Forums

Help › Forums

Another wind question

Tue, Aug 18 2020 5:19 AM (12 replies)
  • PAGES
  • pdiehm
    285 Posts
    Fri, Jul 3 2020 7:06 AM
    Are certain balls more affected by wind than others? I am noticing my aiming point for when I used a level 87 titleist....if I use same aiming style for the level 33 callaway it’s getting blown A lot more offline than the 87 ball would.
  • Dex000
    109 Posts
    Fri, Jul 3 2020 7:51 AM

Yes.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Jul 3 2020 7:53 AM

Without question, yes. The best way I can illustrate it is by pointing out the major difference between TMs and Titleists-the TMs play like cotton where the Titleists play like a weighted ball. I play that 87T.

I played the TMs for a month when they first came out then  switched to the Titleist to see the difference. It only took 1 ball to see it-they flew true where those TMs would get knocked about, mostly down. IDK about those Callaways but I suspect they're in the same class as the TMs.

• DanL24
    61 Posts
    Fri, Jul 10 2020 7:46 AM

pdiehm:
    Are certain balls more affected by wind than others? I am noticing my aiming point for when I used a level 87 titleist....if I use same aiming style for the level 33 callaway it’s getting blown A lot more offline than the 87 ball would.

I think the only difference is the spin rating of various balls.  Higher spin balls impacted more by the wind, especially if you add backspin to the shot which results in an even higher ball flight (more time in the air to be exposed to the wind).

• pdiehm
    285 Posts
    Sun, Aug 16 2020 6:54 AM
    Just had another one. Wolf creek. 190 down 57’. Wind blowing 20-22 left to right as you look at hole. Line up my tee shot. 6i. About 80% backspin. Aimed about in the creek left of the green. Hit it. Dinged it. All of a sudden, camera angle changes and you have the sinking feeling. It’s actually mostly a tailwind and I lose a ball that had 2 hits on it. There is nothing I could have done based on the information I had to say it’s a tailwind and not a cross wind. If I anticipate a tailwind, it won’t be and I am 100’ away from the hole. That is the *** that infuriates me.
  • DanL24
    61 Posts
    Sun, Aug 16 2020 5:36 PM

pdiehm:
    Just had another one. Wolf creek. 190 down 57’. Wind blowing 20-22 left to right as you look at hole. Line up my tee shot. 6i. About 80% backspin. Aimed about in the creek left of the green. Hit it. Dinged it. All of a sudden, camera angle changes and you have the sinking feeling. It’s actually mostly a tailwind and I lose a ball that had 2 hits on it. There is nothing I could have done based on the information I had to say it’s a tailwind and not a cross wind. If I anticipate a tailwind, it won’t be and I am 100’ away from the hole. That is the *** that infuriates me.

When you say "left to right as you look at the hole" are you referring to changing the viewpoint from where you were to look at the green for aiming?  Because the only wind that matters is what you see when the shot initially loads.  Any change of view is likely to show a different wind than what will impact the shot.  The wind from the initial view is always the correct wind to judge IMHO.

I just find it difficult to believe I have literally never seen an occurrence of what you claim happens frequently.

• el3n1
    4,491 Posts
    Mon, Aug 17 2020 10:40 AM

pdiehm:
    That is the *** that infuriates me.

Sounds like you were playing a coin game... was it a tie breaker or par 3 tee shot?

Coin games are notorious for wonky variance... another good reason why I play the cheaper or promo balls for coin games.  It won't matter if I used a mapped out good ball or a mapped out cheap ball.. wind can be way off at times.  But weird shots do happen.  Seen enough of them myself and I have taken the time to map a wide array of balls even for the silly coin games.

I don't know what ball you are or were playing but from your description even if it wasn't a helping wind... it sounds like too much club...

a 6i with roughly 3/4 BS and a decent ball will likely go somewhere in the 180 -185y range in the general spin setting I think.

even with rudimentary calc of 190 - (57/3) = 171  without seeing the shot... it sounds like you are going long even without a helping wind...

it almost sounds like you were trying to adjust 6i yardage for a fairway mapping than a tee shot mapping distance..

• pdiehm
    285 Posts
    Mon, Aug 17 2020 10:55 AM

it was a coin game, but you can see in the picture I'm attaching, it's a 20-22 mph wind, slight helping.  

The shot went...209 or so?  This happens all the time, you set up for a shot, specially the next to last par 3 at chambers, where the wind will 100% lie to you.  During the flight of my ball, it changed to the green camera and showed a much more severe tailwind than what I saw on the Tee.  

• pdiehm
    285 Posts
    Mon, Aug 17 2020 10:56 AM

i apparently don't know how to post a picture.

• el3n1
    4,491 Posts
    Mon, Aug 17 2020 11:31 AM

pdiehm:
    The shot went...209 or so?  This happens all the time

I wasn't disagreeing about wonky shots happening..  not sure I would go so far as saying ALL the time... but it is frustrating when it happens. 

If they happened all the time, we would not be able to get as consistent as we are now... and I think there still is some degree or reasonable expectation on how shots will play most of the time.

• PAGES
RSS