Forums

Help › Forums

Short Game Profile

Tue, Mar 9 2010 12:46 AM (34 replies)
  • ncviz
    527 Posts
    Tue, Mar 2 2010 6:15 AM

Nice work Inf, but I would have to agree with lverti on this. Any measure should always have total holes played in the formula. I mean if you did this on the PGA tour the veteran players would always be at the top, just because they have more rounds under their belt.

Since the list is fairly short right now, I took the liberty of running some numbers and you can see how total Ham & Eggs has very little to do with "real" up and down % when you leave out total holes played. I added Lee and BB, best players on the site IMO, and also icon, one of the best up and down players we have, hope you guys don't mind me adding ya :p ;).

iconian 83.6%
    BolloxinBruges 82.9%
    ncviz 72.0%
    marioh 69.1%
    Infinito3010 68.9%
    SweetiePie 66.3%
    lkennedy 63.2%
    lverti 60.5%
    Richard4168 59.3%
    danohi50 45.5%

This is using lvterti's formula, it's basically the up and down %, when you miss the green how good are you at getting par. All the catergories used to my knowledge have been from the start of one's play, know SP was questioning that, so should be good from that standpoint.

You're asking for 6 things right now, well 10 go into this. Maybe that will be too much work I suppose maybe not. But shouldn't the goal be to accurately try to obtain a good short game tendency? Anyway, good work, love the numbers :).

• marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Tue, Mar 2 2010 6:25 AM

My recovery numbers would be much better if not for around a dozen or so rounds where I was screwing around and maxed out every hole.   :)

• Infinito3010
    3,689 Posts
    Tue, Mar 2 2010 6:33 AM

Agreed it has to have number of holes completed.  However, my stats at my current level of play is wrong

So those numbers are irrevalent for some players.  As I recall some of you had your stats reset prior to June of 2009. 

The numbers as you have shown, is accumlative for most players.    You would think I am a better player now than when I first joined WGT .  

In order for the stats to be realistic only the last 100 rounds should be factored in, hence you have a moving average and more indicative of your skill level.

For example in the last 2 days my H&E award went form 4454 to 4469.  With all do respect you don't shoot 29, 28, 59 and 60 without the ability to get up and down.

• marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Tue, Mar 2 2010 6:53 AM

I'm surprised so few people have participated in this.   :(

Infinito3010:

Agreed it has to have number of holes completed.  However, my stats at my current level of play is wrong

So those numbers are irrevalent for some players.  As I recall some of you had your stats reset prior to June of 2009. 

The numbers as you have shown, is accumlative for most players.    You would think I am a better player now than when I first joined WGT .  

In order for the stats to be realistic only the last 100 rounds should be factored in, hence you have a moving average and more indicative of your skill level.

For example in the last 2 days my H&E award went form 4454 to 4469.  With all do respect you don't shoot 29, 28, 59 and 60 without the ability to get up and down.

Sadly, WGT still hasn't implemented some sort of filtering system for the stats, so besides scoring, it's impossible to extract the data needed for everything listed on the spreadsheet for the last 100 rounds.

I've actually been keeping a spreadsheet myself for my scores since late november, so I could extract numbers like how I have shot in the last 100 rounds, scoring average for specific Ready Go's and specific courses, etc.   I can even pull up averages before and after I upgraded to the G10's.   :)

• ncviz
    527 Posts
    Tue, Mar 2 2010 7:01 AM

You know Marioh you could say that about everyone really, I know you could about me. I mess around all the time, even had Tibbets accuse me of sandbagging at one point, lol. Maybe Lee and BB doesn't do that so much, but with so many ranked rounds to me that's just has a small effect on the numbers.

Infinito3010, I don't think those stats have ever been reset. Someone can certainly correct me if I have it wrong, but I remember that being a big gripe everyone had (everyone wanted them to be reset) but WGT decided to never touch them. That can also go both ways, many of us that have been here longer have more rounds with "starters" than anyone else, since they were the only clubs available. Now some of the rewards were not retroactive but Ham and Eggs was not one of them. I agree a smaller window would give ya a better perspective of one's ability, but we just don't have those numbers, yet, hopefully in the future.

• Infinito3010
    3,689 Posts
    Tue, Mar 2 2010 7:06 AM

Wow,  what you have done in spreadsheet form is ambitious.  I keep track of every round completed including CTTH. The data is analyzed separately depending on course, ie front 9, back 9, full 18 or CTTH.  A moving average is calculated to show a trend analysis for stroke play.  Averages are calculated for CTTH, lowest score and highest are displayed as well as current average and previous average.  The trend analysis is based on 171 scores entered.  The data is segregated and moved to the appropriate venues.  I have saved every score since August 20th, 2009.  As of this morning that represents 1550 data points.

• marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Tue, Mar 2 2010 7:12 AM

ncviz:

You know Marioh you could say that about everyone really, I know you could about me. I mess around all the time, even had Tibbets accuse me of sandbagging at one point, lol. Maybe Lee and BB doesn't do that so much, but with so many ranked rounds to me that's just has a small effect on the numbers.

True, but how many Master tier players do you know who managed to get a 100+ average on more than one occasion.   That's serious dedication to sandbagging !  :)

*this was before the advent of matchplay challenge, which I haven't played anyways, so my inflated average at the time had no bearing on anything*

• Infinito3010
    3,689 Posts
    Tue, Mar 2 2010 7:15 AM

Agreed ncviz that the number of ranked rounds played plays an important role.  As of this morning that number is 1785 ranked rounds since I joined WGT.  Thus, the impact it has on the stats is minor if you factor all the putts, etc, etc.   Exactly, the window as you describe should be recent. 

I did read that the players stats were reset at the beginning of 2009.

For example, my stats as of Aug 20th, 2009

1. avg                             67.31
    2. Driving accuracy     78.8%
    3. GIR                            46.58%
    4. Ranked rounds       719

Stats as of Feb 26, 2010

1. avg                             59.31
    2. Driving Accuracy     82.32%
    3. GIR                            67.38
    4. Ranked Rounds    1748

The statistics for Driving Accuracy and GIR are WGT values which I record once a week into a spreadsheet.

• marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Tue, Mar 2 2010 7:26 AM

Infinito3010:

Wow,  what you have done in spreadsheet form is ambitious.  I keep track of every round completed including CTTH. The data is analyzed separately depending on course, ie front 9, back 9, full 18 or CTTH.  A moving average is calculated to show a trend analysis for stroke play.  Averages are calculated for CTTH, lowest score and highest are displayed as well as current average and previous average.  The trend analysis is based on 171 scores entered.  The data is segregated and moved to the appropriate venues.  I have saved every score since August 20th, 2009.  As of this morning that represents 1550 data points.

I wish I had started my spreadsheet earlier than I did.

I'll probably post some stats on my profile from it in the next few days.

Most likely along the lines of:

Ready Go scoring averages by particular ready go tournament (Kiawah F9, Back 9, 18)

9/18 hole scoring averages pre G10 and post G10

Scoring average over last 100 rounds (or by week/month)

Averages by course (much harder for me to compile since the course is not listed for the weekly and monthly tournys).

• Infinito3010
    3,689 Posts
    Tue, Mar 2 2010 7:37 AM

I'm looking forward to when you can save your scorecard.  Hopefully, WGT will include putting distances etc.  Then I will have to set up a new spreadsheet where it will read the data, segregate it, and do all the trends, etc, etc, etc.

RSS