Forums

Help › Forums

Precision vs Forgiveness in the club

Sun, May 20 2018 11:29 PM (15 replies)
  • PAGES
  • pUGfANmn
    436 Posts
    Thu, Apr 12 2012 9:53 PM

I did try the Rossa and liked the feel of it better than the Method - the Method was just too slow, believe it or not.  Plus, paying THAT much for a few putts over a round didn't make as much sense.  The Rossa felt better, if that makes any sense when talking about virtual golf, even with the faster meter.

Or, I could just suck it up and stick with the Spider, since I know what it does and don't do a horrid job putting.

• Allen63
    364 Posts
    Fri, Apr 13 2012 5:41 AM

I'd recommend the level 66 Ghost Spider (since you're level 66). MUCH better than the regular level 19 spider and still cheaper than the level 51 Nike.

Better all around

• wolfpck1
    115 Posts
    Tue, Jun 9 2015 12:39 AM

precision is like was stated earlier.... a shot can land anywhere in a given circle when dinged the more precision the smaller the circle. 

the down side with more precision is the more precise the shot capability the greater the penalty for missing the ding ... shorter distances and more spray to left or right... this is where forgiveness comes into play the more forgiveness the lesser these penalties for more precision come into play... at least this is what i have found to be the case. 

balance tends to help keep longer putts tracking truer to the cup allowing less variance on the roll.... this is why on some long putts one time you make it and the next you dont... balance tends to cut down this variance in the roll due to distance.

also many players control direction vs wind by hitting the shot early or late in regards to the ding...this works at lower levels but not to well as you progress upwards as the game becomes more ding sensitive as you progress... so change now  if you are one of these players. 

• helix00
    1 Posts
    Tue, Nov 7 2017 8:54 AM
    The putter forgiveness is a joke..I do way better without it.. However choosing a club that has 4 precision, 3.5 or 4 balance and 5 meter speed as well as above 2.5 balance is really really helpful.. But the apparel the suggests your going to have better putting is a sham.. What does help us iron spin... Even with s basic ball of 1 on spin, if you're iron spin is 33 or higher you can drop those balls and they'll stop on a dime... Meter speed is the most important, it helps so that you have more time to be precise.. putting precision is how straight it goes after you hit the ball, the balance is how much to the right or left you have to hit the ball on a hill... Meaning if it's a big hill you can still hit half way to the right or left and get it in the hole or really close.. The basic plays into this aspect... The forgiveness is a bogus claim.. It does nothing at all.. Try it yourself on a practice put option, on a straight course, switch to the basic putter and the very best you have and you'll see it does nothing... It's really all about the ball.. Unfairly you have to spend money on a ball... The one I like is $275 Callaway soft chrome... It has 3 in spin and 3 meter... Those balls are pretty good... And of course you can spend more money but you don't really need to...
  • Ziiima
    1 Posts
    Tue, May 15 2018 2:16 PM

wolfpck1:

Also many players control direction vs wind by hitting the shot early or late in regards to the ding...this works at lower levels but not to well as you progress upwards as the game becomes more ding sensitive as you progress... so change now  if you are one of these players. 

Advice worth of gold!!

• Faz2000
    93 Posts
    Sun, May 20 2018 11:29 PM

I think of it along the lines of:

Forgiveness = how sensitive the shot will be off-line/off-distance depending on whether or not you hit the ding, or how far you miss it by

Precision = how tight the grouping will be given the same inputs (aim, swing, etc) for the club

So a good swing (DING!) all but negates the need for forgiveness, and puts the ball within your precision factor of the target. More precision gives tighter grouping, less precision gives broader grouping for same swing.

A bad swing with an unforgiving club will often put it very wide/short, regardless of precision (though perhaps CONSISTENTLY wide/short if club is high precision).

A bad swing with a high-forgiveness, low-precision club will go vaguely where you wanted it to, but unpredictably so. It's dumb luck if your imprecision happens to cancel out your mishit, but it does happen - eg. You hook the ball, but the club is so imprecise it happens to come off straight.

Conclusion - both are handy. If you aren't very good, you want to emphasise forgiveness. By the time you are good, you want high precision so the ball goes where you want it to.

• PAGES
RSS