Help › Forums

Re: The "Beast" in putting

rated by 0 users
Mon, Mar 16 2009 8:28 PM (13 replies)
  • PAGES
  • FreddyFox
    60 Posts
    Mon, Mar 16 2009 12:36 PM

The "beast" as people are putting it, is a bunch of bulls%@&. While it is true that the game of golf will never be conquered and is not a perfect game, there is a difference between realistic golf and realistic computer golf. This is supposed to be the latter. It is built on computer programming and calculation, not random interjection. And while true that when you play this game you shouldn't get the same result everytime you hit a shot, a little more consistency is called for. I've hit very similar shots on the stroke play events and challenges and have received far different results (like 20-30 feet difference). The wind in this game is completely useless as well. If I hit a perfect shot with a crosswind, the wind is supposed to affect it in the appropriate manner, not completely start it offline.

This is a free game, I understand, but there are prizes and things of value at stake here and I would hope there would be more consistency because of it.

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Mon, Mar 16 2009 2:22 PM

For a better understanding of what exactly "The Beast" is, I'd recommend reading my post in THIS THREAD.  It'll give you a better idea of WHY things happen, so you can better understand what's going on.  You'll be equipped to analyze it properly and then we can try to help them come up with good solutions.

• FreddyFox
    60 Posts
    Mon, Mar 16 2009 3:33 PM

Read your thread previously. Still gives me no comfort. I'm not asking for precision. Just consistency. See the problem is right now, the variance everyone is discussing just seems more like randomness to me. I agree, a targeting circle would be more acceptable, and would help with the realism. But right now, there are stroke play tourneys going on that are one-and-done deals. And with each stroke being really valuable, combining that with a variable that cannot be accounted for, it becomes guess work. The different clubs and their characteristics will undoubtedly affect accuracy/distance etc. But since those clubs don't exist right now, I view the stroke play tourney's as more lottery than anything else. Again, not asking for precision. That's for dumb video games. I enjoy this site and game very much because of it's relative realism and will continue to play. I just have some issues with this little variable that keeps getting thrown in.

• drivnchaos
    286 Posts
    Mon, Mar 16 2009 8:28 PM

In my humble opinion...

Not calling to question anyones playing abilitity.

The home page of this site says  " the most realistic "

If X truely marks the spot, try it.  Go to your favorite putting green and put a x to place your ball on. Now hit your ball, same power, same aim. Make sure you square your shoulders... Ever hit the same shot twice ?  Don't think Tiger could pull that off.

I'm not trying to be an a**h*** here, just trying to be  "realistic"

I watched the opening match play tourney of the season on the golf channel... even the pro's launched em'  into the desert, and this is how they make their living !

Lets enjoy this game for what it is... Ever changing and always different.

Just my two cents...

Enjoy your play

Mike  

• PAGES
RSS