Forums

Help › Forums

Unplayable lie still an issue?

rated by 0 users
Fri, Apr 24 2020 3:28 PM (5 replies)
  • Henweigh
    3 Posts
    Wed, Apr 22 2020 10:30 PM

I've seen threads from 2014 and 2017 complaining about the absence of an unplayable lie option. I hit a tee shot today that landed up against a tree. In contact with the tree, as far as I can tell. I couldn't find an option to take a drop and penalty, so I had to keep swinging until I finally got the ball to bounce away from the tree. It took 4 or 5 swings. Does anyone know if there *is* an "Unplayable lie" option now, or has it still not been fixed?

• SamSpayed
    4,888 Posts
    Thu, Apr 23 2020 9:46 PM

No, there's no Unplayable Lie option.  In a situation like that, where your ball is up against a tree (or the wall of one of those pot bunkers on St. Andrews or RSG), your best bet is to aim backward or sideways and just use a pitch or punch to get the ball back in the fairway.

• borntobesting
    9,622 Posts
    Thu, Apr 23 2020 11:17 PM

If he was on Kiawah # 7 In the mulch against the tree even hitting backwards or sideways is impossible

• alosso
    21,032 Posts
    Fri, Apr 24 2020 3:05 AM

In general, there aren't any options for us players in the game, thus no drops.

Would be interesting which tree was meant. In some cases (I remember CCC) you can play the ball through the tree. In any case, you won't hurt your avatar or break a club.

Last resort would be to quit the round - not a big deal here!

• Henweigh
    3 Posts
    Fri, Apr 24 2020 3:17 PM

It was this tree on the right side of the fairway on #1 at Pebble Beach

• Henweigh
    3 Posts
    Fri, Apr 24 2020 3:28 PM

Yeah, I tried aiming backwards, sideways, etc. The only thing that eventually worked was to hit almost directly at the tree until the ball bounced far enough away to give me a clean swing. Then I was able to hit backwards and into the fairway. It seemed like the ball was actually lying in contact with the tree. The lack of an option to drop is a pretty annoying flaw, and would really be a problem in a tournament. But the game is free so I guess I can't complain too much. If I was looking to purchase a golf game, though, I think this would be a deal breaker.

RSS