Forums

Help › Forums

The Art of Sandbagging

rated by 0 users
Sun, Dec 6 2009 2:25 AM (34 replies)
  • tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Sat, Dec 5 2009 2:00 PM

Here's some sandbagging at its finest.  These are the latest scores from a well known Master tier player.  I see this kind of stuff going on all the time with many different players.

12.05.09 KIAWAH ISLAND: THE OCEAN COURSE Front 9 Master 49
    12.05.09 KIAWAH ISLAND: THE OCEAN COURSE Front 9 Master 82
    12.04.09 BETHPAGE BLACK Back 9 Master 32
    12.04.09 Wk 49 9-Hole Unlimited Play Back 9 Master 29
    12.04.09 Wk 49 9-Hole Unlimited Play Back 9 Master 35
    12.04.09 Wk 49 9-Hole Unlimited Play Back 9 Master

C'mon, show some sportsmanship.  Sandbagging is ugly and, for those who pay attention here in this game, transparent.

• iconian
    599 Posts
    Sat, Dec 5 2009 2:42 PM
    Tibbets, what are they trying to sandbag? Aren't they already a master?:)
  • Lysti
    323 Posts
    Sat, Dec 5 2009 2:46 PM

Maybe they were trying to find the sasquatch like I did on the back of BP recently...oops    =)

• tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Sat, Dec 5 2009 2:57 PM

I assume it's about keeping the average high so that strangers are more willing to play them in Match Play Challenges.  A person with a 65-66 average is probably more willing to bet against someone with a 64 average than someone with a 60-61 average.  When someone with a 61 average suddenly posts a score in the 80's for 18 holes and high 40's for 9 holes back to back, you can bet the farm it's sandbagging  .It's frowned upon in real golf, and the same applies here. 

Call it when you see it.  That's the only way it gets discouraged.

• iconian
    599 Posts
    Sat, Dec 5 2009 3:06 PM
    that's a good point, why didn't I think of that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! too late, everyone knows :( p.s get your ass online and say hi
  • ncviz
    527 Posts
    Sat, Dec 5 2009 3:38 PM

Nice to see that you care Tibbs. Not that it is any of your business, but that score was from me practicing Rob's tourney. Chipped in on 18 by nothing more than luck, the next one, well I really didn't care at that point.

More to Icon's point, If you are a Master, what does it really matter? If you get into a game with a Master and expect any breaks, you're setting yourself up for failure.

If any players are sandbagging, it's the players with low averages, like yourself, just to get on top of some ego board. Either way up or down, it's doesn't make a difference if there isn't a tier above.

And one last thing, get a life and quit browsing thru profiles like you're some kind of police around here. I really don't appreciate being called out when you don't know wth you're talking about. And yes I know you only had the scores down, but I don't have any to hide. If you have a problem with me or whoever report it if that is what floats your boat.

• lilrob88
    870 Posts
    Sat, Dec 5 2009 3:48 PM

lol @ viz

sorry viz :)

• tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Sat, Dec 5 2009 3:58 PM

Yeah, sure.

I didn't call you out.  You just called yourself out by replying.

You just did call me out however.  You can politely keep your personal attacks and opinions of me to yourself and off the forum.  Thanks.

Back to the topic at hand, more and more people in the Master and Pro tiers are posting high scores in succession since playing for credits in Match Play came to WGT.  It ain't a coincidence. Anyone familiar with golf knows what that's all about. 

It's called Sandbagging, and now that people are playing for credits vs. each other, it deserves a little more attention and scrutiny from the public at large.

• ncviz
    527 Posts
    Sat, Dec 5 2009 4:11 PM

tibbets:

You just did call me out however.  You can politely keep your personal attacks and opinions of me to yourself and off the forum.  Thanks.

You are a piece of work I'll give you that. I'm done with the thread, so by all means moan and cry away.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Sat, Dec 5 2009 4:30 PM

Most players with any tenure, will by nature, establish personalized traits that identify the way they gain pleasure from the game. Some are very attentive to their score average never posting anything that may increase that average. When a player who normally won't post a score in a multi-player format and who time and again disconnects before the final putt, then moves away from this habit and suddenly posts scores inconsistant with their norm, eyebrows will be raised and sensible conclusions will be reached. I hold with the conclusion that Mr. Tibbets has offered and if it is accurate it identifies a new creature in our midst that is of the most base form of sandbagging. 

RSS