Forums

Help › Forums

How to properly use chip and pitch clubs: A guide V2.0

Thu, Aug 3 2023 5:05 PM (335 replies)
  • adtjoel
    124 Posts
    Tue, Nov 13 2012 5:05 PM

Thanks for guide I certainly found it helped.

A few times I didn't land on the green since reading this, I did get very close using the tips you outlined. It's so sweet when you see the yards to the hole coming down andt then stop at 0 yards from the hole.

Still a couple of bad ones (but they were very difficult) but in the past I have had some shots that have gone 0 yards which has ruined a round on occasion - hopefully no more of those.

What should you do if you are at the bottom of rather steep bank? is your only option to play a flop? sometimes the chip / pitch options show the tradjectory / arrow going over a steep bank but I find it difficult to believe as both shots are fairly low to the ground - if the tradjectory shows it going over the bank does that mean it probably will or is there still the very real possiblty it will crash into the bank?

• zagraniczniak
    1,984 Posts
    Wed, Nov 14 2012 2:51 AM

adtjoel:
    What should you do if you are at the bottom of rather steep bank? is your only option to play a flop?

It sounds like you can rule out the chip shot in such cases. But the pitch in my experience will clear most such obstacles. However, because it will be coming into the green at a low angle (and probably without much backspin if you have hit out of the rough), it will release and roll out perhaps farther than you want -- assuming you have hit it hard enough to reach the green. The flop can work well there, but again may also roll out more than you want. Another option is to play a soft wedge (full or punch) with lots of backspin.

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Wed, Nov 14 2012 5:27 AM

Coming off rough is always difficult, to know how much more to hit of the different shots which behave very different, and to respect that there will be less spin.

Alas, from short-cut areas around the greens I prefer the pitch, too, adding a few yards (1) if it lands on the upslope and rather reducing the shot slightly (2) if it will land above the slope - thinking of the lower landing angle. Imagine RSG##9 (right) and 18 (left) for the first example, STA 17 and KIA #2 (fronts) for the second.

• LarkinPat1
    83 Posts
    Thu, Nov 15 2012 6:40 PM

this post was made by Axtrat and he put it tgether lol

• LarkinPat1
    83 Posts
    Thu, Nov 15 2012 6:41 PM

this post was made by Axtrat and he put it tgether loli got it from him him when i joined too cool glad its finally getting out there

• mulfreak
    25 Posts
    Fri, Nov 16 2012 4:56 PM

My advice is this.  If you want to avoid those "shot goes no where ones",then?  If you are new to the game and have starter clubs then?  You are going to have to hit the ball alot harder than you think and with much more follow thru.  Punch instead of pitch,  Always bring the dot down on the ball to where the club can get fully under the ball.  How many times have you hit the ding and the ball went no where? I found that most times ;Just to the right about a 1/2" off the ding gave me more success.  Or you can do what I have and get expensive irons and wedges.  Has this helped?  Yes. 

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Fri, Nov 16 2012 6:35 PM

LarkinPat1:

this post was made by Axtrat and he put it tgether loli got it from him him when i joined too cool glad its finally getting out there

Interesting...being that the person you mentioned joined 8 months after Icon wrote the guide.

LMAO!

http://www.wgt.com/members/axstrat/default.aspx

• rooskinner
    2 Posts
    Thu, Nov 22 2012 5:26 PM

thanks for taking the time ,, i hope your coaching will help out my seated golf position ..wish my real game was as easy .

• rooskinner
    2 Posts
    Thu, Nov 22 2012 5:26 PM

thanks for taking the time ,, i hope your coaching will help out my seated golf position ..wish my real game was as easy .

• SubGolf
    28 Posts
    Sat, Dec 8 2012 9:12 AM

These are great points for playing various short shots. I am sure to improve my game by implementing these tips, many thanks for sharing your expertise with the rest of us.

Thanks, SubGolf

RSS