Forums

Help › Forums

Precision vs Forgiveness in the club

Sun, May 20 2018 11:29 PM (15 replies)
  • PAGES
  • LanceToastchee
    6 Posts
    Sun, Mar 11 2012 6:15 AM

I would like to hear how precision and forgiveness correlate to game play.  

(width of light blue zone?, log scale of lt blue zone?)

• MainzMan
    9,586 Posts
    Mon, Mar 12 2012 4:26 AM

I think it was Icon who wrote a very good description here a while ago.  It went something like:

Imagine precision as a circle surrounding the point you aim at.  The ball can land anywhere within that circle on a dinged shot.  High precision clubs have a small circle, low precision ones a larger circle.  Where you land in this circle is pretty much randon, even when you hit the ding.

Forgiveness can also be seen as a circle surrounding your point of aim.  This circle is where the ball might land when you miss the ding, high forgiveness = small circle, low forgiveness = large circle.  Where you land in this circle is determined by which side you miss the ding.  Miss left = goes left, miss right = goes right.

This is why when you miss the ding the shot might still go where you aimed it.  Say the ball is going to the left side of the circle of precision and the right side of the circle of forgiveness when you miss the ding right.  The result is it goes straight.

In rare circumstances a shot where you miss the ding slightly right might still go left.  If your circle of precision is large (low precision clubs) and your circle of forgiveness is small (high forgiveness clubs) you can get more variation from your precision than forgiveness if you only just miss the ding.  The ball is going slightly right because of missing the ding to the right but the lack of precision is sending it further left resulting in a rather unexpected shot.

Wow, this sounds like utter mumbo jumbo!  Icon somehow made it way clearer.  Hope it still makes sense. 

And I'm not drunk.  Honest.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Mar 12 2012 4:53 AM

MainzMan:
    Wow, this sounds like utter mumbo jumbo!

I think you did a pretty good job there, MM.   :-)

• stevenharkin
    1,921 Posts
    Mon, Mar 12 2012 6:06 AM

^^ x2...this info all new to me...interesting ! :)

still doesnt explain the time i went 22 feet wide of target with a dinged shot ( in virtually no wind )...but we'l not go there :)

cheers

• Minkywinkster
    1,777 Posts
    Mon, Mar 12 2012 6:27 AM

stevenharkin:

^^ x2...this info all new to me...interesting ! :)

still doesnt explain the time i went 22 feet wide of target with a dinged shot ( in virtually no wind )...but we'l not go there :)

cheers

Same here, I've missed greens by 50 feet with hit dings....

• Woodoworkery
    3,498 Posts
    Mon, Mar 12 2012 10:19 AM

So no matter what, It's where she lays she stays..........LOL

• bblackh1
    159 Posts
    Mon, Mar 12 2012 10:16 PM

My understanding of three stats are as follows:

Precision: When DING is hit, the club goes straight more often.  Less spray.

Forgiveness: When DING is not hit, this stat controls mishits and ball sprays.

The higher the forgiveness the better the result when you miss DING.

Balance:  Allows putter stroke to go straight more often.  (sidenote: also reduces frustration)

bblackh1

• SHRUDE
    5,835 Posts
    Mon, Mar 12 2012 10:55 PM

.. i need a bourbon

• pUGfANmn
    436 Posts
    Thu, Apr 12 2012 10:43 AM

Would it be reasonable to say that:

Precision - effects distance traveled based on aim - more precision means the club travels the rated/aimed distance more accurately.

Forgiveness - effects how far off the aiming point the ball will be when missing the ding - more forgiveness means less variation left/right of the aiming point.

I want to get a handle on this before deciding on a new putter - I tend to be a ding-misser and not on purpose, so I'm trying to figure out which will give me a bit better chance of making a few more putts.

MainzMan:

And I'm not drunk.  Honest.

With your photo, I find that hard to believe - Then again, this is more of an ecumenical matter...

• DarkenRahl
    2,115 Posts
    Thu, Apr 12 2012 12:12 PM

pUGfANmn:

I tend to be a ding-misser and not on purpose, so I'm trying to figure out which will give me a bit better chance of making a few more putts.

The Daytona / Rossa is a good one for those slight misses and probably the best value for a putter anyway.  Give it a go, I've tried most of the putters in the pro shop available to me and I've pretty much decided that that the extra credits for some of the others aren't worth it to me.

The other option would be to go for the absolute slowest meter you have available and the highest precision and just really work on hitting the ding.  

• PAGES
RSS