Help › Forums

This wind crap needs to be fixed

rated by 0 users
Wed, Jul 1 2020 3:48 PM (13 replies)
  • PAGES
  • pdiehm
    285 Posts
    Tue, Jun 30 2020 12:08 PM

I'm playing Chambers Bay in heavy winds, Back 9.  Get to the par 3 15th.   The wind is 24-26 blowing to 8:00.  So about 60% headwind.  I adjust my club for a 216 yard shot, figure it'll put me on the green, probably above the hole and 2 putt par.  Cool, moving on.

I hit my shot, and the game switches cameras and what do I notice?  The wind is actually a 24-26 wind blowing at 6:00.  Fall in the bunker, naturally 40-50 lie, 39 yards short of the pin.  I do the best I can, and bogey.  

Here's the problem, this has been happening very frequently, like 2-3 times a round.  I checked the 2nd camera angle to verify the wind direction.  It matched what I had on camera 1 on the tee box.  Had I known it was a true headwind blowing directly into my face, my shot isn't a 4i, it's a full 3i.  Give me a wind direction that is actually on the green.  By showing me something else, the rug gets pulled out from under you.   It's even worse when you only have 1 additional camera to use, and if that validates what the original view says....what are you to do, if you guess, you sure as shootin are going to be wrong, that much I can be sure about.

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,468 Posts
    Tue, Jun 30 2020 12:57 PM

The very same thing happens on the greens as well: lying dots! I know fmags posted a video about this on YouTube but sometimes it's so hard to judge which dot to trust. Extremely frustrating!

Coming back to "lying" winds, what I often do is I don't blindly trust the wind shown to me, switch various camera angles back and forth, and get the average of it. It works most of times and gives me decent results. Hope it helps.

• pdiehm
    285 Posts
    Tue, Jun 30 2020 4:48 PM
    SimonTheBeetle:

The very same thing happens on the greens as well: lying dots! I know fmags posted a video about this on YouTube but sometimes it's so hard to judge which dot to trust. Extremely frustrating!

Coming back to "lying" winds, what I often do is I don't blindly trust the wind shown to me, switch various camera angles back and forth, and get the average of it. It works most of times and gives me decent results. Hope it helps.

In this example there were only 2 camera views and both showed the same thing. That’s the frustration.
  • DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Tue, Jun 30 2020 5:24 PM

SimonTheBeetle:

I had that happen today on Oakmont. I used the reverse view and worked out.

I think someone said one time with the wind that camera views are different angles.

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,468 Posts
    Tue, Jun 30 2020 6:35 PM

pdiehm:
    In this example there were only 2 camera views and both showed the same thing. That’s the frustration.

Another thing you can do is make your own notebook on which you can write down all this kind of special situations. Trust me, it's worth doing it.

DonCaron:
    I had that happen today on Oakmont. I used the reverse view and worked out.

I think someone said one time with the wind that camera views are different angles.

Good for you, Don. :) I often trust the wrong ones. LOL

I believe KIawah is the worst as far as the camera angles are concerned. Just horrible there!

• ElDystoped
    49 Posts
    Tue, Jun 30 2020 6:46 PM
    Since the last update, wind has been a lot diff. I have had shots go completely opposite of a strong wind, dinged and aimed approp. The putting is also diff, the dots are not moving the same. This is PCEA only, coin rooms only. Also, clubs mapped pretty solidly, shots are going longer now by 4-5 yds, wedges too. Sucks when you get to a tiebreaker, shot you have played 1000 times, and it goes 4 yds long from 29 yds out, lol. I played 5 rounds in a row just to test my clubs and ask others if they notice, all said they do, something changed.
  • Yiannis1970
    3,262 Posts
    Wed, Jul 1 2020 1:50 AM

Kia may have the worst cameras but the worst green mapping by far goes to Merion. Merion is a joke on the greens.

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,468 Posts
    Wed, Jul 1 2020 2:24 AM

Yiannis1970:

Kia may have the worst cameras but the worst green mapping by far goes to Merion. Merion is a joke on the greens.

LOL Merion is just satanic as a golf course. Whoever designed it must be an evil! ;^)

• Yiannis1970
    3,262 Posts
    Wed, Jul 1 2020 2:52 AM

Merion's designer must remain anonymous...otherwise he would have a big problem if i get my hands on him!! LOL

• DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Wed, Jul 1 2020 5:59 AM
    Yiannis1970:

Merion's designer must remain anonymous...otherwise he would have a big problem if i get my hands on him!! LOL

Hugh Irvine Wilson is the culprit
  • PAGES
RSS