Forums

Help › Forums

Putting green chart

Sun, Jun 18 2023 2:18 PM (19 replies)
  • PAGES
  • jiggsie
    478 Posts
    Sun, Feb 26 2012 7:40 AM

I can remember reading a chart, or a post in the forum that showed the different green speeds and what you should do to calculate the actual distance.

ie: Standard green: take the yardage shown +/- elevation, divided by 1.?

this formula was shown for all greens. Can someone please direct me to the post

Thank you

jiggsie

• SHRUDE
    5,835 Posts
    Mon, Feb 27 2012 1:52 AM

Bilkos putter pal will help

http://www.wgt.com/forums/t/81305.aspx?PageIndex=1

as will this chart  (right click & save image as)

Essentially the chart simply teaches you to divide the hole distance according the the green speed.

Standard Green  divide by - 1.0
    Fast  divide by 1.1
    Very Fast divide by 1.2
    Tournament divide by 1.3 

What the chart doesnt show , is that if you have a LEGEND in your game, the Tournament green is faster AGAIN

Legend Tournament green- Divide by 1.35 

• TheSpaghettiKid
    424 Posts
    Sat, May 26 2012 9:39 PM

Is there a chart for the starter putter anywhere?

Is this it?

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Sat, May 26 2012 10:46 PM

TheSpaghettiKid:

Is there a chart for the starter putter anywhere?

Is this it?

Yes it is. Use the appropriate scales.

Nice playing helps they are, together with a paper putter pal beneath the screen.

Edit:

Remember the saying "Never up, never in!" and putt past the hole.

Elevation and side slope have to be taken into account differently.

Slow greens - less effect, fast greens - more effect.

On very fast greens for example, add/substract about 1 foot of length per inch of elevation before entering the tables.

• Lmorgan007
    408 Posts
    Sun, May 27 2012 2:17 AM

Good guide but unless it's my imagination I'd say that green speeds very from  course to course.

St A green faster than RSG.

Oakmont Faster than CCC/Bethpage which in turn faster than Kiawh

Cabo faster than Whistler.

My intuition is that Oakmont's green are fastest of the lot but hard to say as there isn't a single flat putt on the course.

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Sun, May 27 2012 2:35 AM

Lmorgan007:

Good guide but unless it's my imagination I'd say that green speeds very from  course to course. <snip>

This has been confirmed by icon.

• TheSpaghettiKid
    424 Posts
    Sun, May 27 2012 10:01 AM

alosso:

Lmorgan007:

Good guide but unless it's my imagination I'd say that green speeds very from  course to course. <snip>

This has been confirmed by icon.

Yes this is only a guide.  However, from my experience so far, I would not expect a flat, 10 foot putt to go 7 on BPB, 16 on Oakmont and 13 on Kiawah.

The difference shows up more so when elevation change is involved on tournament speed greens... especially downhill on Oakmont and certain mysterious, shorter uphill putts on Olympic.

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Sun, May 27 2012 10:14 AM

Olympic may be a different story. Someone has posted the opinion (and a list) of Qualifier green speeds differing in combination with the (up)slope: slower green speed uphill, faster green speed downhill, on the same green. To some extent I feel the same.

Generally, the indication on short putts may be misleading, showing "down" (0") when it's uphill. BPB #13 is a prominent example, as discussed in "BPB mystery triangle part 3".

• BubbaCrusher007
    1,567 Posts
    Thu, May 31 2012 10:45 PM

I'm about to lose my mind with this putting, particularly within 10 feet & mostly near holes with moderate to hard breaks.

I am not kiddin,,i lose about7, 8, or 9 strokes from putts missed within 12 ft..lol, and I'm about to really just say to hell with it, it's absolutely no FUN, at all to miss all these stupid $%%*'ed gimme's.

Yeah I have all the putters,,yeah I've putted lots of rounds with them. Yeah I've tried hammering it,,,missing the ding on purpose to a fade or hook to nail the break line.

The best I can manage is low 60's rarley & it's because of this *&*%^ damned putting! SHORT ONES!

I guess I ranted long enough,,yeah I use the low level Spider, for the guys with Terretts like me lol whatever.

I don't know what to hell anyone is supposed to suggest lol,,I gotta skin this cat on my own I suppose lol.

I putt these greens from memory & I know the break line &speed,,,I'm not that big of a dummy(debatable)

Anyhow that's the nut meats on my putting woes. lol

• Danowadd
    72 Posts
    Tue, Jul 17 2012 5:28 AM

I've used a formula I picked up here somewhere that's pretty darn good--and I use my computers calculator on every putt over 10 feet, keeping it minimized in my taskbar.

The putts will seem to hold the line better...you'll become an "aggressive putter"  with fewer lip outs.

I've been a Legend since Sept-2010 but my one putts from 17 feet and under is now at 42% and slowly climbing. After doing the math on the hole this is what works for me.

Slow speeds =  multiply by 1.2 

Fast speeds = 0 , putt whatever it reads 

Very fast = divide by  1.2

Tournament speed = divide by 1.3

Championship speed = divide by 1.4  

Usng these -- I have yet to choke a putt, as most that misses are a foot or less past the hole..  Hope this helps !

• PAGES
RSS