Forums

Help › Forums

L59 Ping Irons - How long to acclimate to them?

Sun, Apr 11 2021 12:25 PM (25 replies)
  • TeslaNole
    8 Posts
    Fri, Jul 10 2020 6:42 PM

Good call on mapping them. I did so last night (along with my driver, 3W and wedges). Couldn't get perfectly on the ding every time, but close enough, I think. I'd be glad to post what I came up with in case others could benefit from it, but I can't figure out how to post an image. Maybe I can't as a fairly new poster.

I used the L11 Srixion ball, but tested the L33 Callaway afterwards and they behaved similarly, with the Callaway getting another yard or two in each case.

Thanks again!

• CostaSan
    7 Posts
    Sat, Oct 17 2020 5:53 AM

Ciao, avevo intenzione anche io di comprare questo set di ferri. Adesso me li consiglieresti? Sei riuscito a settarli bene? 

• Tony08888
    564 Posts
    Sat, Oct 17 2020 2:07 PM

TeslaNole:

Good call on mapping them. I did so last night (along with my driver, 3W and wedges). Couldn't get perfectly on the ding every time, but close enough, I think. I'd be glad to post what I came up with in case others could benefit from it, but I can't figure out how to post an image. Maybe I can't as a fairly new poster.

I used the L11 Srixion ball, but tested the L33 Callaway afterwards and they behaved similarly, with the Callaway getting another yard or two in each case.

Thanks again!

Guys, if you can wait until the mid 80’s before upgrading or until your next upgrade, you will have some really good upgrade options. All with 4.4 meter speed except the wedges.

Level 85+ Callaway driver 

Level 86+ Callaway 3 Wood 

Level 85+ Callaway irons 

Level 80+ Max Control putter 

Level 70’s wedges mentioned above

Those clubs are really all you would ever need to have great clubs without ever upgrading again. Those clubs combined with Callaway 33 balls and you’re in the money. 

Ciao, avevo intenzione anche io di comprare questo set di ferri. Adesso me li consiglieresti? Sei riuscito a settarli bene?”

Ragazzi, se potete aspettare fino alla metà degli anni '80 prima di eseguire l'upgrade o fino al vostro prossimo upgrade, avrete delle ottime opzioni di upgrade. Tutti con una velocità di 4,4 metri tranne le zeppe.

Livello 85+ Callaway driver

Livello 86+ Callaway 3 Wood

Ferri Callaway di livello 85+

Putter di controllo massimo di livello 80+

Zeppe di livello 70 sopra menzionate

Quei club sono davvero tutto ciò di cui hai bisogno per avere grandi club senza mai aggiornare di nuovo. Quei club combinati con Callaway 33 palline e tu sei in the money.

• NickolasMagos
    33 Posts
    Sat, Oct 17 2020 2:28 PM

Coming up short or long has to do with the initial bounce if it's on an upslope, downslope or flat. Lots of greens are elevated from the fairway and the ball's momentum is killed abruptly.  If you land on the green and it's significantly downhill don't be surprised if the ball rolls 8 to 10 yards past the hole.  What's weird is playing at st andrews where the ball rolls forever both on the fairway and on the green.

I am also having trouble with the wind and getting significantly inconsistent results, both by adjusting and not adjusting for it.  Sometimes the wind affects it a lot and sometimes almost none.  Maybe it has to do with a cross tail wind and cross head wind. It would make sense that going into the wind the ball would get pushed off target more than if was helped forward by a tailwind.  I have not verified this yet though.

• Connorjwebb123
    421 Posts
    Sat, Oct 17 2020 5:47 PM
    CostaSan:

Ciao, avevo intenzione anche io di comprare questo set di ferri. Adesso me li consiglieresti? Sei riuscito a settarli bene? 

se te li puoi permettere, comprali, saranno quello che vuoi fino ad arrivare al livello 85.
  • Miantiao
    401 Posts
    Sun, Oct 18 2020 2:22 AM

TeslaNole:
    my non-dinged shots with the Pings are much less predictable than they were with the Starters.

This is because the spin rating is higher.

A golden rule to remember is a missed ding against the breeze or slope is far less punishing than a missed ding with the breeze or slope. Moreover you may want to take note before your shot of a preferred missed ding, either a push or a tug against the the breeze or slope.

You'll find a missed ding in this fashion most times will still get you a few yards from the pin or you will still hole the putt.

Regarding your clubs and ball selection you need to map your clubs with your preferred ball.

Personally I'd recommend you use The lvl33 Callys at 250cr. They're the best value ball on WGT, and they're also great to use. Importantly they have a 3.5 spin rating.

In addition, once you get used to the lvl 33 Callys you won't need to adjust much if you decide later to use the lvl 48 or 61 TMs because they all have the same spin rating.

If later on you decide to use a very high spin ball then you'll need to map that ball with whatever club set you're using. 

Now that you've bought the Pings you may as well keep them until you reach lvl 90 and then purchase the TM irons at that lvl. They are far superior to any iron set below lvl 90 because of their spin rating, and compare very well to the top lvl iron sets such as my Nikes and the current top lvl Callaways.

Mike

• Miantiao
    401 Posts
    Sun, Oct 18 2020 4:47 AM

Tony08888:
    Guys, if you can wait until the mid 80’s before upgrading or until your next upgrade, you will have some really good upgrade options.

Players are better off waiting till lvl 90 to purchase iron sets. The 80s lvl iron sets only have a spin rating of 3.5 compared to the lvl 90 TMs which have a 4.5 spin rating. There is no comparison. 

• Tony08888
    564 Posts
    Sun, Oct 18 2020 11:25 AM

Not disagreeing that the Lvl 90 is a better set of irons due to spin and distance. I just couldn’t get used to the meter speed and the “feel” of them. Went through 7 long levels with them missing my 85 rogues all the way til lvl 97 clubs.

No more upgrades for me. Just have to get used to the Cally 33’s now instead of lvl 81 TM.

Damn Covid.

• Miantiao
    401 Posts
    Mon, Oct 19 2020 7:32 PM

Tony08888:
    Not disagreeing that the Lvl 90 is a better set of irons due to spin and distance. I

Spin difference is the overriding factor differentiating lvl 80s iron sets with the lvl 90 entry level top iron sets. 

I used them until I purchased my Nikes. There's not much difference between them.

If I were spending money instead of won credits I wouldn't waste that cash on lvl 80s iron sets.

My advice to players nearing the 80s levels is to wait the extra few levels and purchase a decent iron set and kiss goodbye to your ball rolling those extra yards on the greens. They make a huge difference.

Tony08888:
    Just have to get used to the Cally 33’s now instead of lvl 81 TM.

Best value ball on WGT, and once clubs are mapped to them there's not much difference regarding calc to compensate for spin compared to lvl 48 or 61 TMs.

Imho the lvl 61 TM is the best ball on WGT.

WGT's best player uses them, and he's pushing $200,000 in winnings.

• el3n1
    4,491 Posts
    Wed, Oct 21 2020 10:25 AM

Miantiao:
    My advice to players nearing the 80s levels is to wait the extra few levels and purchase a decent iron set and kiss goodbye to your ball rolling those extra yards on the greens. They make a huge difference.

If you can handle the meter of the L90 irons, they work well for those with quick reflexes or meter timing and likely allow you to play a slightly cheaper ball.

Those who play and use the L85 irons competitively however, do tend to use either the L93 TM or the L87 Titleist ball. 

And the etour SOTW event shows top players in the game are still posting very low scores using the L85 irons - again most of which is done with a higher end ball.  That does depend on the course though, because Mags has used the L51 Volvik ball with the L85 irons on shorter courses that permit it (like his round on Oakmont). 

Whereas the person playing the L90 irons could probably get by using a L48 / L61 ball easier than the person with the L85 irons.

Since ball cost can grow exponentially depending on how much you play, this too can be a factor in club choices along with the meter speed and whether you are playing recreationally or trying to compete among the better players.

---

I believe the L48 TM is identical to the L61 spec wise but just a slightly faster meter. 

But to be fair, Mags does upgrade his ball on certain courses to remain competitive in the bigger payout events.  He does not always use the L61, so I suspect there are instances when he deems the L61 may just be a small degree less competitive in the those events on certain courses.

Now - if you start adding in jacked up sponsor apparel with high end clubs, you can customize your setup to play virtually any ball competitively from what I have seen.  Have seen some post amazing scores with 10 credit WGT balls.  

RSS