Help › Forums

Am I being naive?

Mon, Jun 8 2020 12:08 PM (16 replies)
  • PAGES
  • DanL24
    61 Posts
    Wed, Jun 3 2020 12:49 PM

Buzzardp:

It  seems that mobile players can no longer be competitive tho. By spending money with wgt on equipment we can achieve a little more length/control etc,but that cant compensate for the advantages of a mouse and big screen. I have just played a 3 hole game  , 25 mph crosswinds and tournament speed green. Despite this, by as he put it "using the math" he was able to plant every approach shot within 2 yards which is crazy. We dont have the option of "using the math" or calculators spreadsheets etc, on our mobiles. 

Viewing this cynically, I guess wgt are happy to let us carry on spending money on ever more expensive equipment in a forlorn attempt to compete against players who dont need to buy it.

Its a pity,

I am a mobile only player and have not noticed the issues you bring up.  I can still usually dominate most people in coin rooms, except for some very skilled tour legends and above.  Sticking irons tight in huge crosswinds is mostly a matter of getting your aim right and hitting the ding.  It isn't some special math that people can use on a different platform.

• JDGHOST
    6,748 Posts
    Thu, Jun 4 2020 5:02 AM

Buzzardp:

It  seems that mobile players can no longer be competitive tho. By spending money with wgt on equipment we can achieve a little more length/control etc,but that cant compensate for the advantages of a mouse and big screen. I have just played a 3 hole game  , 25 mph crosswinds and tournament speed green. Despite this, by as he put it "using the math" he was able to plant every approach shot within 2 yards which is crazy. We dont have the option of "using the math" or calculators spreadsheets etc, on our mobiles. 

Viewing this cynically, I guess wgt are happy to let us carry on spending money on ever more expensive equipment in a forlorn attempt to compete against players who dont need to buy it.

Its a pity,

Not sure I follow your gripe?....Some of the very best player in WGT play on tablets and have always been mobile? Also you can get a mouse as others have stated if you feel your at some sort of disadvantage?? And EVERY top PC or "PCEA" player also spends the money you speak of on top equipment ...so your comment " a forlorn attempt to compete against players who dont need to buy it." Is a bit outta wack...

And the math you speak of is not a "magical thing" that ONLY PC players have access to.... check the forum there are tons of threads about wind and yardage math formulas that many players use....There are even video's by top players using said formulas and in their hand they are using  these amazing devices called "calculators" ( I think they been around awhile and are available for anyone PC or Mobile alike 😃)...

JD

• Mythanatos
    2,203 Posts
    Thu, Jun 4 2020 12:26 PM

as someone htat has played a lot on both platforms. I have gone back and forth on which platform i do better at.

Currently I'm more consistent when i play on my phone that i am when i play on my PC. Smaller screen and all. Im definitely playing better on my phone. 

But i've had other stretches where i played better on my PC.  Sometimes i play better on my tablet. The math is the same on everything.

• Andy040961
    40 Posts
    Fri, Jun 5 2020 1:16 PM

Hi 

I have developed a (%) Power Meter for an iPad (240mm x 170mm) in the form of a 'Sticker'. It basically replaces ShotPal - which for mobile platforms is dubious to say the least. My Power-Meter 'Sticker' has index marks at every 2% from 30-100%. As you can imagine the power from Right -Left is non-linear on an iPad. I can now judge many shots to within a couple of yards! I of course still calculate/estimate elevation and wind correction quickly using a few basic rules/multipliers before 'dialling' in the exact (%) yardage!!!

Love it 😍 

Happy to play anyone!

Yours

Andy

• DanL24
    61 Posts
    Sat, Jun 6 2020 8:37 AM

Andy040961:

Hi 

I have developed a (%) Power Meter for an iPad (240mm x 170mm) in the form of a 'Sticker'. It basically replaces ShotPal - which for mobile platforms is dubious to say the least. My Power-Meter 'Sticker' has index marks at every 2% from 30-100%. As you can imagine the power from Right -Left is non-linear on an iPad. I can now judge many shots to within a couple of yards! I of course still calculate/estimate elevation and wind correction quickly using a few basic rules/multipliers before 'dialling' in the exact (%) yardage!!!

Love it 😍 

Happy to play anyone!

Yours

Andy

The power meter is nonlinear for all clubs except putter no matter what platform you are using.  That's why most top players would tell you that you need to map out your clubs for various swing percentages so you know the carry and roll out for various swings with each club.

• Tigerpaw509
    1,285 Posts
    Sun, Jun 7 2020 8:28 AM

I play with the Mac Early Access on my Imac and runs great and actually prefer it over the flash version

• Andy040961
    40 Posts
    Mon, Jun 8 2020 12:08 PM

Thanks for that Dan really appreciated. I wrongly assumed the PC platform was also linear when using ShotPal.

I just thought I would make it easier for myself and develop the 'Sticker' for my iPad. I decided to plot each of my clubs at the linear %s and graphed the data in Excel. I then fitted 2-part polynomial curves and what I noticed was that they all performed to the same non-linear fashion so hence the development of the non-linear Sticker.

However, one still has to hit the 'Ding' whatever we 'dial' in.

Cheers

Yours

Andy

• PAGES
RSS