Forums

Help › Forums

WGT & RYDER CUP GOLF

rated by 0 users
Sat, Mar 28 2009 3:46 AM (29 replies)
  • seveking
    983 Posts
    Wed, Mar 18 2009 10:46 AM

How about instead of alternate shot, where one player plays one shot and the partner plays the next shot, we have "alternate hole", where one player plays one hole and the partner plays the next.  I mean, obviously they all play because it's a four people playing but the score that counts is the score of the partner that is playing that hole.

(Sorry for springing this up again now, I know we've got plenty of stuff going on in April, but maybe I'll have a go at trying to organise this in May if there's enough interest and there's a good idea as an alternative to alternate shot).

• Jeremiah2L
    28 Posts
    Wed, Mar 18 2009 11:11 AM

I agree...alternate hole sounds like the only acceptable substitution.

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Wed, Mar 18 2009 2:30 PM

That's a good idea Seve.  I'm interested in playing in this.  There's a much larger # of good international players now.  Should be a good competition.

• seveking
    983 Posts
    Thu, Mar 19 2009 3:06 AM

OK, well, I won't do anything just yet because we've already got the April Match Play Tournament and the mini tour organised by Slor in April, but I'll start organising this in two or three weeks time so we can start the first week of May.

In the meantime, if there's any more difficulties or questions that rise to your mind, just ask them!

I will be out until Sunday so no more posts from me until then.

• TallAcePaul
    1,455 Posts
    Fri, Mar 20 2009 3:18 AM

Hi SeveKing,

I would be well up for this. Overup of Italy is one of the leading players and we must be able to get 12 people under 66. Once people are under this and can hit a 30-31 you can beat anybody on the the day. Its all down to pressure.

There must be a list somewhere of the top 50 players on scores, id start there for a tean and then start looking at tournament scores.

Good luck with arranging and if you want help give me a shout.

TallAcePaul

• seveking
    983 Posts
    Sun, Mar 22 2009 7:34 AM

I'd like to get the general opinion about this matter before we start anything:

Would you like this tournament to be "invitation only", in the sense that we choose two Captains and they are the ones who choose the players that are going to play, or would you want a half-and-half thing where I open up the signups, the first six to sign up are automatically qualified to play and then the Captain chooses the other six?

By the way, Paul, if it's the Rest of the World against USA, the best player for The Rest of the World is supposed to be AvatarLee at the moment: he's changed his flag to a Canadian one:)

• TrickMilton
    27 Posts
    Sun, Mar 22 2009 2:28 PM

Maybe have a general signup for those who would be interested in playing and use some sort of averaging from actual tournament scores. For example, set a date to post tournament scores, maybe April 30th.

All that sign up must play at least 6 of the 8 free stroke play tournaments leading up to that date. There will probably be 8 that month (three month long and 5 weekly tourneys)

The player will have to calculate their own average of their best 6 tourneys and submit by 12 AM April 30th. The top averages are verified for accuracy and on the team. If any average is found to be incorrect, that participant is disqualified. The top average may be considered team captain.

If this method is used, I would be happy to verify all top participants' averages. If I happen to be one of them (not likely) someone else can verify mine. 

• DeerRun
    230 Posts
    Sun, Mar 22 2009 10:49 PM

That is a terrific idea. It would be fun.

• seveking
    983 Posts
    Mon, Mar 23 2009 8:50 AM

Yes, that's a good idea for the Americans to qualify, but most people from other nationalities can't play those tourneys and the only one they can play is the monthly International Open.

I think perhaps it would be better to use a method that is available for both teams instead of having different methods of qualifying, because otherwise there could be complaints that one method favours one team or the other.

As for the Captain, I think he or she should be someone that volunteers to do it, not the one with the best score, because the Captain will be required to make the pairs for the Alternate hole and the Fourball (though he can take advice from players who want to play together) and I don't want to give anybody that doesn't want it any extra work.

But keep those ideas coming, I love it!

• TrickMilton
    27 Posts
    Mon, Mar 23 2009 11:32 AM

My apologies to all those in countries that are not yet able to compete in all tourneys, it's way too easy for me to take that for granted. I agree the captains should be voluntary spots as opposed to my original post. Maybe the captains could be chosen first, then the US side can decide on their method of choosing the team, whether it's my original idea or not, and the World side can choose theirs with a different method. Possibly a series of group games with posted, verifiable, scores in which the best 6 of 8 scores are averaged. Obviously this method would be more difficult with more interested people and is not likely to be the best option but it's something to start with. 

RSS