Forums

Help › Forums

Anyone using Titleist 718 AP2 Irons?

Wed, Jul 22 2020 1:18 AM (11 replies)
  • PAGES
  • beerstine
    664 Posts
    Mon, Jul 6 2020 3:51 AM

I'm fairly new to the game (Level 46) and still using the starter irons.  There's currently a good bundle deal going for Steam users on the Titleist irons set that normally costs a premium in the pro shop.  I haven't seen much feedback from people actually using them in the forums to know if they're a decent choice for someone who isn't at a level to buy the high end clubs or if they'll be obsolete when I do make it to the higher levels.

I've seen a lot of advice from people to wait for the Level 59 Ping irons with the high trajectory, but the forgiveness rating bothers me a bit as I'm not a particularly good ding hitter (usually to the left of the ding and sometimes actually do better with a meter around 4). I haven't hit particularly well with other Ping clubs I've rented.  

Hope someone here can give me some feedback in the next couple of days before the deal goes away.

• TimK560
    45 Posts
    Mon, Jul 6 2020 4:49 AM

When I started which was in April of this year. I few upper players in my CC suggested this. I had the same issues with what to play. This is what they told me. Get a decent driver first. So I got the titliest driver, which went about 280 with the right ball and it was very forgiving. At least this way you are in the holes enough as to where you are not hitting three woods and 3 irons from 200 yards. 

Then get good wedges, which I did. I stopped using the starter ball almost right away. I left the irons for last. I started with the Taylor made sim irons. I progessed from there.

Guess what I am trying to say is that for me getting away from the starter equipment was key. Using those clubs make it much harder to progess quickly. So the Titliest irons, I'm sure are decent and an upgrade from the starter irons. It can't hurt. 

I have progressed enough, Level 74 and got my scoring average into the mid 60's in three months. 

I have my eye on a few items but I'll wait until I get into the 90 level. The higher level you go the better the equipment is. That was key for me. I wanted to get out of the lower levels ASAP. 

• billycash74
    2,076 Posts
    Mon, Jul 6 2020 8:33 AM

if you can afford them i would get them.

• SamSpayed
    4,895 Posts
    Mon, Jul 6 2020 9:10 AM

beerstine:
    There's currently a good bundle deal going for Steam users on the Titleist irons set that normally costs a premium in the pro shop.  

Are you talking about the Fairway Bundle for $19.95?  Yes, that's an excellent deal.

It looks like the bundle includes:

• 2,000 credits
    • 100,000 coins
    • 5 Platinum Apparel Packs
    • 6 Titleist Pro V1x Ultra Slow Meter Vapor Balls (L0+)
    • Titleist 718 AP2 Iron Set (L0+)

Ordinarily, you'd pay $20.00 just for the 2,000 credits alone.  So you're getting a LOT of stuff essentially for free.

Those Titleist irons will be a huge improvement over your starter irons.  And when you get to Level 59, WGT will offer you the L59 Ping irons as a free rental.  After you rent them, WGT will offer them to you at a 10% discount, so your final cost would be 2,495 - 249 = 2,246 credits.  You could sell back the Titleist irons for 936 credits, and then you'd have 2,936 credits... more than enough to buy the discounted Ping irons.

• beerstine
    664 Posts
    Mon, Jul 6 2020 10:39 AM

I got the first Callaway MAVRIK driver that became available and it helped a lot on the longer holes.  It might not have been the best move to make but has made the game much more fun.  I actually ding it more than any other club in my bag now.  It probably won't work well when I get another 20-30 levels up but I'm a ways from that.

I did pull the trigger on a couple of the other bundles for the Scotty Cameron putter and some TM Milled Grind wedges for what amounts to about $10 and some free credits.  I'm still trying to adapt to the meters on the putter and it's much more sensitive to off ding hits than the erratic starter putter I've become used to.  That said, I've made a couple of long putts that I wouldn't have had a prayer with before.

The wedges seem OK and filled a hole for longer wedges in the bag.  I haven't fully used them that much yet on a variety of shots.  I do have a 64 degree Cleveland for shorter shots which I found extremely valuable.  I'll want to use the TM wedges a month or two to get a better feel for them before deciding whether to keep them or get more Clevelands.

• beerstine
    664 Posts
    Mon, Jul 6 2020 10:52 AM

SamSpayed:

beerstine:
    There's currently a good bundle deal going for Steam users on the Titleist irons set that normally costs a premium in the pro shop.  

Are you talking about the Fairway Bundle for $19.95?  Yes, that's an excellent deal.

It looks like the bundle includes:

• 2,000 credits
    • 100,000 coins
    • 5 Platinum Apparel Packs
    • 6 Titleist Pro V1x Ultra Slow Meter Vapor Balls (L0+)
    • Titleist 718 AP2 Iron Set (L0+)

Ordinarily, you'd pay $20.00 just for the 2,000 credits alone.  So you're getting a LOT of stuff essentially for free.

Those Titleist irons will be a huge improvement over your starter irons.  And when you get to Level 59, WGT will offer you the L59 Ping irons as a free rental.  After you rent them, WGT will offer them to you at a 10% discount, so your final cost would be 2,495 - 249 = 2,246 credits.  You could sell back the Titleist irons for 936 credits, and then you'd have 2,936 credits... more than enough to buy the discounted Ping irons.

The math is what make this attractive and undoubtedly those clubs are far better than the starters.  

The big question I have is whether the lower trajectory is going to be a problem without expensive balls.  Rolling off greens has been one of my biggest problems.  The higher forgiveness level probably suits me better than the Pings.

I've scanned the forum and found little feedback from anybody actually playing this set, probably because it's normally much more expensive than comparable sets.  

• 84walton84
    6 Posts
    Mon, Jul 6 2020 2:28 PM

Is this deal only available for certain players as I don’t see it anywhere?

• Connorjwebb123
    421 Posts
    Mon, Jul 6 2020 3:51 PM
    You’ll be level 59 in no time to get the pings. It isn’t worth it
  • beerstine
    664 Posts
    Mon, Jul 6 2020 5:35 PM

84walton84:

Is this deal only available for certain players as I don’t see it anywhere?

I think it's only for Steam users, it's not in the regular Pro Shop.

• 84walton84
    6 Posts
    Tue, Jul 7 2020 7:08 AM

Purchased the offer. However, I can’t sell the irons which was my intention. Oh well.

• PAGES
RSS