Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Tiger +9

Sun, May 9 2010 12:30 AM (6 replies)
  • SkeeterZ71
    171 Posts
    Sat, May 1 2010 1:42 AM

Tiger's demise today at the Quail Hollow Championship 2nd round was painful to watch. My advice to Tiger would be quit practicing on TWO and start practicing on WGT. I'm sure his game would improve!

• smason77
    464 Posts
    Sat, May 1 2010 7:27 PM

I usually only watch the majors. Just read about all the other tourneys.

Tiger is definitely what anyone in the psychological field would consider to be an egomaniac.

Some would say he's classless. Others might say his mental faculties are pretty typical of a young man coming up on the Tour the way he did; Dominant.

Nevertheless.. the fame and fortune have gone to his head.. and this poor showing at Quail Hollow is no doubt messing with his mind. Maybe that's what he needs. To realize that he's only human and not as better than everyone as he apparently believes.

Anyone who plays golf knows that it's mostly a mental game. Tiger's going to have to do some serious soul searching to wipe that dirty mind clean, IMHO.

We have all seen how tough his competitive edge is, mentally.. but this is different. One can only wonder if he's truly addressing his inner demons.. or just expecting that they'll go away on their own.

We shall see.

• TarheelsRule
    5,462 Posts
    Sun, May 2 2010 1:19 PM

Quail Hollow is a difficult and demanding course, one that Tiger has played well on in the past so it does fit his eye.  Maybe not as good as a busty blonde in a short skirt but that is another story.  Tiger played poorly on Thursday and continued to do so on Friday.  On the back side after a couple of quick bogies made the cut out of reach he certainly appeared to be tanking it.  I was surprised that I didn't see Steve Williams on the cell phone having them warm up the Gulfstream and ordering some food for the home trip.  Tiger needs to become tournament tough again and that will take some time, he appears to be hearing things that aren't there and waiting for the crowds to react to him.  He will get plenty of crowd noise at the Players.

• blackbeard
    288 Posts
    Sun, May 2 2010 2:37 PM

Watching him tank after the front 9, I couldn't help but wonder what role Stevie really plays.....a caddie is there to gee his guy / gal up, overcome the bad blips etc etc. But more than TW's meltdown, it showed me that this pairing is on a very short leash from here on in, and I would not be surprised if Tiger cuts the cord soon.

Which, in all probability, would be a bad thing, as what Tiger wants to hear is a rah rah rah caddie i.e. subdued Steve (after all, the last thing a caddie will say in these circumstances is "Pull yourself together"......insert pun here) But what he really needs is the old Stevie - throwing cameras in the pond, protecting his guy etc etc. I think it will be very interesting over the next few months - we could see the demise of one of the greatest ever golfers, or we could see his caddie throttle him (metaphorically at least) and get him back to his old self

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Mon, May 3 2010 1:08 AM

Tiger will either come back or not. He needs to get back with Harmon. He needs to get back to his true direction and forget who he is. Just play.

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Sat, May 8 2010 4:43 PM

That's a great observation SweetiePie. It seems he's hanging on to the baggage. Still a great golfer nonetheless.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Sun, May 9 2010 12:30 AM

Richard4168:

That's a great observation SweetiePie. It seems he's hanging on to the baggage. Still a great golfer nonetheless.

Thank you Richard. Harmon is a direct link(the only one that remains) to Hogan and the perfect swing, or should I say the perfect combination of it all, to be in concert at the point of impact. Tiger can play better than anyone regardless of swing ideas. He needs to realise that the ideas of Hank Haney are of no value to him in any way.

RSS