Forums

Help › Forums

Short Game Profile

Tue, Mar 9 2010 12:46 AM (34 replies)
  • Infinito3010
    3,689 Posts
    Mon, Mar 1 2010 9:08 AM

There is a google spreadsheet that I developed to keep track your progress in WGT.  Essentially it defines your short game.  I apologize but the spreadsheet is sorted by the Ham and Egg award.  But it can be sorted by any criteria that we want.

The required data are

1. name
    2. Ham and Egg
    3. Sandman
    4. Number of approaches that are holed. 
    5. Bottom of the Cup for 9
    6. Bottom of the Cup for 18
    7. Number of flag-sticks hit

You can manually input your data here and view the updated table using this link.

One can input as many times as he/she wants to update the table with their current results.  The Standings reflect your current results. But I would stress, leave it to once a week.

• lvietri
    3,326 Posts
    Mon, Mar 1 2010 9:40 AM

Nice recap on short game progress.   Any chance you can just add the number of ranked rounds to it in column 1 to give some perspective to how many games are played to achieve these ?   If I remember right Ranked Rounds are all that's counted in these awards.

• Infinito3010
    3,689 Posts
    Mon, Mar 1 2010 9:59 AM

Yes it is possible to add ranked rounds.   However, I would like to put it in the last column and do some math on the other columns specifically on the Ham and Egg, Sandman, holed approach shots and hit the flag-stick awards.  The number would be a reflection on the number of ranked rounds. 

Hence the smaller the ratio of (Ham and Egg)/(Ranked rounds) is better as your missing less fairways and greens in regulation

Keep the feedback coming, and lets see what we can come up with.

• lvietri
    3,326 Posts
    Mon, Mar 1 2010 10:50 AM

Thanks Infinito ... if you really want to do it right ... short game proficiency could be  defined by what percentage of the times you miss the GIR do you make par or better.  Here's what I do ... (and yes it's very obvious --- I have no life).   

If you add the holes you played which are right in your profile and I think are used for stats purposes .... (birdies, pars, bogeys) and multiply by your GIR percentage (again in your profile) .. you can get the total Grees you hit in Reg ... and of course by subtracting you can determine those you missed in reg.     Divide your Ham & Eggs by the total greens missed and in my case I get 60.5% which means when I miss a Green in Reg .. I make par or better 60.5% of the time. 

The way I look at my game there are 2 key measurements.  1)  GIR and 2) short game.  Below I've compared them to one of the best on WGT.  

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GIR %  - I only hit 65.7% GIR, AvatarLee hits 81.3%. 

Short Game % - I achieve this 60.5% of the time .. AvatarLee does it  85.3%.

Obviously the higher the % of both .. the better your short game.   

• danohi50
    1,020 Posts
    Mon, Mar 1 2010 10:59 AM

Cool stuff man..i thought I had alot of ranked rounds played...im a joke! lol

• Infinito3010
    3,689 Posts
    Mon, Mar 1 2010 11:42 AM

There are two ways of looking at it.  Your approach is correct as well as mind.  Depends on how you look at it.  As you improve the amount of time you have scramble should decrease.   Hence the ratio of H&E to ranked rounds will decrease.

Question, is will the players take time to provide summary information required, or just have the players input all the data required.   

My opinion most players will not utilize that type spreadsheet due to the amount of data required.  If the data is simple to get and there is not to much of it, they most likely will participate.

The more responses we get the better direction I can take the spreadsheet.

• lvietri
    3,326 Posts
    Mon, Mar 1 2010 11:53 AM

I totally agree .. just displaying  another way to look at it ... :)

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Mon, Mar 1 2010 12:04 PM

lvietri:

Nice recap on short game progress.   Any chance you can just add the number of ranked rounds to it in column 1 to give some perspective to how many games are played to achieve these ?   If I remember right Ranked Rounds are all that's counted in these awards.

The only problem with this idea is twofold with regard to any cogent meaning. The awards schedule now in place came about, what, four months ago? Some of the awards, at least the Ham & Egg, were retroactive, most were not and so anyone that started here prior to this latest award inception would have invalid information ratio wise, in all areas, as compared to a player whose information would be valid because of a start date after this latest format induction.

• lvietri
    3,326 Posts
    Mon, Mar 1 2010 12:37 PM

SweetiePie .. good point and no disagreement from me.   I was focused on the Ham & Egg award .. by the numbers it looked to be retroactive and in line with the number of ranked rounds and holes depicted.   The others are a measure of short game skill but I really didn't look closely at them.    Just thought it would be good to know that my 2500 S&E  done in 1000 rounds vs. someone who had 4000 in 1000 rounds ...

• Infinito3010
    3,689 Posts
    Mon, Mar 1 2010 3:08 PM

The numbers will never reflect your current level of play unless we started from scratch, and everything would need to be recorded.  Thus a moving average could be implemented to represent your stats accurately.   So I suggest to leave things the way they are.

RSS