• G0LD
    358 Posts
    Sat, Apr 21 2012 10:35 AM

Yes, badaboom, you're correct.

And you are most welcome!

• G0LD
    358 Posts
    Sat, Apr 21 2012 10:56 AM

And I invite those who frown on the technical aspect of my formula, and choose to putt simply by roughly guessing the break at a glance, to ignore it, with my best wishes. It is hardly fair to blindly downgrade my post because it is not one's cup of tee :-)

• chrisironsbones
    3,524 Posts
    Sat, Apr 21 2012 11:48 AM

Dukiedong:

Holy Shite!!!!! I think I'm gonna have to kidnap a mathamagician to explain the above formula to me. I think I will just stick with my "feel" method of putting it seems to have served me well so far. I must say the above formula is very impressive...I think? lol

Same here, all that mathematics and complicity and i bet any $$ i putt better with my see & feel method than any maths formula, and if you think you can prove me wrong, invite me for match....LOL.  But i doubt i would accept, as i dont fancy waiting 90 seconds each putt whilst you note down the formula x xy% = cabo break = not true times x to the power of y.

But if it works for you, go for it, but personally its best just to memorise roughly how the break played last time you played it. take Whistler #4, no math formula in the world could equate that putt from right side of hole!

• mel1950
    2,887 Posts
    Sat, Apr 21 2012 12:11 PM

I think I have a headache!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mel

• rjs1969
    196 Posts
    Sat, Apr 21 2012 12:21 PM

Now we know what happened to TIGER WOODS.

Gold sent him that article. Now Tiger is walking around in  a daze, trying to work it all out!  

; )

• kmarline21
    442 Posts
    Sat, Apr 21 2012 12:54 PM

All the work you put into that is amazing very nice . But if it got around and works the way you say it should and everyone starts making every putt how fun would that be? just like if every time you hit the ball you got an ace it would not be long before the game got very boring. it is all the missed putts that make the hard 1s you make feel so good just like an ace if you made 1 every time how long would the game be fun . I don't want to make every putt and I don't want an ace on every hole and wouldn't WGT just keep changing the way the putting works  anyway still a nice job good work hope the game stays fun for those that make every putt  

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Apr 21 2012 1:27 PM

G0LD:
    You take the stated distance between you and the hole: 13 feet, and adjust this number by factoring in the slope. In this example the slope is 6 inches downwards

I'm confused. The link you gave doesn't show this.This is what I see from that link.

G0LD:
    ) You take the stated distance between you and the hole: 13 feet, and adjust this number by factoring in the slope. In this example the slope is 6 inches downwards (shown by the color red on the grid, whereas black shows a flat surface and blue an upward one). You add this number of inches to the number of feet, which gives the number 19. 

By adding the elevation drop, you're actually powering up when you would normally be powering down. Is this because you've worked that out as part of your break computation and the power computation is as laid out in the initial thread, basically a separate operation? I'm assuming it is as you cover power in your example later.

A funny aside, as you started your example I could see what was coming and had 16 in mind before the end of the sentence. LOL. 

• chrisironsbones
    3,524 Posts
    Sat, Apr 21 2012 1:47 PM

This will never be that accurate.  If you have a certain speed moving dots on Congressional and exactly the same speed dots on R.S.G , if you use same aim point on both, it doesn't mean they both go in.  On some holes the break what is shown is not as strong as its actually indicated.  Best thing is just to memorise from playing that particular hole.  Some holes with down slope you have to really exaggerate aim left or right as the break will turn ball loads (hence having to tap it due to downslope) yet some down slopes the ball doesn't turn as much.  Its best to memorize than equate (erize)

• G0LD
    358 Posts
    Sat, Apr 21 2012 1:48 PM

Two different operations, yes, for the break and the power adjustments.

As I wrote, Jim:

"Adjust the distance when gauging power by factoring in the slope differently than when gauging break."

As for the image, it is meant to illustrate the example, and give a concrete view of basic concepts, like grid line and break dots.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Apr 21 2012 1:50 PM

Hey Chris. You took your shot on page 1. Never having tried it you have no business judging it, leave it alone. It's fun, if one is so inclined. Go memorize some more.

RSS