Forums

Help › Forums

March Doubles Match Play Tournament

Sat, Apr 4 2009 11:15 PM (50 replies)
  • nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Mon, Feb 16 2009 1:30 PM

March Banner by: Jarid

DISCLAIMER:  This tournament is NOT sponsored by the World Golf Tour.  This is a community sponsored tournament for fun, friends and camaraderie.   Aside from bragging rights, there are no prizes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tournament Status: COMPLETE

Final Brackets as of 2:04AM EDT on 04/05/09.

- Amateur Tier Bracket (mirror)

Congratulations to team Albatross! (Jarid / Hammer4)

March's Amateur Tier Doubles Champions!

- Hack Tier Bracket (mirror)

Congratulations to the wizwoppers! (welshwizard1 / Poppawoppa)

March's Hack Tier Doubles Champions!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Mon, Feb 16 2009 1:31 PM

Best Ball Match Play Tournament Rules & Regs

All best ball matches will be played and scored in accordance with the official USGA Match Play Rules.  If you're not sure, ask questions now! Don't wait until you are on the 2nd hole of your first match!

All matches in this tournament will be 9 holes in length.

Each tier's seeding will based upon the sum of you and your partner's stroke play scoring average.  The teams with the lowest total will be given the #1 seed in each tier.

The higher ranked team (#1, #2 etc) will invite the lower ranked team to the match.  The inviting team should occupy slots 1 and 2.

Match Windows

Each tournament will consist of 3 rounds and each round will be approximately 10 days in length.  This will provide plenty of time for teams to play.

Method of Play

Teams can choose to play matches in one of two ways.  The recommended method for completing matches is to group everyone up as a foursome and play.  This is the easiest and most fun way to play.

However, due to connection issues it may not be feasible for you to play in a foursome.  If this is the case teams will need to split up and play their matches in a 1v1 format.  Player 1 from Team A will play against Player 1 from Team B.  Player 2 from Team A will play against Player 2 from Team B.  Both players from teams will need to complete a 9 hole round.  Teams will need to compare score cards after the completion of both rounds to determine the winning team of the match. This is the more difficult way to do things and can be confusing.  Avoid doing it this way if possible. 

Just so everyone is clear, here is an example of the second method (which is also a good example of Best Ball scoring).

Bob & Bill are partners against Jim and John.  They can't do a foursome for scheduling reasons so, Bob plays with Jim one day and Bill plays with John a few days later.  After Bill & John finish, the teams compare cards:

Bob 3 4 3 5 4 4 4 3 5

Jim 4 5 4 4 3 4 4 2 6
    Bill 3 3 4 4 3 6 5 4 4

John 5 5 4 4 2 4 4 4 4

Bob & Bill (Team B) go 1up on the first hole because their birdie beats Jim & John's (Team J) par.  Team B goes 2up after the 2nd hole (eagle to par).  Team B goes 3up after the 3rd hole (birdie to par).  Hole #4 is halved (tied) with pars.  Team J wins hole 5 with John's birdie and reduces Team B's lead to 2up.  Hole #6 is halved with pars.  Hole #7 is halved with birdies.  At this point, Team B is 2up with 2 to play.  Jim's birdie on #8 keeps the match going as Team J reduces Team B's lead to 1up with 1 to play.  Hole #9 is halved and Team B hangs on for the victory.

Ties

If the match is tied after the designated match length (9 holes), then play must resume on Hole #1 with the team who won the final hole inviting the team who lost.  If the final hole was tied, then the team who teed off first on the final hole will send the invite to resume play.  Play will continue as long as it takes until one team wins a hole and the match ends immediately.

Disconnections

If teams are disconnected during the match then every effort should be made to continue at the point of disconnect.  If possible, return to the approximate positions you were in and resume counting strokes manually once you get there.  You may not improve your lie.  If you disconnected in the bunker, you must return to the bunker.  Only if both teams agree may play be restarted from the tee of the hole you were on when disconnected.  In that case, you'll need to start again and resume the match scoring on the appropriate tee.  In other words, if you agree to resume on #5 then just play the first 4 holes again for fun and pick up the match on the 5th tee.

Playing Matches Early

For the sake of scheduling, you may complete your next match prior to the start of the round.  However, out of respect for other teams, please do not post or discuss your match results until the actual start date for that round.

Disputes

All disputes will be settled by the tournament director (me) and those decisions, including any disqualifications are final. 

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Tue, Feb 17 2009 8:32 AM

No hack entries yet and Amateur is already full.  Hmm. 

Should I add in a second Amateur tourney?

• beamer750
    38 Posts
    Tue, Feb 17 2009 9:12 AM

yes..it could be march madness!!!!!

• dmace2
    44 Posts
    Tue, Feb 17 2009 4:17 PM

NIvlac-

Please don't abandon the Hack tier yet.  I for one am still trying to drum up a partner from among my friends.  I'm not sure how many people regularly check the forums for new postings.  I found it because you're on my Friends list and I noticed you posted it because of the Friends activities listings.

Doug

• coolswing
    1,017 Posts
    Wed, Feb 18 2009 3:42 PM

YES PLEASE ! you shoud expand to allow for say 4 more teams. I will sign up a team definitely.

Thanks

Coolswing

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Thu, Feb 19 2009 8:40 AM

Unfortunately I can't expand these tournaments past 8 because each round needs to have a lot of time to complete the match.  As I've also mentioned, I need a little break this month from organizing so, we're just gonna have the single Amateur Tournament.

The Amateur tournament is full and entries are no longer being accepted.

Only 2 Hack entries in so far.  There needs to be at least FOUR (4) to start the tournament.

8 days remaining to sign up!

• seveking
    983 Posts
    Fri, Feb 20 2009 6:31 AM

Are we allowed to give tips to our partners while we're playing? 

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Fri, Feb 20 2009 9:26 AM

Great question, Seve.  Yes.  As per match play rules,  you are allowed to give advice to your partner at any time.

• beamer750
    38 Posts
    Fri, Feb 20 2009 10:32 AM

Niv...just sctacth the hack tier and do 2 ammy tiers and have the tier winners face off for the championship...Beam

RSS