Forums

Help › Forums

WGT is now available on Steam Early Access!

Tue, May 12 2020 11:50 AM (75 replies)
  • JimbeauC
    5,835 Posts
    Thu, Apr 16 2020 2:33 PM

BogeyOne:
    I have sent you a friend request for you to use to message me for more info about the game should you need it.

Accepted and thank you. Like I say, I may check it out once I 'm done here. Assuming they didn't mess it up, my game name there was same as here also. 

• Wutpa
    4,803 Posts
    Thu, Apr 16 2020 4:25 PM

BogeyOne:
    In regard to the graphics issue you mention, did you go to the SETTINGS and up the resolution? 

I have tried all resolution settings and none seem to improve things. The game play experience is somewhat jerky and stuttery too.

That said, I think my old PC just may not cut it. I only have onboard graphics rather than a dedicated GPU and I think that's below requirements for that game no matter how much I tweak the settings.

• genorb
    1,255 Posts
    Thu, Apr 16 2020 4:40 PM

YankeeJim:

kavvz:
    Tons of advantages to having it on a platform like Steam.

But what difference in game play is there? In other words, if one is not interested in those extras, what is the difference between the version we have now and the Steam version?

p.s., As an aside, wasn't there another game on Steam that was suppose to wreck WGT? :-D

There are maybe no differences between the Steam and the desktop versions (I didn't check in details) but what is sure is that those versions are quite different from the flash version running on browsers. Putting is completely different. The dots are moving much more slowly giving the wrong impression that the break is significantly less that it is. 

Why the dot speed has changed between the flash version and those versions (desktop and Steam versions) ?? Putting is one of the key points of this game. Changing the dot speed means that you need to relearn everything... Waste of time...

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Apr 16 2020 4:44 PM

BogeyOne:
    Jim, right off the bat go to the settings in the game and find the resolution settings which make the game work best for you

I realize you're talking to another Jim but I'm interested in what you're saying. First question is, are you a former Links player? Second question is, can you apply RL thinking with appropriate tools for stance and clubface adjustments like Links used to?

Everybody played uneven lies back then and I'm wondering if maybe the revised PP is a souped of version of that. That would rekindle the golf passion Links created.  :-)

• bubbsboy
    6,879 Posts
    Fri, Apr 17 2020 1:15 AM

TGC2019 lies affect and you can draw/fade Jim.

I'm sure PP is the same having watched an ex WGT lad playing it on his twitch a while back.

• kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Fri, Apr 17 2020 11:39 AM

Came across this in my CC today, but one thing people new to Steam might be surprised with is that a new account is considered limited, until a minimum of $5 is spent on Steam.

Google has details, but basically it's Valve's way of combating people creating millions of spam and phishing accounts.

If you've created a Steam account they figure if you're legit you're very likely or about to spend more than $5.  Historically anyway...

I can see it becoming an issue for WGT since the game is free.

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Fri, Apr 17 2020 2:12 PM

kavvz:

If you've created a Steam account they figure if you're legit you're very likely or about to spend more than $5.  Historically anyway...

I can see it becoming an issue for WGT since the game is free.

They know.

1,597 Posts
    02-25-2020 12:02 PM

Guys, it's still free to play. Free during Early Access, Free after Early Access.

Steam does have some rules where an account has to spend $5 to start using social features. I think the reason for that was to stop spam and troll accounts. 

WGT will still have an in-game friends list and all the same social features that can be found in the PCEA right now. 

_CHAMPION 

• BogeyOne
    1,961 Posts
    Fri, Apr 17 2020 3:43 PM

bubbsboy:

I'm sure PP is the same having watched an ex WGT lad playing it on his twitch a while back.

I draw and fade shots intentionally when the need arises on the Perfect Golf game with no problem at all. Just got to experiment with it to find out how much to use for the desired result.  I have to wonder just how many people have actually spent the money to get the game and then play it for more than one hour before they criticize the game. They go in thinking all their acquired knowledge of how to play WGT will apply to other golf games and quickly leave when they realize it does not. . .clearly out of their comfort zone when they play a golf game whose graphics are not based on stitched together post cards. Do yourselves and others a favor, just stay in WGT where all the little formula shots and compiled charts apply and if you think that is competing when you play others, you are only kidding yourselves.

• Dave33200
    2,932 Posts
    Fri, Apr 17 2020 3:49 PM

genorb:

There are maybe no differences between the Steam and the desktop versions (I didn't check in details) but what is sure is that those versions are quite different from the flash version running on browsers. Putting is completely different. The dots are moving much more slowly giving the wrong impression that the break is significantly less that it is. 

Why the dot speed has changed between the flash version and those versions (desktop and Steam versions) ?? Putting is one of the key points of this game. Changing the dot speed means that you need to relearn everything... Waste of time...

I think they did this to bring it more inline with the mobile version. The mobile & PCEA versions the green speed dots seem to move at the same speed for the same break. On the flash version they go much faster.

My thought is that sometime in the future they will let people play cross platform in h2h games. With flash going away, unless you can fine a browser that still loads flash after 2020, they wanted to bring the two platforms as one.

Just a guess. 

• bubbsboy
    6,879 Posts
    Fri, Apr 17 2020 4:01 PM

BogeyOne:

bubbsboy:

I draw and fade shots intentionally when the need arises on the Perfect Golf game with no problem at all. Just got to experiment with it to find out how much to use for the desired result.  I have to wonder just how many people have actually spent the money to get the game and then play it for more than one hour before they criticize the game. They go in thinking all their acquired knowledge of how to play WGT will apply to other golf games and quickly leave when they realize it does not. . .clearly out of their comfort zone when they play a golf game whose graphics are not based on stitched together post cards. Do yourselves and others a favor, just stay in WGT where all the little formula shots and compiled charts apply and if you think that is competing when you play others, you are only kidding yourselves.

+ 1

But I have some great friends in our club ( and some outside it) so I stick around but barely play this.

I didn't jump to TGC from here , it was illness and the need to cut back everything regarding our club that made me stop.

But I found a game where rankings and leagues are organised and all I have to do is play...albeit badly :-)

Joystick control and the planning  a bit more where to land my shots does it for me.

But there is of course a need for this also. It doesn't mean you can't play both.

I was vocal in past about the gimmicks in the mobile world and of course the clash.  So easy choice for me really.

RSS