Help › Forums

Anyone using Titleist 718 AP2 Irons?

Wed, Jul 22 2020 1:18 AM (11 replies)
  • PAGES
  • beerstine
    666 Posts
    Tue, Jul 7 2020 11:29 AM

84walton84:

Purchased the offer. However, I can’t sell the irons which was my intention. Oh well.

I wondered if there were limitations regarding Steam purchases outside the Pro Shop.  I don't mind too much because the other bundled clubs I bought are fine and the additional credits and balls are worth something.

If you play the clubs, let me know how they are.

• beerstine
    666 Posts
    Wed, Jul 22 2020 1:18 AM

I did go ahead and buy this set and have been playing with them for the last couple of weeks with the starter ball to get a neutral evaluation of the clubs.

Overall they are pretty good, especially for a player who needs additional forgiveness.  They are accurate when you hit close to the ding.  Off-dinging for wind conditions is also possible with reasonable accuracy.  If you are way off the line toward the darker section of the meter, your shots will wander quite a ways so they do force you to be a more disciplined player.

The 7i - PW stop well on the green when using full backspin and the PW is long enough to replace 52 degree wedges albeit with a bit less spin.  The mid irons also do fairly well when shooting from elevated positions, but do experience some roll, especially on elevated greens.  The 3 and 4 irons show the medium trajectory more and roll on the greens significantly regardless of backspin. They are the hardest to control but far superior in length and accuracy to the starter set.  The 3 iron shoots longer the starter 3 wood and the 4 Iron can effectively replace the starter hybrid and let you carry more wedges.

I did buy these on the Steam Fairway bundle, which essentially lets you buy 2000 credits for $20 and essentially the clubs and some Titleist balls are a throw in.  I did buy them because the additional credits make it easier to get higher end irons later when I want to.  I will rent the L59 Pings and L64 TM set before making a long term decision.  I’m in no rush to upgrade and can play this set for awhile if nothing else suits me.

For a new player, this set is superior to anything you’d get before the L50s and worth the money if purchased in the bundle.  At the full pro shop rate, I’m not so sure they’re a great value unless you’re a new player who doesn’t mind spending money to bypass the less capable low level sets.

• PAGES
RSS