Forums

Help › Forums

Equipment

Fri, Apr 24 2015 9:26 PM (20 replies)
  • Fromet
    28 Posts
    Sun, Oct 23 2011 1:50 PM

I'm an amateur and have 240 credits.  It appears I'm driving the ball well, but my putting is atrocious.  I can purchase a WGT putter which I assume is an upgrade from the putter given me when I started.  How well will it help?

• SgtDoodles
    3,112 Posts
    Mon, Oct 24 2011 7:15 AM

Lots and lots of putting practice will help you more than a new putter. 

• Fromet
    28 Posts
    Mon, Oct 24 2011 7:43 AM

Thanks SgtDoodles.  As I get more experience points and to higher levels the "name" putters will start being unlocked.  Will these help?

• Yoda79
    697 Posts
    Mon, Oct 24 2011 10:08 AM

Any higher level putter will "help". But if you can't read the break of a putt then you could be holding a tree branch in your hand and it wouldn't matter. As the Sgt. has said, the thing that will help the most is practice. Experience is the key. The more rounds you play the more putts you will take thus the better you should become. It's just going to take time. I'm sure that's not an answer you want or anybody wants, but I will tell you that once you buy a new putter, it will take some time to learn it. And you may find that you are at first missing putts that you know you could of made with your lower leveled putter. But eventually you'll start making putts here and there that you normally wouldn't make before. So in the long run a higher leveled putter will help, but in the end it just comes down to experience. Good luck to ya!!

Master Yoda 

• JaLaBar
    1,254 Posts
    Tue, Oct 25 2011 8:09 AM

Yoda79:
    Any higher level putter will "help". But if you can't read the break of a putt then you could be holding a tree branch in your hand and it wouldn't matter.

Truth.  There are a number of highly ranked Legends that still use starter putters.  I wouldn't upgrade a putter at this point.  Practice, and if you want to spend credits, I'd worry more about making my putts shorter.  Nothing helps putting quite as much as getting closer to the hole to start with.

• HermSnead
    606 Posts
    Tue, Oct 25 2011 5:38 PM

Keep the beginner putter.  It's got the slowest meter - never miss a ding.  You won't sink any long putts, but if your iron play is good you shouldn't have to.

• TotteSwede
    512 Posts
    Tue, Oct 25 2011 6:19 PM

Upgrade in order: Driver - Wedge(s) - Irons - Putter

Some will say wedges first, which is up to playstyle and skills really.

• Fromet
    28 Posts
    Thu, Oct 27 2011 7:33 PM

What about golf balls?  Do they help you score better?

• LeonDelBosque
    1,551 Posts
    Fri, Oct 28 2011 1:02 AM

absolutely. look at the dots to decide what you want. extra distance and and spin are self explanatory; extra "feel" slows down the meter. the difference between starter balls and callaways is like the difference between a titleist and a rock. half the guys with a low-60s average would struggle mightily to shoot par with starter balls. they're expensive, though -- they wear out (that's the "durability" of the balls) try some mid-range WGT balls to start, like the SDs 

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Fri, Oct 28 2011 5:03 AM

LeonDelBosque:

absolutely. look at the dots to decide what you want. extra distance and and spin are self explanatory; extra "feel" slows down the meter. the difference between starter balls and callaways is like the difference between a titleist and a rock. half the guys with a low-60s average would struggle mightily to shoot par with starter balls. they're expensive, though -- they wear out (that's the "durability" of the balls) try some mid-range WGT balls to start, like the SDs 

I used to be a terrible putter when I first started, Then I read and reread and read again..lol.. the 'Putting Tip: Distance Control' Post in the FAQS ---->

If ya still learning the game, the most important thing first is to get the distance of your putts worked out first and the direction will fall in to place after allot of games.

Practice your putting in a Practice stroke game... if you miss your 1st putt, then putt backwards and try again. Keep on doing this until you get it right. You are only allowed 10 shots a hole, so getting to the green is another story. Practice games does not count towards your average.

As said before the beginners putter is not that bad. I have found the best putter for my liking is the 'Rossa' (havn't tried the new Ghosts, so I can't comment on them)

I should add also.. the Golf balls you can buy in the pro shop will help your game too.

My order of equipment would be... Driver.. Irons..Golf Balls.. Wedges.. Putter

When I first started too, I looked at  profiles of a few great players and had a look at what equipment they were using, gives ya good idea at what you can get eventually.

Cheers

Roger

RSS