Forums

Help › Forums

How to properly use chip and pitch clubs: A guide V2.0

Thu, Aug 3 2023 5:05 PM (335 replies)
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Jan 20 2011 4:12 PM

zagraniczniak:

So, Jim, a chip shot might stop dead ifn't hit with enough oomph? Had that hammered in by the iconic one et al. when it comes to the rough (min. 70% etc.) - but even from the fringe? Say it ain't so?

Gospel bud.  :-)

• CharlemagneRH
    1,054 Posts
    Thu, Jan 20 2011 8:45 PM

Title of this thread should be How to properly use pitch and flop shots: A guide V2.0, imo!

Why would anyone in their right mind chip!?!

• BolloxInBruges
    1,389 Posts
    Thu, Jan 20 2011 8:50 PM

CharlemagneRH:

Why would anyone in their right mind chip!?!

I chip just as often as pitch.   (Chipped in on 17 during my 56 on bethpage today /brag)

Who in their right mind would not chip!?!

• jakestanfill7
    949 Posts
    Thu, Jan 20 2011 8:56 PM

BolloxInBruges:
    Who in their right mind would not chip!?!

Couldn't agree more.  Well over 600 holed shots here and easily 250 of them have been chips.  Probably 175 pitches, 100 putts (yes putts from fringe, it actually comes out most of the time), 75 holed from fairway, and about 40 or so flops.

Bottom line is learn each and every shot around the green.  There is a time and place for everything so the saying goes.

• Flyinturtle
    262 Posts
    Thu, Jan 20 2011 8:59 PM

the chip and flop's are one of the biggest part of my game. i use both alot and make quite a few

• CharlemagneRH
    1,054 Posts
    Thu, Jan 20 2011 10:00 PM

jakestanfill7:
    Couldn't agree more.  Well over 600 holed shots here and easily 250 of them have been chips.  Probably 175 pitches

That might be true, but you have to keep in mind that it's a lot easier to hole-out a shot that is a "typical chip candidate" than a shot that is a "typical pitch candidate."  A typical chip candidate is 6-14-yards in length, whereas a typical pitch candidate is 12-24-yards in length.  Having a higher chance to sink 6-14 -yard chips than 12-24 -yard pitches does not necessarily mean that the chip shot is superior or even as good as the pitch shot.

Despite all of my complaints about chipping, nobody has ever put forth any valid benefits of using chip over pitch for a shot needing 8+ yards of power.

Ignoring the ultra-short, under-eight-yards shots, what does the chip shot have to compensate for its short-flight, long-roll behavior?  If it has any valid benefits whatsoever, I am all ears.

• mnshiner
    1,382 Posts
    Fri, Jan 21 2011 3:29 AM
  • zagraniczniak
    1,984 Posts
    Fri, Jan 21 2011 3:57 AM

mnshiner:

The word "anecdotal" does come to mind....

• zagraniczniak
    1,984 Posts
    Wed, Jan 26 2011 6:02 AM

To follow up on the overall Iconian thing, does anyone know of a good guide to all the different types of sand shots?

The Iconian tips are great for the usual greenside 15/20 sand traps at Bethpage, but what about the heavy sand at Oakmont and St. A's, or the hard sand at Kiawah?

What about hitting out of fairway bunkers in general? Sometimes you can take great approach shots out of fairway bunkers, "picking" the ball, let us say, but at other times it seems the game shuts those down on you.

Have these angles been covered in the forums?

• TracyMax
    2,361 Posts
    Wed, Jan 26 2011 8:20 AM

zagraniczniak:

To follow up on the overall Iconian thing, does anyone know of a good guide to all the different types of sand shots?

haven't had much success with sand shots, close to the green or on the fairway. Most of the fairway attemps go about half the distance of what ever club I try to use. Not much success with the longer irons here especially.

RSS