Forums

Help › Forums

G0LD's putting formula UPDATED.

Sat, Oct 30 2021 12:38 AM (202 replies)
  • G0LD
    358 Posts
    Sat, Apr 21 2012 1:56 PM

The quirks highlighted by chris. are true to some limited extent, and yet do not void the effort of finding a general guideline, from which this hole or that hole may veer by a margin that must indeed be memorized.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Apr 21 2012 2:01 PM

Gold-I'm looking to streamline the aiming part and for the longest time I have played breaks "by the grid," so to speak. It starts with a line perpendicular to the line that runs through the hole. Then adjustments are made from there based on the speed of the dots crossing that line. This was based pretty much on visualizing a flat grid and then visualizing how the green tilts. Your method may well improve on this. Thanks.

• G0LD
    358 Posts
    Sat, Apr 21 2012 2:03 PM

Thank you, Jim.

• Woodoworkery
    3,498 Posts
    Sat, Apr 21 2012 2:07 PM

Still working with the formula, and still proves it's inconstancy. 5 holes dead on 6, 7,8 way off. Sometimes telling me to move almost the width of the grid when I know it is only 1/2  the grid. I guess it's great for single play but in a Tourney with someone, it just takes to long to calculate 

Don't get me wrong I want this formula to work, but everytime I say " yeah I got this " it prove wrong. 

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Apr 21 2012 2:13 PM

Your memory is always going to trump any formula. That's where Chris' take is. If you know it and made it before, stay with it. 

• chrisironsbones
    3,524 Posts
    Sat, Apr 21 2012 2:17 PM

YankeeJim:

Your memory is always going to trump any formula. That's where Chris' take is. If you know it and made it before, stay with it. 

SO would be handy if i was starting from scratch, could implement the formula as a basic rule, then see how far left or right you need to aim if it misses for the next time you are on that hole, that could lead to being able to take down notes accurately, thus leading to better putting in the long run (and a whole lot of paper work) if you had the time.

• skccvb
    799 Posts
    Sat, Apr 21 2012 2:21 PM

For all of the work on this, I still fail to see a true 'formula' that one can quickly implement in one's head which significantly improves putting. Too many swing thoughts overcomplicate a process that is best left to experience, feel and execution. Read the putt by knowing where you are on the green and 'feeling' the speed of the moving balls, recall previous 'failed' as well as successful putts, adjust, determine how hard to hit, combine with break and hit. I make a lot more putts when I simply am confident that experience can 'will it into the hole' from any distance- and rarely have a knee knocker when I miss. Good luck, though!

• Woodoworkery
    3,498 Posts
    Sat, Apr 21 2012 2:21 PM

YankeeJim:

Agreed , but all that does is weakin your confidence in the formula. It is great and the key is putting  the right value on the dots, and that is where the error accusers, and it may even accumulate, which I think is what 's happening to give such a large movement 

• skccvb
    799 Posts
    Sat, Apr 21 2012 2:40 PM

Woodoworkery:
    the key is putting  the right value on the dots

And that is precisely why this is not an 'exact science' and never can be. It will always be an approximation of 'feel' rather than a formula which when precisely followed, works time after time. You are attempting to create the 'holy grail' of putting on WGT where none exists. If it did, top players like Bollox would already have found it, and they would NEVER miss if they executed perfectly (which would be 99% of the time). Boil it down- this conversation is more about teaching 'feel' than it is replacing it with something mathematically precise- will always be approximately correct. Is it useful - perhaps to some. I just find it confusing and laborious- and way too slow.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Apr 21 2012 5:33 PM

skccvb:
    this conversation is more about teaching 'feel' than it is replacing it with something mathematically precise-

This is exactly right and Gold refers to that in his ministrations. Long time players have figured this out by trial and error whereas newer players will now have a way to get close enough, often enough, to develop that feel. 

Nothing with a random number generator involved is ever going to be empirical but this does a good job of coming close.

RSS