Help › Forums

chipping on the green

rated by 0 users
Thu, Jan 29 2009 12:06 PM (7 replies)
  • GLADSTONESCREWER
    749 Posts
    Mon, Jan 26 2009 10:07 AM

Hi there,

I dont play real golf but am i right in thinking your not allowed to chip on the green under normal circumstances,i see people who have perhaps hit a poor approach leaving the ball quite a way from the cup but still on the green change there putter to another iron and chip it !!!! i suppose if you can do it and it is only a game fair enough, but you wont see anyone getting there putter out on the tee to drive will you ,  i would like to see people putting on the green not chipping because they cannot work out the contours,i even saw someone chip from 10 ft !!!! just my ten pence, gr8 game see you on the fairways.

• bigdelish
    1 Posts
    Tue, Jan 27 2009 7:52 PM

Its perfectly legal whiney boy!! Plus if its cool with the fonz then AAAAYYYYYYY!!!!!!

• TitleistPro
    94 Posts
    Wed, Jan 28 2009 10:53 AM

Exactly Fonzi and bigdelish, this is quite LEGAL in the game of golf.

You don't see it very much in tournament play only because of respect for the greens keeper.  But, I have actually in a college tournament done this myself.  It was a kidney shaped green and there was no way to putt the ball.

Learn the rules of the game and you will find they are there to HELP not be a hindrance. 

play golf America!!

• GLADSTONESCREWER
    749 Posts
    Wed, Jan 28 2009 2:18 PM

Interesting, i stand corrected , thanks for letting me know & good luck out on the fairways  :)

• TitleistPro
    94 Posts
    Wed, Jan 28 2009 3:33 PM

Anytime, I know that it does appear odd when you see it.  But, there are times that it is the only way to have a shot.

The rules change every year, case in point, when Tiger had the gallery move a boulder thus allowing him a shot and a birdie.  

At that time, it was considered a moveable object (loose impediment).  That ruling has now been changed due to that.  If an object leaves an obvious impression in the dirt, sand, etc it is not considered to be a loose impediment.

• thumbwrench
    40 Posts
    Thu, Jan 29 2009 9:22 AM

Copied directly from the USGA rule book:                                                                                                                  23-1/2  Large Stone Removable Only with Much Effort

Q. A player’s ball lies in the rough directly behind a loose stone the size of a watermelon. The stone can be removed only with much effort. Is it a loose impediment which may be removed?

A. Yes. Stones of any size (not solidly embedded) are loose impediments and may be removed, provided removal does not unduly delay play
    (Rule 6-7).                                                                                                                                                    Doesn't seem fair but that is the ruling; in regard to assistance that is also covered:    

23-1/3  Assistance in Removing Large Loose Impediment

Q. May spectators, caddies, fellow-competitors, etc., assist a player in removing a large loose impediment?

A. Yes.                                                                                                                                             So Tiger (or anyone else that can get enough people) can legally cheat and not feel bad about it....the ruling is odd to say the least.   

• jcksnghst
    71 Posts
    Thu, Jan 29 2009 12:06 PM

USGA Rules FAQ

Using Club other than Putter on Putting Green?
    Q. Is it permissible to use a club other than a putter to play a stroke on the putting green?
    A. Yes, the Rules of Golf do not stipulate the type of club that must be used for making a stroke on the putting green or anyplace else on the golf course.

(John Daly did it in a tourny due to the same conditions mentioned above by TPro. It is impractical for a shot to be played as such unless i.e. it is a kidney shaped green. No self-respecting player would play such a shot as that when the obvious weapon of choice is putter. If a player is more comfortable chipping vs. putting they have serious issues with their flat stick prowess. AND if you did this in life, you would probably need to watch your back for retaliation from the grounds crew. :-)

RSS