Help › Forums

going to Arizona....

rated by 0 users
Tue, Apr 2 2013 10:52 AM (19 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Tigron62
    59 Posts
    Wed, Feb 22 2012 6:18 AM

Ill b travelling in the Sottsdale/Sedona AZ area next May.... planning to play 4-5 round of golf plus a visit to the grand canyon !~...

Folks...

Any tricks.., any deals or things to watch

the do's , the dont's .... 

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Wed, Feb 22 2012 9:19 AM

If you hit your ball into the Grand Canyon, consider it a lost ball... don't go looking for it.

• DannyPhan
    1,013 Posts
    Wed, Feb 22 2012 9:29 AM

Doublemochaman:

If you hit your ball into the Grand Canyon, consider it a lost ball... don't go looking for it.

But you could hit a record 1250yrd drive 

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Wed, Feb 22 2012 9:44 AM

Yes, true story.  Didn't Evel Knievel once jump his motorcycle across the Grand Canyon?

• DannyPhan
    1,013 Posts
    Wed, Feb 22 2012 10:18 AM

Doublemochaman:

Yes, true story.  Didn't Evel Knievel once jump his motorcycle across the Grand Canyon?

Close in 1974, he had a failed jump across Snake River Canyon in the Skycycle X-2, a steam-powered rocket.

it was his son Robbie Knievel that jumps The Grand Canyon.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Feb 22 2012 10:30 AM

Tigron62:
    Any tricks.., any deals or things to watch 

the do's , the dont's .... 

There's an Italian restaurant at McKellips and Scottsdale that has the best authentic Italian pizza I ever ate. Then wander up to the open air marketplace where there are wall to wall shops selling everything from touristy junk to fine sterling silver and turquoise jewelry. A good look at the native culture.

I hope you like the color brown because unless you're on the golf course, everything there is a shade of brown. Bring shorts, it gets hot! 

If you hit your ball into the desert, leave it there. There's a scorpion out there looking for you. Have a great time and keep your eyes open for Andyson.  ;-)

• TeeWade
    1,216 Posts
    Wed, Feb 22 2012 10:49 AM

Although it was a nice little jump, it was nothing compared to what his dad and my child-hood hero attempted  :)

• Tigron62
    59 Posts
    Wed, Feb 22 2012 12:15 PM

Thanks much YankeeJim  !... ill chekc it out..

• MioKontic
    4,587 Posts
    Wed, Feb 22 2012 2:11 PM

I went there a couple of times in the late 90's to play in Pro-Am's.  There are a lot of expensive courses, but one place to definitely play is Troon North.  As for eating, there was a restaurant called Eli's (East Shea Boulevard, Scottsdale) which was just brilliant.  Eli's sliders were simply fantastic.  Check out Eli's bar on the internet.

Also played McCormick Ranch, Grayhawk (2 courses), Scottsdale TPC, Moon Valley (Karsten Solheim's course) and maybe a couple more of which I can't remember the names now, except for Boulders.  Boulders' water is actually dyed blue, and the green fee... make sure you're sitting down for this... $300 for the round!  And that was in 1998.  I hate to think what it might be now.  Was it worth it?  Nah, but we just wanted to see what it was all about.

One thing I remember about Grayhawk, one of the original courses of Anderson Consulting World Matchplay Championship, is how strong the grass was in the rough; very strong, thick blades of grass that the club just struggled to go through.

Wherever you play I know you will enjoy it; in my mind Arizona has some of the best courses I've ever played.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Feb 22 2012 2:34 PM

Don't forget Camelback, named so because of the rock formation next to it that looks remarkably like a huge camel laying down, visible from a distance. 

The slider comment made me remember the best hamburger place I've seen yet-Elmer Fudruckers. They make the hamburger experience quite memorable.

• PAGES
RSS