Putting From The Fringe

rated by 0 users
Tue, Jun 30 2020 11:09 AM (15 replies)
  • PAGES
  • BWerthy
    1,009 Posts
    Tue, May 12 2020 9:00 AM

GreenKing72:

Many times I find myself wanting to putt from the fringe. 

Hi there Green King, 

I am pretty sure you’ve heard it before, but I think it is much easier to chip from the fringe than it is to putt. Some things in real golf just don’t translate. Or at least I have found that some things don’t, especially putting from the fringe. If I am on the fringe, you can guarantee I’ll be chipping.  I have never holed out from putting off the fringe but certainly have with a wedge. You should give it a try

• HackWilson1930
    1,437 Posts
    Wed, May 13 2020 5:58 AM

It is possible to putt from the fairway just off the green while not on the fringe by doing conversions. The putter meter is given in yards rather than feet. With practice this can be another useful tool.

• DanL24
    61 Posts
    Thu, May 14 2020 9:39 AM

BWerthy:

I am pretty sure you’ve heard it before, but I think it is much easier to chip from the fringe than it is to putt. Some things in real golf just don’t translate. Or at least I have found that some things don’t, especially putting from the fringe. If I am on the fringe, you can guarantee I’ll be chipping.  I have never holed out from putting off the fringe but certainly have with a wedge. You should give it a try

I think it is not difficult to putt from the fringe and have holed any number of putts from there, but occasionally I can struggle to determine how hard to hit a putt.  You might have a 15 foot putt that is uphill 3 inches and you think I just need to hit 18+1 feet and then calculate green speed and give it a go, except you might come up 8 feet short because the fringe significantly slows the ball down.  I think it is mostly a question of how much fringe you are putting through and you can only take a visual guesstimate at that.  I usually add about 5-6 feet of distance to my putts from the fringe but that is not always correct.

When I look at the putt if it appears to be a large amount of fringe to putt through, I will simply chip or flop depending on the break of the green.

• ScottHope
    10,006 Posts
    Thu, May 14 2020 1:20 PM
  • BWerthy
    1,009 Posts
    Mon, Jun 29 2020 6:29 PM

DanL24:

I think it is not difficult to putt from the fringe and have holed any number of putts from there, but occasionally I can struggle to determine how hard to hit a putt.  You might have a 15 foot putt that is uphill 3 inches and you think I just need to hit 18+1 feet and then calculate green speed and give it a go, except you might come up 8 feet short because the fringe significantly slows the ball down.  I think it is mostly a question of how much fringe you are putting through and you can only take a visual guesstimate at that.  I usually add about 5-6 feet of distance to my putts from the fringe but that is not always correct.

DanL24

i didn’t know that when I wrote the flop forum post that you already had your eyes on me 🥰 

What i posted here was also something I learned very early on that flopping from the fringe helped me a lot.  

now I have played a little more and spent some time putting out of the fringe.  You are exactly right about the amount of fringe there is.  I found that when calculating my putting, whatever the green speed is, I add to it .5 percent for slower greens and not as much for faster greens but it also depends on how much fringe.  And because of that I have gone mostly back to flopping/pitching/chipping.  But it is also probably good to be able to situationally go back and forth between putting from the fringe to chipping and pitching  

• DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Tue, Jun 30 2020 11:09 AM

BWerthy:

What i posted here was also something I learned very early on that flopping from the fringe helped me a lot.  

now I have played a little more and spent some time putting out of the fringe.  You are exactly right about the amount of fringe there is.  I found that when calculating my putting, whatever the green speed is, I add to it .5 percent for slower greens and not as much for faster greens but it also depends on how much fringe.  And because of that I have gone mostly back to flopping/pitching/chipping.  But it is also probably good to be able to situationally go back and forth between putting from the fringe to chipping and pitching  

I usually add 3 foot if there is not much fringe. A lot of fringe, I chip.

• PAGES
RSS