Forums

Help › Forums

The Book Thread - Tommy's Honor

rated by 0 users
Wed, Mar 3 2010 5:17 PM (8 replies)
  • lvietri
    3,326 Posts
    Mon, Mar 1 2010 7:04 AM

I know for most of you, your spare time is consumed by trying to figure out how these guys break 30 and 60 consistently and striving to do the same.     However some of you may be like me and enjoy a good book once in a while so I thought I'd start "The BookThread."

The release of St. Andrews reminded me of one of the best books I ever read.   It's called:

"Tommy's Honor" by Kevin Cook

This book is the true story of Tom Morris, Golf Pro, Caddie, winner of 4 British Opens and caretaker of St Andrews when golf was in it's infancy.  It tells about his son, Young Tom, and how between them they laid the foundation for the great game we enjoy today.   I just picked it up again and by the 2nd page when they describe the first hole at St Andrews I decided to re-read the whole thing.

I highly recommend you buy, borrow or go to your public library and get this book if you are fan of St Andrews.   The history and nostalgia is just fabulous.

If any of you have read any other good books on Golf ... post it here and let us (or at least me) know.

Thanks,

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Mon, Mar 1 2010 7:45 AM

Well, you cannot consider yourself a well-read golfer if you've not spent a cold winter evening with "Golf in the Kingdom" by Michael Murphy.  A cerebral and fun read.

• lvietri
    3,326 Posts
    Tue, Mar 2 2010 10:29 AM

Thanks for the suggestion .. it's on top of my list.

Any other readers out there ???   I'm sure there might be a few more WGT fans who know how to read.   :)

• WojciechMigda
    158 Posts
    Tue, Mar 2 2010 10:37 AM

I know it is not a golf book but "Blindsight" by Peter Watts is just such a damn good piece of science fiction, which also takes you onto an eye-opening trip about us humans - who we are and why we do what we do.

• brandi35
    295 Posts
    Tue, Mar 2 2010 11:28 AM

Lou,

finally a forum thread that has piqued my interest.....I am an avid reader...well that was until WGT....LOL....think I am gonna go back to reading and less WGT.....anyways, not a golf book, but a VERY GOOD book:  The Shack by William Young is a MUST MUST MUST read.  

Just my 2 cents worth

• Provan9
    6 Posts
    Tue, Mar 2 2010 9:54 PM

'The Greatest Game Ever Played' is quite a good read, it's avaliable on dvd, as well. It is also a true story.

Here's the wiki wrap on it. Don't open the link if you don't want to know how the game finished in the book, as they give it away. It's only a small blurb.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Greatest_Game_Ever_Played

Cheers;

Provan9

• bluescouse
    1,185 Posts
    Wed, Mar 3 2010 12:41 AM

Might I point you in the direction of this thread?

Forums » Product Discussions » WGT Beta » Novels with a Golfing Theme?

Happy reading,

Sean

• Provan9
    6 Posts
    Wed, Mar 3 2010 5:17 PM

Hi bluecourse, I tried to find that thread, but to no avail :-(

Anyone who's played Bethpage Black (in real life, not the cyber pc version) might be interested in 'Open' by John Feinstein. I've not read it but from all accounts (my brother) it is a phenominal read about the course, the US Open played there and numerous other tasty morsels. http://blogcritics.org/books/article/open-by-john-feinstein/

Cheers;

Provan9

RSS