Forums

Help › Forums

6’ putts

Tue, Jun 2 2020 7:25 AM (39 replies)
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, May 27 2020 7:17 AM

pdiehm:
    Maybe I don't understand how to line up a putt to the apex of the arc?  

The trick is to get that mental image right. One way you can do that is using the putt preview in the practice mode. Using a ball with a tracer helps, too.  Get your speed right and then putt to that aiming point at the top of the arc.

One thing that many, many players miss is the "foot" break like the 2nd drawing. That's the break at your feet that's easy to overlook-it will steer you off on the wrong line right from the putter head.

• pdiehm
    285 Posts
    Wed, May 27 2020 7:52 AM

I almost wonder if it's better to place my pointer at the top of the curve and hit my putt....I don't *need* it at or around the cup right?

• pdiehm
    285 Posts
    Wed, May 27 2020 8:28 AM

So here's Merion's Par 3...a hole that I will inevitably double bogey on a good day.  This putt per Putt Preview will go in.....

BUT, I don't understand why.  This is the part that is bothering me.  I don't know why i would ever put my line right there.  

image.png

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, May 27 2020 9:22 AM

pdiehm:

I almost wonder if it's better to place my pointer at the top of the curve and hit my putt....I don't *need* it at or around the cup right?

Exactly, as long as the speed is right.  :-)

• Mythanatos
    2,203 Posts
    Wed, May 27 2020 9:39 AM

actually 6 foot putts and less it's more about flattening out the curve and ramming it in.

example a 4 foot putt on 12 greens with a drop of 1 inch. Math's out to 3 feet power on the putt. But I hit it 5 feet of power. 

Another example 6 foot putt with 3 inches down. Is this mostly downhill with little to no break ? the math says 2.5 feet power. Im probably hitting it 4.5 to 5 power. If it's crazy side break and it's stroke play I'll probably cover myself and try to die it in hole and make par my worst outcome and hit it the 2.5 power.  But side break and match play or a coin room I'm probably going to flatten it out  some and ram it with the 4.5 power. 

if have break move the marker into the break depending on amount of break and also offding the putt slightly into the  break. 

slight off ding into break is the same as dinging it. offding with the break and youll probably miss below the hole. so the hedge is the other way.

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,502 Posts
    Thu, May 28 2020 2:38 PM

YankeeJim:

pdiehm:
    Maybe I don't understand how to line up a putt to the apex of the arc?  

The trick is to get that mental image right. One way you can do that is using the putt preview in the practice mode. Using a ball with a tracer helps, too.  Get your speed right and then putt to that aiming point at the top of the arc.

One thing that many, many players miss is the "foot" break like the 2nd drawing. That's the break at your feet that's easy to overlook-it will steer you off on the wrong line right from the putter head.

Excellent explanation with great illustrations!

Another thing you want to take into consideration is in WGT land, "initial break breaks more than late break". This is one thing I still have a hard time bearing in mind 'cause IRL it's kinda the opposite unless it's an insanely severe downhill putt. Anyone who plays real golf knows that initial break breaks less as ball departs with force and late break breaks more as its speed dies off. Moreover, ball starts off uphill at the beginning in most cases even if it's a downhill putt.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, May 28 2020 3:51 PM

SimonTheBeetle:
    Anyone who plays real golf knows that initial break breaks less as ball departs with force and late break breaks more as its speed dies off.

That's the quandry with foot breaks-how hard you hit it determines how much affect it has on the line. Generally, the longer putts where you have to hit it harder tend to be less affected by foot breaks because you're powering through them.

Odd bit of experience to relate here. I've found that long, long putts with confusing views and lines are best figured by a.) getting the speed right and b.) dinging the default aim.

A cockeyed theory I came up with a while ago (my perception, my reality-lol) told me programmers weren't about to map greens a mile away from the hole so they program the dings to go in if the speed is right. LOL. I'll be damned if it doesn't hold water because it's a guaranteed gimme if it doesn't drop.  :-D

p.s., Not knocking the programmers, I'd think the same way.  You ain't spota be there in the first place. :-)

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,502 Posts
    Thu, May 28 2020 4:15 PM

YankeeJim:

That's the quandry with foot breaks-how hard you hit it determines how much affect it has on the line. Generally, the longer putts where you have to hit it harder tend to be less affected by foot breaks because you're powering through them.

Odd bit of experience to relate here. I've found that long, long putts with confusing views and lines are best figured by a.) getting the speed right and b.) dinging the default aim.

A cockeyed theory I came up with a while ago (my perception, my reality-lol) told me programmers weren't about to map greens a mile away from the hole so they program the dings to go in if the speed is right. LOL. I'll be damned if it doesn't hold water because it's a guaranteed gimme if it doesn't drop.  :-D

p.s., Not knocking the programmers, I'd think the same way.  You ain't spota be there in the first place. :-)

Very true. That's why some even say "Speed is everything".

That is a very interesting theory you've got there and I think it does hold water because often times "casually & roughly aimed" long putts go into the hole as if it's sucked into the black hole. I guess these are the cases in which speed happened to be right. Again, very interesting... I've never thought of it that way.

• pdiehm
    285 Posts
    Mon, Jun 1 2020 5:25 AM

last night i made 3 30' eagles, 2 14' birdies...and missed every putt inside of 7' in a round (minus the par save kickins).  

the guy i was playing with, must be nice to have the ability to drain bombs.  Little did he know that it was nothing but pure luck.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Jun 1 2020 5:28 AM

pdiehm:
    missed every putt inside of 7'

What do the misses look like?

What other putter do you have besides the golden one?

RSS