Forums

Help › Forums

How to properly use chip and pitch clubs: A guide V2.0

Thu, Aug 3 2023 5:05 PM (335 replies)
  • AlexBorgesjr
    1,296 Posts
    Sat, Aug 8 2015 9:12 AM

Loved the read but you don't have to aim to left or anywhere when you flop, the line before the ding line always stays aiming right at the pin, just hit that line, not the ding line. and as for yardage if its flat, the yardage is true. like she says be careful on slopes , 

• JODYSWALLOWS
    448 Posts
    Sat, Sep 5 2015 7:45 PM

very  very  good  but a lt to remember.  Try  this!  Use the flop  option choose the wedge that matches youre  yardage. look above youre meter and see the % to add. if there is no  percentage hit the distance it says, on flop full back spinn hit the mark before the ding  iy should be perfect

Jody.

• MrFunnyWobbl
    894 Posts
    Fri, Oct 2 2015 6:28 AM

I find chipping and pitching really inconsistent. Especially Pitching, so hard to get a good feel. Sometimes from 22 yards away it will go 28 with 18 yards power, other times from 22 yards it will go 16 yards with 22 yards power. Same like, similar green. 

Can't put a finger on it. 

chipping is hard because the green affects it so much. 

• RickRR
    119 Posts
    Fri, Oct 2 2015 10:45 AM

MrFunnyWobbl:

I find chipping and pitching really inconsistent. Especially Pitching, so hard to get a good feel. Sometimes from 22 yards away it will go 28 with 18 yards power, other times from 22 yards it will go 16 yards with 22 yards power. Same like, similar green. 

Can't put a finger on it. 

I am not good a chipping either, but I am reading and trying to follow a blog I found. I a lot of the info is spot on. You may want to look it up and read. Go to MistressCosette page and read her blog. If you have any question send her a message and she will gladly respond.

• WaLk0fLiFe
    285 Posts
    Mon, May 9 2016 11:01 PM

Something I was asked about a few days ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrn-PqtV6G0&feature=youtu.be

• turfsand
    1,773 Posts
    Tue, May 10 2016 2:51 AM

thanks Joe, this is a real eye opener. will now go and map pitches to 3yds

turfsand

• MainzMan
    9,586 Posts
    Tue, May 10 2016 11:11 AM

MrFunnyWobbl:

Sometimes from 22 yards away it will go 28 with 18 yards power, other times from 22 yards it will go 16 yards with 22 yards power. Same like, similar green. 

This is very strange, given the quality of the wedges you have.  I only pitch with my 64° wedge and find it very consistent.   Are you using the same ball and amount of spin every time?  Spin makes a big difference when pitching, once you get a feel for it you can use it to good effect but I'd start out always using the same until you get your distances spot on.

Elevation also makes a big difference.  If the hole is well above you you'll usually get more roll out, the opposite is true if the hole is below you.  Watch for whether the green is sloping towards or away from you though.  A green that is sloping away will mean the ball rolls out more, it'll stop very quickly if you're playing into an uphill slope.

Try to persist with it, the pitch is a very useful shot.

MrFunnyWobbl:

chipping is hard because the green affects it so much. 

I almost never chip for exactly this reason.  With a pitch you only need look at the slope close to the hole, with a chip you need to think of it almost like a putt.  There are fewer variables with a pitch, this makes it easier.  In my opinion anyway.

• MainzMan
    9,586 Posts
    Tue, May 10 2016 11:18 AM

WaLk0fLiFe:

Something I was asked about a few days ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrn-PqtV6G0&feature=youtu.be

What a great video.  Thanks for taking the time to do this for everyone.

I was already convinced about the value of the pitch compared to the chip but hopefully you've sold the idea to a few more players.

• kvector
    5 Posts
    Tue, Aug 23 2016 12:01 PM

I found this post to be very helpful after reading it thoroughly and then playing only two rounds. Since writing or typing notes was difficult and very distracting while playing, I made up a small list or scorecard to record the short game situation as follows.

I created the list in MS Excel with fields after the headings listed below. I then  created a page with four of these, printed them out and keep them next to my computer.

It is easy to record everything for later review.

I could not show this below; but, I actually created a circle with crosshairs with the Insert - Shapes in Excel. I created a small compass next to the wind direction entry so I could just make a mark on it to indicate wind direction.

Date:  
    Course:  
    Hole:  
    Distance to hole:  
    Elevation:  
    Fairway-Rough-Bunker: F  R  B 
    Buried %:  
    Wind speed/Direction:  
    Suggested club:  
    Suggested distance:  
    My Swing  
    Club choice:  PW  PW  LW  Other:
    Full, Chip, Pitch, Flop F  C  P  Fl
    Distance shown:  
    Swing %:  
    Results/Notes:
  • kvector
    5 Posts
    Fri, Aug 26 2016 12:44 PM

From reading and re-reading the original post, and from keeping the above stats/notes, i can see improvement. And, I feel more confident about making choices.

I think part of it is because I am looking at ALL the factors now because I am putting them into my notes. It has also helped me on other short iron shots (including teeing off from par 3s) because I am taking everything into consideration. I think the wind and elevation were things I wasn't paying enough attention to before. I am playing Moderate courses where these are bigger factors than the easy courses.

Thanks!

RSS