Help › Forums

How to properly use chip and pitch clubs: A guide V2.0

Thu, Aug 3 2023 5:05 PM (335 replies)
  • qzheng
    55 Posts
    Sun, Feb 10 2013 11:34 PM

chipshotcharlie:

Iconian

HELP ive used your guide its great. But kiawah 4th hole the front bunker the one my 2nd shot always lands in. Ive floped punched fullswing i can at best land it 4ft from the edge of the bunker.whats the secret i spent hrs trying to work it out. My short game is pretty good except for that bunker

thx CSC

Just fully flop it around16-20 yes, backspin with a 60 wedge, thats what I did.

Hope it helps, Qzheng

• RahRoo
    29 Posts
    Thu, Feb 14 2013 6:03 AM

Thanks! What a great read, and really helpful!

• michele56
    40 Posts
    Mon, Apr 8 2013 7:58 AM

Thank you, i try to progress with pitch and chip shoot, i see a lot of progress lately, punch shoot i hesitate to use  often is for very good player and i'm average only.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Apr 8 2013 10:37 AM

michele56:
    punch shoot i hesitate to use  often is for very good player and i'm average only.

It will make you a good player and is very easy to learn.  :-)

• IndaKupp
    2 Posts
    Tue, Apr 23 2013 1:04 PM

Thats impressive! When can we play around?

• club578
    561 Posts
    Tue, Apr 23 2013 1:50 PM

hit it top of the hill left of the bunker and let it roll club578

• club578
    561 Posts

• club578
    561 Posts

• Spazmaggie
    4 Posts
    Thu, Apr 25 2013 9:10 PM

The one shot I have no faith in is chipping just of the green, an example is the flag is 10 yards away with 4 in downhill, I hit it 6 yards fully expecting the 4in to do the rest, it goes 5 yards and stops, it just doesn't make sense. My question is you mentioned always putting backspin on chips does that apply also to pitching, you didn't say. I also have to assume that different balls and clubs have to factor in, I use Max wedges I rarely use the spin because it will pull the ball of the green if your not careful. Where you choose your clubs and the action, if I read it right it suggest if you chip the ball with backspin it should go the distance and then stop dead, I tried this on an 8 yard chip with a 60 degree wedge, it flew by 7 feet, so at this point I'm really not sure what to expect from chipping and pitching, on the brightside my flop shots are what save me, from 15-33 yard I can usually drop it within 3 feet, it's under 15 where I have the trouble, any help much appreciated. Spazmaggie

• zagraniczniak
    1,984 Posts
    Fri, Apr 26 2013 12:00 PM

Jim, do you want to handle this?

It does seem there are chipping naysayers.

The original advice, BTW, was developed by Icon when he was on the "outside." All values were based on full backspin, but the spin was weak in those days.

- Zag

RSS