Forums

Help › Forums

Free Golf Balls(you choose color)

Wed, Dec 23 2009 9:38 PM (34 replies)
  • CaptainCouples
    135 Posts
    Tue, Dec 22 2009 4:37 PM

Thank you rez. Same to you. Have a very merry x-mas and even a better new year!

Thanks again,

CC...

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Tue, Dec 22 2009 4:58 PM

I should continue in this spirit, I suppose. I'm now upping the prize for the encrypted lyrics I posted on page 1 of this thread. The prize will be a sleeve of the new GI2-S balls (colour of your choice), so that you can test them for me/us and report if the additional slow-down of the meter is significant. I'm perfectly happy with the Tour GI-SD balls I use currently, but if there's good feedback to the GI2-S balls, I might give them a try.

Now, as to the encrypted lyrics, a player posted on my Wall saying this might perhaps be Streets of London by Ralph McTell. To this I replied:

Faterson:
    I'm sorry, but that isn't the song.    I'll give you a couple of clues: if the "encrypted" lyrics talk about London, then the original lyrics probably talk about a different city. And if the "encrypted" lyrics sound optimistic, then perhaps the original lyrics won't?  

(This is a song by a famous British performer, with legions of fans here in Central Europe as well. Americans might not now him/her/them, but a British person very likely will.)

Another player sent me a PM saying this might be a Van Morrison song. I think that guess comes closer (in "spirit" if not in musical style), but it's not him. It's a British, rather than an Irish performer. Not main-stream by any means, but very famous as far as non-main-stream performers go.  

If anyone would like to have a sleeve of the new the GI2-S balls, just try & guess the song title using the hints above.

• EllisSpice
    871 Posts
    Wed, Dec 23 2009 5:56 AM

As someone who listens to 'Indie' British bands daily, I still can't work it out. The only thing that came to mind (this is most likely MILES off) is 'Fake Tales of San Francisco' by Arctic Monkeys?

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Wed, Dec 23 2009 6:11 AM

It's not the Arctic Monkeys, but it's the best guess, by far, made in this regard.    As was mentioned, this is a famous performer with legions of fans around the world, including in my region (Central Europe), and although the Arctic Monkeys are certainly well-known, they're a relatively "recent" band (founded this decade) who would not have built such a large following around the world in such a relatively short time.    (PS: There's no city name in the song title, but a huge city does occur in the song's lyrics, as indicated.)

• Spacklero
    386 Posts
    Wed, Dec 23 2009 8:20 AM

This is driving me insane - keep looking at the lyrics and coming up with zip!

I dont have another guess yet but can report that I use GI2S exclusively now and they do exactly what they say on the tin. Shot 30 at KI bk 9 first time i used them. Really helping me tame the Master R9 Driver and make the G10 wedges feel like raptures.

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Wed, Dec 23 2009 8:51 AM

I might give the GI2-S balls a try, then. I already play with the Raptures combined with GI-SD balls, so I can't quite imagine how slow the meter must be when combined with GI2-S balls.

As to the encrypted lyrics game, to be fair, I should mention the hint I gave to a couple of folks via PMs:

Faterson:
    My favourite music station is Radio Paradise, and they play Arctic Monkeys a lot. They also play that "secret" performer a lot, although not that particular song. (But that song is among the best-known from that performer.) The following webpage might help... It lists the most frequent performers on Radio Paradise:

http://www.last.fm/user/RPLastFM

Van Morrison is a frequent guest on Radio Paradise as well, but the Arctic Monkeys are closer in style to the performer in question. The song is from one of the performer's most critically acclaimed albums, and is among the best-known songs on that album.

PS: Another significant clue can be found in the last post on page 1 of this thread.    If you know how to use Google efficiently, it spits out the correct answer at you immediately.

• EllisSpice
    871 Posts
    Wed, Dec 23 2009 10:26 AM

Well I think it's either Radiohead or U2 now, but they're both quite big in the US (I think), so that's rules them out (I think).

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Wed, Dec 23 2009 10:31 AM

Indeed. And U2 are Irish.

Not to say that the performer concerned is unknown in the US, but he/she/they only had a #2 album in the US, while Radiohead has had several #1 albums there.

• EllisSpice
    871 Posts
    Wed, Dec 23 2009 10:41 AM

Well, after a little research, I've found that 'The Who' have had 2 No.2's in the charts in the US. That's my best bet so far...

EDIT: Well, here's my FINAL guess. If it's wrong, I shall stop and let someone else have a go. Is it Baba O'Riley by The Who?

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Wed, Dec 23 2009 11:16 AM

Nope.    If you look at the lyrics of Baba O'Riley, there's hardly any correlation to the encrypted lyrics. Whereas the song in question really begins with those lyrics, although not exactly the same words, of course (some words may be changed/paraphrased/reversed here as a result of "encryption"). As I said, the answer can be found via Google in a second if you use the asterisk (*) as an operator for any word, while searching for set combinations of surrounding words that are likely unchanged from the original.  

(If this proves too difficult, I may have to up the prize to two sleeves of GI2-S balls. I'd like to make GI-SD balls the prize, but these can't be gifted, unfortunately.)

RSS