Forums

Help › Forums

G0LD's putting formula UPDATED.

Sat, Oct 30 2021 12:38 AM (202 replies)
  • JimbeauC
    5,835 Posts
    Sun, May 13 2012 8:32 AM

GOLD,

It's been a while since I perused this thread. WOW. Started to read, but was overwhelmed. Anyway, on to a thought I had. You can skip the history paragraph if you like. It's likely that this has already been covered. If so, I apologize for wasting a few minutes of your time. 

I was intrigued by your method and used it with some success, my main problem being how to judge the value of the moving dots. In a PM session with one of the experienced members of my CC, I learned his method. Putting the two together increased my success somewhat. Then I had a blinding flash of inspiration. I set up a pretty much level 40 foot putt at Kiawah #1. (Tourney Speed) I wrote down the dot speed data. I replayed it over and over, timing it, checking distance traveled second by second. It took 5 seconds for the putt to reach the 40 foot mark. It continued for the anticipated 2 feet. In the first second it traveled 12 feet - 2nd second 10 feet. and continued to decelerate at a rate of 2 feet per second per second. Watching how the putt broke, the faster it was going, the less the effect, just like in real golf. 

Bottom line: On longer putts, especially, it seems that the early crossed lines have a diminished effect due to speed. The latter, more, due to slower speed, with an exponential change in the middle. Kind of makes my head hurt. Not sure how this could be applied. Just food for thought. 

Anyway, thanks again and again. 

• G0LD
    358 Posts
    Mon, May 14 2012 5:43 AM

These are sound observations, Jim, and I thank you for sharing them with everyone on this thread. Do note, however, that the formula discreetly accounts for these variations as the ball decelerates. The added subtle adjustments have to be done by the user on a course by course basis, depending on the speed of the greens. Take for example the Congressional, with very fast greens. I personally shave 2 points off the end break value and shoot one foot beyond the hole.

Take care.

• MikeSaxon
    177 Posts
    Mon, May 14 2012 8:37 AM

If, when you're taking ten minutes to line-up a 9 inch putt, your wife walks by and smacks you over the head and screams ''GET A LIFE'', does it put you off?

• G0LD
    358 Posts
    Mon, May 14 2012 2:52 PM

MikeSaxon:

If, when you're taking ten minutes to line-up a 9 inch putt, your wife walks by and smacks you over the head and screams ''GET A LIFE'', does it put you off?

Perhaps you can open your mind beyond the obvious and suspicious pleasure you take in ridiculing others, wide enough to grasp this notion: people - even those with various meaningful occupations - have pastimes, and among these pastimes are sports, real or virtual, in which they often care to perform very well, if not exceptionally so, as a matter of pride. To that effect, they commonly work hard at perfecting their skills.

Incidentally, any moderately intelligent player can do the math required in my formula in far less time than you assume it takes. Anyway, if this thread means nothing to you, then simply move on, with my best wishes.

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Mon, May 14 2012 3:03 PM

What's the correlation of the number of seconds to the swing meter? In other words, how far does the meter need to be pulled back in relation to the number of seconds?

• G0LD
    358 Posts
    Mon, May 14 2012 3:59 PM

Richard, the number of seconds relates to the break of the putt, and the swing meter relates to the power of the putt. These are two different things, which nonetheless are not separate, as evidenced by the fact that extra power in putting requires a corresponding reduction in break. 

• MikeSaxon
    177 Posts
    Tue, May 15 2012 9:14 AM

G0LD:
    Perhaps you can open your mind beyond the obvious and suspicious pleasure you take in ridiculing others etc etc.

Gold, the next time the wife is clattering your napper . . . you might also feel me pulling your leg.

Toodle pip.

• G0LD
    358 Posts
    Tue, May 15 2012 7:29 PM

I sent the wife on an indefinite cruise, named The Titanic.

:-)

• unipet
    14 Posts
    Mon, May 21 2012 2:21 PM

THANKS FOR THE UP-DATE AND THE TIME AND EFFORT FOR ALL THE QUESTIONS u HAVE REPLIED TO.  IT'S BEEN FUN TMO TRY AND OCCASIONALLY SUCCESS. 

• G0LD
    358 Posts
    Mon, May 21 2012 7:25 PM

"THANKS FOR THE UP-DATE AND THE TIME AND EFFORT FOR ALL... "

You are most welcome, my friend :-)

RSS