Forums

Help › Forums

Ken Green on Real Sports

rated by 0 users
Wed, Jan 27 2010 2:09 PM (4 replies)
  • TarheelsRule
    5,468 Posts
    Sat, Jan 23 2010 10:21 AM

Did anyone get to see the story about the golfer Ken Green on Real Sports this week.  If you remember Ken he was a PGA Tour player back in the 80's.  Won a few tourneys, was on the Ryder Cup, a good solid player.  Also sort of an ass with lots of opinions which is rare in a tour golfer.

Anyway Ken has battled clinical depression for years and was in horrible shape, turned 50 and was playing on the Champions Tour last year, seemed to be putting his demons behind him.  Anyway in a horrible crash in his RV on I20 heading to a tourney, lost his brother, fiance and dog.  Horrible car cost Ken his leg as well.  He is trying to get to be able to play again.  If you get a chance watch this show it is amazing.

• jbenny11
    863 Posts
    Sat, Jan 23 2010 11:05 AM

thanks for bringing up the ken green story heels, ken was a breath of fresh air back in the day. my grandparents were members at the inverness club here in toledo, ohio. ken stayed at their house during the 86 pga champ. he was a gruff self centered ego maniac at first, then once he let his guard down someone else emergered. he is a   very thoughtful caring man who when given the chance to be the person he really is. i was fortunate enough to have a couple pops with with ken during that week. he was just about the only guy back then who would say anything negative about tour matters on record. (just don't ask him about greg norman lol) very sad tragic story about the wreck. i hope he can make it throgh these very difficult times. thx JB

• NormH3
    214 Posts
    Sat, Jan 23 2010 4:04 PM
    His story has run on Golf Channel from time to time. Apparently his ex-wife wasn't a nice person (to him anyway) either. She drove a wedge between him and his family.
  • TarheelsRule
    5,468 Posts
    Mon, Jan 25 2010 12:22 PM
    It seems his 'demons' started about the time his ex wife took him to the cleaners. He is currently involved in a suit against Goodyear related to the wreck, tire blowout was the cause, it appears the tires might have been defective. Hope he prevails at least enough to get himself out of the hole he is in. Champions Toug guys have done a lot of fund raising but it will only last so long.
  • AlaCowboy
    1,321 Posts
    Wed, Jan 27 2010 2:09 PM

TarheelsRule:

Did anyone get to see the story about the golfer Ken Green on Real Sports this week.  If you remember Ken he was a PGA Tour player back in the 80's.  Won a few tourneys, was on the Ryder Cup, a good solid player.  Also sort of an ass with lots of opinions which is rare in a tour golfer.

Anyway Ken has battled clinical depression for years and was in horrible shape, turned 50 and was playing on the Champions Tour last year, seemed to be putting his demons behind him.  Anyway in a horrible crash in his RV on I20 heading to a tourney, lost his brother, fiance and dog.  Horrible car cost Ken his leg as well.  He is trying to get to be able to play again.  If you get a chance watch this show it is amazing.

Yet more tragedy for Ken. His son Hunter was found dead in his room at SMU last Friday. As of yesterday the cause is unknown, but foul play is not suspected.

RSS