Forums

Help › Forums

G0LD's putting formula UPDATED.

Sat, Oct 30 2021 12:38 AM (202 replies)
  • RootsRo
    419 Posts
    Tue, Jun 19 2012 8:22 AM

Hi Gold,

I stumbled upon this thread again when searching for ways to improve my putting. The first time i saw it i got lost pretty fast most part because i am still fairly new to the game. Lately i am in the middle of one of these famous putting downswings so i was in search of some help.

Because my putting is the biggest flaw in my game at the moment i am going to give your formula a try and worked it into a spreadsheet. I will keep you informed on the progress. If you want, i will be happy to share the sheet with you. 

Thanks for sharing your hard work, it is not very usual for people to share their knowledge without reward. To me this makes you a asset to this community. Be proud!

Greeting RootsRo The Netherlands

Edit : before i start mailing everyone the sheet i want to make sure it is sound and working correctly. for now my offer goes out to gold. Also because he can maybe help me fine tune the formula

• Richard1201
    822 Posts
    Tue, Jun 19 2012 9:11 AM

I would appreciate any help I can get. You could e-mail me at richard@twocan-intl.com. Thanks in anticipation

• RootsRo
    419 Posts
    Wed, Jun 20 2012 3:53 AM

Hey again,

I started using the formula with mixed results. Played a round on Congressional and a round on St Andy's. Had some nice putts roll in but also some pretty wide misses. Hardest thing so far is reading  the break an giving it the right number. At first it is very time consuming but it seems to go faster every time i do it. Also putting speed is key. 

Some questions :  Do i use the corrected putting distance for the calculation or the indicated one? It seems the corrected is the one i need to use but i like to be sure

Am i correct in assuming a square is 2 ft making the number of parallel lines distance/2 ?

Greets Roots Roderik

• RichieKraft
    5 Posts
    Wed, Jun 20 2012 1:01 PM

G0LD:

"Simple", lol, yikes! Can you tell me how to record voice plus live pay directly from within the PC? I sure don't.

There's a neat little app that will do this for you called: FRAPS  (the free version will do)

I used to use it mainly for benchmarking fps after system tweaks in the shoot-em-up games I played, but it will record LIVE gameplay as well as voiceover.

(If you're so inclined)

btw, thank you for the great advice...   kind of like Plumb-bobbing with numbers..too cool

• G0LD
    358 Posts
    Thu, Jun 21 2012 9:32 AM

"There's a neat little app... called: FRAPS... it will record LIVE game play as well as voice over...

...thank you for the great advice...  too cool."

Good info and kind words, Richie. Thank you.

• G0LD
    358 Posts
    Thu, Jun 21 2012 9:40 AM

"Because my putting is the biggest flaw in my game at the moment, I am going to give your formula a try.... I will keep you informed on the progress...

Thanks for sharing your hard work; it is not very usual for people to share their knowledge without reward. To me this makes you an asset to this community. Be proud!"

Heart-warming words like yours are the reward, thank you, Roots.

And let me know if I can further help you.

• G0LD
    358 Posts
    Thu, Jun 21 2012 10:25 AM

"Hardest thing so far is reading the break and giving it the right number. At first it is very time consuming but it seems to go faster every time I do it. Also putting speed is key."

Very true, Roots.

"Do I use the corrected putting distance for the calculation or the indicated one?"

The corrected putting distance is the relevant one in all upward or downward putts (for more details, please refer to my updated formula on page 1.

"Am I correct in assuming a square is 2 ft making the number of parallel lines distance/2?"

Interesting question. I have personally never made that assumption, but count the lines as I time the moving dots along each of them. Anyway, the validity of the said assumption is easy to test. Look at my illustration img.php?image=014688224 Puttingillustration 122 561lo.jpg (click the back arrow or backspace to return to this post after having viewed the illustration): 7 parallel lines = 6 squares in an 11-foot putt. Therefore you are off by a short hair, :-).

Mind you, you could argue that the ball and the flag are not exactly on the first and last lines respectively. Now we're splitting hairs, lol.

All the best!

• RootsRo
    419 Posts
    Sun, Jun 24 2012 10:39 AM

Thx for the reply Gold,

My experiences with your formula vary. Some great putts but also some wide misses. What it did for me is that i started to take more time judging my puts and this has led to better results so far.

The last few rounds i did not use the complete calculations but i do look at every grid line and judge it being slow/not so slow/fast/relly fast/somewhat fast/wow/rly?/etc and adjust my aim accordingly. So basically it has made my feel more accurate. I will revisit the formula every now and than to hone putting skills even more. Especially when in a downswing it will make me think  about / readjust my basics

This among other thing led to a win on a 100cr R&G on Olympic fr 9 shooting my 9 hole best of 26 ( actually my best is a -9 on St Andys)

P.S. whats up with some of the camera angles on Kia greens coming from an angle?

• G0LD
    358 Posts
    Mon, Jun 25 2012 7:06 PM

In my experience, wide misses are always a product of miscalculations, based on misreads.And God knows a great many putts on wgt are very hard to read, due to inconsistencies between front and reverse views!

Anyway, I'm glad you derived some benefit from my work.

As for odd angles to shoot from, wgt does its best to provide a vast array of camera angles to match your position in relation to the hole, but sometimes it comes a bit short of the sweet spot.

Take care!

• Dave571
    21 Posts
    Sun, Jul 1 2012 6:03 PM

Just wanted to say thanks Gold, I kinda use a revised version of yours so it doesnt take as long to figure when ur on a timer. Your formula works great, it has already taken a lot of strokes off my putting. Use this it works ! Thanks again for all the hard work and the excellent info. 

RSS