Forums

Help › Forums

6’ putts

Tue, Jun 2 2020 7:25 AM (39 replies)
  • pdiehm
    285 Posts
    Mon, Jun 1 2020 11:55 AM

oh i get that.  Pebble has one...I want to say it's 5 or 15, where if you are above the hole on 12+ greens you're going to be 20' below the hole if you miss the cup.

if I have a severe downslope like is being referenced, I take out the 2' extra of distance.  

• craigswan
    30,977 Posts
    Mon, Jun 1 2020 1:32 PM

Try shutting your eyes .

• Tony08888
    564 Posts
    Tue, Jun 2 2020 6:21 AM

Just watched hole 6 and haven’t read any replies so this may have been covered. 

You are aiming from reverse which is correct. Notice when you hold the aimer to move it, the grid changes putting your ball and the hole between the same gridlines.

Hold the aimer down keeping both ball and hole between the same grids. Holding the aimer down, move the grids slightly to the uphill side of the break placing the ball slightly uphill to the hole. Doing this shows you the precise break from ball to hole.

• pdiehm
    285 Posts
    Tue, Jun 2 2020 6:42 AM

Tony08888:

Just watched hole 6 and haven’t read any replies so this may have been covered. 

You are aiming from reverse which is correct. Notice when you hold the aimer to move it, the grid changes putting your ball and the hole between the same gridlines.

Hold the aimer down keeping both ball and hole between the same grids. Holding the aimer down, move the grids slightly to the uphill side of the break placing the ball slightly uphill to the hole. Doing this shows you the precise break from ball to hole.

I think I know what you mean, but i'm not sure?  Hold the screen, move the grid to the uphill side of the hole for a clearer picture of the break?

• maoriand1
    1,279 Posts
    Tue, Jun 2 2020 6:59 AM

SimonTheBeetle:

Wait until you get to TC tier where you'll have to putt on GS13+. It's gonna drive you even more insane! ;-P

buahuahauh u right Simon 

• Tony08888
    564 Posts
    Tue, Jun 2 2020 7:07 AM

pdiehm:

I think I know what you mean, but i'm not sure?  Hold the screen, move the grid to the uphill side of the hole for a clearer picture of the break?

Keep your finger on the aimer. Most of the time on shorter putts, the gridlines will change positions putting your ball and the hole between the same lines. On hole 6 there was a gridline running center between your ball and the hole causing you to read two different segments. A segment to the left of the hole and the other to the right. Ideally you want the ball and the hole between the same gridlines.

f the break is going from left to right looking from reverse view, Move the grids right. This puts the ball higher than the hole between the two grids.  Doing this allows you to see the flow better from ball to hole. 

Here is a quick video:  https://youtu.be/OJdw51omNaA

• maoriand1
    1,279 Posts
    Tue, Jun 2 2020 7:08 AM

pdiehm:

https://youtu.be/t8EZxore0v4

hole 6 is a classic example.

i would have played more aim, more speed and hitting the ding.  

to calc the speed and play more aggressive : 

7,9/greenspeed * distance (+-elevation ) +2 

in this putt i would have probably played 4,73... 16% with scale 30. 

anyway i would have played the scale 10 for this putt . 

but as someone said : be accurate or you will start to lips out very easy. 

• pdiehm
    285 Posts
    Tue, Jun 2 2020 7:17 AM

maoriand1:

pdiehm:

https://youtu.be/t8EZxore0v4

hole 6 is a classic example.

i would have played more aim, more speed and hitting the ding.  

to calc the speed and play more aggressive : 

7,9/greenspeed * distance (+-elevation ) +2 

in this putt i would have probably played 4,73... 16% with scale 30. 

anyway i would have played the scale 10 for this putt . 

but as someone said : be accurate or you will start to lips out very easy. 

I'm already a master at lipping out putts.  My putting formula is similar, but will try yours out too.  I use ((D +/- Elevation) + 2) * Green Speed Variable (ie: 0.69 for 12 greens)

• pdiehm
    285 Posts
    Tue, Jun 2 2020 7:19 AM

Tony08888:

pdiehm:

Keep your finger on the aimer. Most of the time on shorter putts, the gridlines will change positions putting your ball and the hole between the same lines. On hole 6 there was a gridline running center between your ball and the hole causing you to read two different segments. A segment to the left of the hole and the other to the right. Ideally you want the ball and the hole between the same gridlines.

f the break is going from left to right looking from reverse view, Move the grids right. This puts the ball higher than the hole between the two grids.  Doing this allows you to see the flow better from ball to hole. 

Here is a quick video:  https://youtu.be/OJdw51omNaA

Thanks.  Where I get into trouble (and I'm assuming I'm not alone) is when I don't have a true reverse view...whether I be slightly offset or at a 45 degree angle view.  To make the post short, I guess in those, close my eyes and pray.  No one in my club has been able to offer any kind of advice on how to line those up.

• pdiehm
    285 Posts
    Tue, Jun 2 2020 7:25 AM

i relooked at this...I did not ding it to try to hit the ball into the break, but as I have come to find out, the golden putter is not the putter to miss ding putts with, which is odd given the forgiveness rating.  

That said, it's been brought to my attention that the area to misding putts and still maintain accuracy is much larger in that area than originally thought, but you need to hit the putts harder.

My calculation was 5.3' of putt travel on 10 greens, or 18% on the 30' scale (which I'd round up to 20%) and take a little off the break and try to ding it.  

it's a work in progress.

RSS