Help › Forums

Re: Rory's a quitter!

Thu, Mar 14 2013 8:48 AM (18 replies)
  • PAGES
  • TracyMax
    2,361 Posts
    Tue, Mar 5 2013 8:18 PM

mantis0014:

Listening to what the golf guru's on the radio have been saying it's Mental. Hope he works it out and doesn't go into oblivion like others have.

aka John Daly

• Lobsterboy
    4,729 Posts
    Wed, Mar 6 2013 5:35 AM

mgh221:
    if he indeed has a wisdom tooth acting up

he doesn't . .

Rory McIlroy has admitted he was wrong to withdraw from the Honda Classic.

McIlroy has now told US magazine Sports Illustrated that "it was a reactive decision".

"What I did was not good for the tournament, not good for the kids and the fans who were out there watching me. It was not the right thing to do."

"What I should have done is take my drop, chip it on, try to make a five and play my hardest on the back nine, even if I shot 85," he said.

• mohaviegreen
    404 Posts
    Wed, Mar 6 2013 12:04 PM

Was it a toothache? Not hardly, Rory couldn't handle the poor play. It was an embarrassment to himself. His lack of confidence with this new equipment. I do give him credit for realizing his wrong doing of walking off.Rory will be back. A person of his talents will not falter for long. However, Rory has to know this for himself. Goodluck Rory, you'll be back.            mohaviegreen

• BubbaCrusher007
    1,567 Posts
    Wed, Mar 6 2013 10:42 PM

When Tiger signed his contract with Nike, he wasn't bound to any club contract because Nike didn't even make golf clubs at that time. Tiger was able to gradually fit them into his bag when Nike started making them.

Rory on the other hand is bound to a club contract. He like many many PGA pro's were set up with Titlest clubs and they catered to his every need as far as clubs & took damn good care of Rory.  I find that the most used (that I have noticed) clubs on tour are Titlest. Titlest makes the best ball on tour in my view.

So the equipment change is responable for the poor play to a degree imo. And that can get into your head.

But it's like Nicklaus said the other day about Rory "A carpenter doesn't blame bad work on his tools"; Pros have to adapt to different equipment for instance the different size ball on the Europian tour and such.

Rory won a U.S. open by a landslide. I  highly doubt we have seen the last of his wins.

• Chinajohn
    1,190 Posts
    Wed, Mar 6 2013 11:01 PM

From what I can see and what I've read Rory has always been a peak and trough type player, he hits massive heights and deep lows, he's in a trough right now, he'll climb out.

It is refreshing though to see a top sportsman just stand up and say that he messed up, sorry.

• lochfada
    798 Posts
    Thu, Mar 7 2013 12:12 PM

The man blamed a bad wisdom tooth, he should have had one put in.  I have watched and played golf for sixty years and I have never seen or heard of a golfer giving up because he was having a bad round.  Can you imagine the likes of Jack Nicklaus, Ben Hogan Sam Snead , Seve, Greg Norman walking off because they wasn;t in the rght frame of mind.

He behavd like a big girls blouse and deserves all the criticism he gets, What an advert for young kids

No matter how many apology' s he makes e will always be the golfer who walked whn the going got tough

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Fri, Mar 8 2013 4:51 AM

TracyMax:

mantis0014:

Listening to what the golf guru's on the radio have been saying it's Mental. Hope he works it out and doesn't go into oblivion like others have.

aka John Daly

lol....yes John Daly.  He has stormed off the course the most maybe...lol.  I must admit, he is still good value to go and watch.

• fecks11
    235 Posts
    Fri, Mar 8 2013 4:50 PM

Pity you never learned compassion and understanding in those 60+ years. I take it you never made a mistake or an error of judgement in your youth.

• mara43
    1,674 Posts
    Thu, Mar 14 2013 8:48 AM

lochfada:
    I have watched and played golf for sixty years and I have never seen or heard of a golfer giving up because he was having a bad round

You need to look a little closer:

Bobby Jones 1921 British Open (as it was then called)

Ronan Rafferty 1991 US Open (was heavily fined)

John Daly 2012 Australian Open

All related to poor play & not medical etc....

• PAGES
RSS