Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Anyone going down to Augusta to watch?

rated by 0 users
Sat, Apr 10 2010 10:44 AM (8 replies)
  • eternalspirit
    255 Posts
    Fri, Apr 9 2010 8:37 AM

Just thought i'd open a thread to see which WGT members are going to watch the masters at Augusta

WGT should offer a big prize to the  member to get on TV holding a banner with "WGT.com" and their username on it.

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Fri, Apr 9 2010 9:31 AM

Let's see.. spending that much money for a badge at Augusta, just to be shoved out the gate at the first hint of impropriety?

LOL.. no thanks.

I do wish I was there, though...

• AlaCowboy
    1,321 Posts
    Fri, Apr 9 2010 12:11 PM

eternalspirit:

Just thought i'd open a thread to see which WGT members are going to watch the masters at Augusta

WGT should offer a big prize to the  member to get on TV holding a banner with "WGT.com" and their username on it.

Not my year for going, so will watch it on TV. We have 4 tickets, but they are shared with some friends. This year they get all 4, next year I get them, then the year after we get 2 each. That's our rotation. I usually go to the Wednesday Par 3 round too. That is much fun to see. 

• rehill
    431 Posts
    Fri, Apr 9 2010 8:35 PM

AlaCowboy:

eternalspirit:

Not my year for going, so will watch it on TV. We have 4 tickets, but they are shared with some friends. This year they get all 4, next year I get them, then the year after we get 2 each. That's our rotation. I usually go to the Wednesday Par 3 round too. That is much fun to see. 

AlaCowboy, do you live fairly close to Augusta?

• jakestanfill7
    949 Posts
    Fri, Apr 9 2010 8:44 PM

I'll be there in style.  Usually go down for Wednesday practice round and par 3 contest.  By far the most fun because you can take cameras and get closer to players.  Have to settle for FREE Sunday tickets this year.  LOL  My buddy's grandma lives right across from the main gate too.  Weather is supposed to be 77 and sunny.  Poised for a perfect day!

Privileged to live in Athens Ga only about 1:!5 from the hallowed track and know many people with connections to Augusta National.  My father also played on the defensive line at University of GA with Billy Payne so hopefully I can work that connection for a loop one day.  Almost had it worked out for my 40th birthday last year but didn't quite work out.  :(

For those who have never been, it is truly one of the most amazing places you will ever see.....and feel.  The wave of emotion that overcomes me every time I descend the stone steps down to the course is absolutely indescribable.

• brandi35
    295 Posts
    Fri, Apr 9 2010 8:53 PM

Awesome Jakey!!!  I hope you have a great time there!!  I am jealous....Since WGT, I have been watching the Masters and just loving it, and to think I thought Golf on TV was boring.  Now I get it....LOL....wish I could get my WGT game dialed in....LOL

B

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Fri, Apr 9 2010 9:06 PM

My Father has been several times. He says the TV views can never allow anyone to appreciate the extreme hilly elevations that exist from top to bottom.

• AlaCowboy
    1,321 Posts
    Sat, Apr 10 2010 10:29 AM

rehill:

AlaCowboy:

eternalspirit:

AlaCowboy, do you live fairly close to Augusta?

I lived in the Atlanta area for about 40 years, but have recently retired to the family farm in Alabama. 

• AlaCowboy
    1,321 Posts
    Sat, Apr 10 2010 10:44 AM

jakestanfill7:

I'll be there in style.  Usually go down for Wednesday practice round and par 3 contest.  By far the most fun because you can take cameras and get closer to players.  Have to settle for FREE Sunday tickets this year.  LOL  My buddy's grandma lives right across from the main gate too.  Weather is supposed to be 77 and sunny.  Poised for a perfect day!

Privileged to live in Athens Ga only about 1:!5 from the hallowed track and know many people with connections to Augusta National.  My father also played on the defensive line at University of GA with Billy Payne so hopefully I can work that connection for a loop one day.  Almost had it worked out for my 40th birthday last year but didn't quite work out.  :(

For those who have never been, it is truly one of the most amazing places you will ever see.....and feel.  The wave of emotion that overcomes me every time I descend the stone steps down to the course is absolutely indescribable.

I was at Georgia the same time as your dad. I knew him casually, but know Billy Payne rather well. I played baseball, not football, for the Dawgs.

The Par 3 is an awesome event. Many of the golfers bring their children to caddy for them and everyone has great fun. It's the best chance to get your favorite golfers autograph and sometimes a moment to chat with them.

Just a note on the Par 3. About 4 years ago Arnie was paired with a young golfer. The young man hit his shot on the 8th (I think) to about 6" past the hole.

Arnie asked him to go mark his ball. The youngster didn't want to, so after a minute of discussion Arnie said, "Go mark your damned ball!"

He did. Arnie hit his shot a foot past the mark and it backed up into the hole. The crowd razzed the young man relentlessly, with good humor.

RSS