Forums

Help › Forums

Password Length

Fri, Jun 28 2019 11:20 AM (14 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Infinito3010
    3,689 Posts
    Fri, Jan 15 2010 4:07 AM

Every so often I change my password.  I notice that the password length is limited to 10 characters.  Is it possible to increase the password length.

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Fri, Jan 15 2010 10:35 AM

You know... that's a great question..  Just the other day I wanted to change mine to:

"WouldSomeonePleaseKillTheBEAST!!!"

... but wasn't allowed to because of the length.  /sigh.  =^D

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Fri, Jan 15 2010 10:44 AM

Reminds me of a recent sensational news story in my country... Slovakia's largest entertainment portal, azet.sk, that strives to compete with Facebook here and welcomes about half a million visitors per day, was hacked by the well-known Slovak hacker Igigi, who managed to get hold of dozens of thousands of user passwords, including that of the management, and he published the managers' passwords in his blog... The CEO's password was, in fact, imaprick.    

Azet.sk has been likewise criticized now for the insufficient length of the user passwords it allows, as well as for not demanding from its users to select difficult enough passwords.

• Cleworthy
    3,464 Posts
    Fri, Jul 15 2011 1:53 PM

Infinito3010:

Every so often I change my password.  I notice that the password length is limited to 10 characters.  Is it possible to increase the password length.

This was over a year ago and I see the password is still limited to 10 characters and you also cannot use special characters.  This seems a far cry to what I would expect from anyone who has my credit card information.  Will this be addressed?  Thanks, C

• MarkPaulsen
    3 Posts
    Sun, Jan 6 2019 11:33 AM

Please WGT, increase the maximum password length!  (from 10 to say, 32 or 64)
    Allowing special characters is a good idea too.

7.5 years after these posts above, this has not been addressed.
    Longer passwords are more secure.

Thanks!

• treebeard
    227 Posts
    Sun, Jan 6 2019 11:44 AM

MarkPaulsen:

Please WGT, increase the maximum password length!  (from 10 to say, 32 or 64)
    Allowing special characters is a good idea too.

7.5 years after these posts above, this has not been addressed.
    Longer passwords are more secure.

Thanks!

I totally agree. In this day and age the format for passwords on this site is deplorable. (And unsafe ! )

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Sun, Jan 6 2019 2:35 PM

Why should 10 letters+digits not be enough?

Anybody feeling unsafe about their credit card data should not store them in the first place!

In general, the increasing hype about "safety" is likely to create new safety gaps - where should I put all the different PWs that I'm supposed to provide?

(don't say, on paper or in a "safe" app...)

• Cleworthy
    3,464 Posts
    Sun, Jan 6 2019 3:07 PM

I would be fine with 10 if they allowed for special characters but actually I am kind of shocked in this day and age with WGT's password system. It has to be the weakest of any website I use.

• ScottHope
    10,014 Posts
    Sun, Jan 6 2019 3:16 PM

Where are you getting this information from, my password is much longer than 10 characters.

Is the end of it being cut off and discarded every time I log in and I have not realised for nearly 7 years? Oops!

Just tested it using only the first 10 characters and bam! Logged in, wow! Lost another marble an I didn't even notice. : (

• Robert1893
    7,652 Posts
    Sun, Jan 6 2019 3:57 PM

Wow!

Well, that's disappointing. All this time, I thought I had an extremely strong password (15 characters with special characters). 

So, I also tried it with just the first 10 characters. It logged me on. 

• PAGES
RSS