Forums

Help › Forums

Need some expert advice on equipment!

rated by 0 users
Wed, Jul 8 2020 5:43 AM (8 replies)
  • Veraps
    240 Posts
    Mon, Jul 6 2020 6:08 AM

Hi there, fairly new to the game and a little overwhelmed by all of the equipment choices.  

I'm currently L40 and I have upgraded the following so far:

Driver Ping G25 (L34)

Putter Taylor made spider (L35).

I have about 2800 credits to spend but not sure if I should invest in irons, wedges, or 3 wood.  Any advice on prioritizing those (and specifically what equipment to target) would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Kyle

• SamSpayed
    4,895 Posts
    Mon, Jul 6 2020 10:09 AM

Veraps:

I have about 2800 credits to spend but not sure if I should invest in irons, wedges, or 3 wood.  Any advice on prioritizing those (and specifically what equipment to target) would be greatly appreciated.

My personal opinion - replace your 2 starter wedges with the Titleist Vokey SM7 64° Wedge (L31+) and the Titleist Vokey SM7 60° Wedge (L29+).  That will give you 60 - 75 - 90 yard spacing on your wedges (including the PW included in your starter irons set).  Those two wedges will cost you 2,390 credits, which seems like a lot... but you'll be able to use them for a long time and you'll probably see an immediate improvement in your scores.

• Veraps
    240 Posts
    Mon, Jul 6 2020 11:08 AM

Thanks Sam.  Appreciate the advice!

• Veraps
    240 Posts
    Tue, Jul 7 2020 7:17 AM

Hi Sam, thanks for you advice.  I picked up the wedges and they are great!

I have an additional 6k in credits (after purchasing a shaving kit and doing a credit check lol).  I was thinking about buying the Taylor Made SIM3W (L41) after the rental period - 923 credits seems like a bargain and I'm really struggling to get close on par 5's to be able to use a short iron. Is this a good idea?

Next, i'm considering splurging on irons.  The titleist 718's are realllllly expensive.  Would I be better holding off for the pings at L59 (which is still a fairly long way off) or splurge on the titleist (or something cheaper to bridge the gap)? 

Also, when is the next big bank for your buck driver available?  I should hold back some credits for that too.

Any advice is appreciated.  

• Connorjwebb123
    421 Posts
    Tue, Jul 7 2020 9:45 AM
    Definitely wait to get the L59 irons :) they’re great
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Jul 7 2020 11:51 AM

Veraps:
    Would I be better holding off for the pings at L59

Most definitely, they will take you a long way in this game and are worth the wait. The 3 iron goes 210 so that will close the gap to your 3 wood but the bigger plus is the loft-it's High and that's a definite game changer.

Everything else up to that point is either Med or Med/High. (There's a more expensive set at 45 but the irons aren't as long.) This game needs the High lofted clubs and those are great ones to start with.  :-)

• SamSpayed
    4,895 Posts
    Tue, Jul 7 2020 12:13 PM

I'd like to also suggest that when you pick up the L59 Ping irons, you drop the starter hybrid from your bag and pick up the Titleist Vokey SM7 56° Wedge (L27+).  That wedge goes 90 yds and will close the gap between your other 2 wedges (60 - 75 yds) and the Ping PW (which goes 115 yds).

In fact, if WGT has a sale on wedges between now and when you reach Level 59, I'd go ahead and pick up that wedge then... save a few credits.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Jul 7 2020 3:35 PM

Good call, Sam, I never looked at what he had. In fact, I'd take it a step further until the Legend tier and run with 4 wedges. I never owned a 3W until the back tees.  :-)

• Veraps
    240 Posts
    Wed, Jul 8 2020 5:43 AM

Great advice, thanks guys!  Appreciate it. 

RSS