Forums

Help › Forums

The thrifty newbie upgrade path - first wedges & woods

Fri, Dec 31 2021 2:51 PM (52 replies)
  • KennyDC70
    20 Posts
    Thu, Apr 9 2020 3:15 PM

ZirjoGondar:

The key is to space the wedges so that you don't have to go below 85% power or so.  You'll see less variation/more consistency with higher power levels.  The 90y punches 75/74(?).  You can squeeze 62 yards out of the 64° by applying topspin.  They mesh perfectly.  You can ignore the PW for now; the Vokey 90y is much more accurate.  When/if you get the L59 PINGs, the 90yd Vokey will fit perfectly with the PING PW, which goes 115y full and (about) 98y punched.  Use those punch shots liberally; they're like having an extra club.

Gotcha! I had already bought the 60 unfortunately (based on gaps/one line in Edward's guide), so this one isn't the cheapest lesson I've given myself here. Ah well. Am I better off keeping the 60° for later use, or selling it back for 300cr and eating the 895cr loss?

At the moment it feels like I need to go take some time and sit in the rough/bunkers/fairway on a hill and get the short shot distances and conditions memorized a bit better - I'm still hitting the rare chip in the rough a foot or 2 instead of 15 if I'm not paying attention and getting pars instead of birdies.

ZirjoGondar:
    Believe me, I know the urge to upgrade is strong.  When I started out, the free credit videos were unlimited.  So I went hog wild on club upgrades and even bought the PLUS membership to level up even faster.  You don't have that luxury.  But if you're at L39 after a week, you should get to L59 in about another 3 weeks.  It'll probably take you closer to a year before you get to the levels required to replace that whole PING set.  I would just tough it out with the starters for a few more weeks.  Concentrate on punching, pitching, chipping, and flopping those wedges (and putting) until then.  Youll be using those clubs for a lot longer than your current woods, and it will serve you better in the long run than getting 30 more yards out of your drives for 3 weeks.  The wedges and the putter impact your score much more than the woods.  But if you're comfortable with the cost, it won't hurt anything to buy a wood before then.  I was just thinking in terms of total cost efficiency over your first year.  I had forgotten about EasyEdward's guide that Sam mentioned.  He may have some different recommendations.  It's been over a year since I read it!

It really is- I'm regularly out-driven by 20-50 yards on H2H matches which is a bit frustrating, although I can often gain strokes back in the iron and short shots with good distance/spin selections. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little proud to be able to come to the green in the same number of strokes as players with much longer clubs, yet the feeling that I'm sometimes losing a stroke in the process remains. I should be L40 and partway to L41 tonight, roughly 1800 credits saved still (after both wedges). Not quite sure if that puts me in a comfortable position to buy a wood in-between (excl. the WGT Pro 9.5, which I may have to pair with a slower-meter ball, I may gather data for a few days/levels and see how something like the L44 Callaway Epic feels, both as per EasyEdward's guide (circa June 2019), although I do like the sound of the meter speed on the L59 Ping being close to my comfort level thus far. Yet, sticking it out for another week or 2 with the same clubs through L44 to 59 doesn't sound that bad at all.

Bolded is what I was very much hoping to hear, a solid jump in clubs that'll be enjoyable and last until I have more in the 'silly golf game' budget, to quote my wife.

ZirjoGondar:
    I recommended those balls because you mentioned meter speed might be a problem.  They both play about the same; the GI-S having a faster meter is the only difference.  TBH, I don't remember if they take a noticeable amount of spin from the starter clubs.  Try the ball Sam sent you with the new wedges to see if it's worth the cost.  You will definitely see an improvement in stopping power with them across the whole PING set.  If you can handle the speed of the starter ball for now, though, you could just roll with it until L59.

Not so much a problem with the starter meter speed (reflexes are still good, thankfully) as finding myself hitting it off-ding just enough to negate my careful target choices, moreso with short-medium wedge shots and putts that finish within a few inches of the cup. Still need to learn my regular misses, I know. The GI2-S, as I mentioned, is much easier to hit precisely in this range and actually felt too slow for a while. I'll try the GI-S and 10cr models next. So far I'm surprisingly hitting it only a little straighter over ~150yd (a bit of spin difference, not as much as with the Vokeys), but notably better closer-in and especially improved on putt strikes - I can miss to either side by a hair to work against a break with ok (IMO) reliability in comparison, but again this is probably down to more practice.

I've been experimenting a little with some of the apparel stat boosts as well for a +7% XP boost and what seems to be a pretty noticeable but not fully consistent 7-12 yard driver distance difference I still need to fully confirm. Some of the numbers are (probably intentionally) very difficult to try and quantify, but there seems to be something to it.. sometimes.

ZirjoGondar:
    Best of luck with whatever you decide, Kenny.  Obviously,  it's your call.  Most importantly, have fun with it.  I'm still learning after almost 14 months...and it's still a lot of fun.

Thanks Zirio, I really appreciate the thoughtful veteran input you fine folks have provided for a new player. I'll admit I downloaded this game on a whim but feel like I found something with an amazing amount of depth, detail, variability and mostly loads of fun that'll remain part of my downtime (or between-client-call) routine for a long time.

• KennyDC70
    20 Posts
    Thu, Apr 9 2020 7:20 PM

el3n1:
    Eventually people feel coins become relatively worthless, but it is something you can use coins for to help delay club purchases on items you would quickly replace.  Provided you have coins to spare.

Considering them really worthless is position/perspective I'd love to achieve, but for now it feels a tad more distant than even my future credit-funded upgrades somehow. I'm a little on the fence for coin rentals - I've got ~70k coins, but my win percentage being barely over half (mostly grinding away in 500-coin H2H matches with a sponsor active to level that up alongside) I'm not exactly gaining a lot per day or level (not 30-50k/week at least). I'm still a bit hesitant to enter the 'big' coin match rooms yet where that cost would be more easily covered.

el3n1:
    The L59 Ping set is the best overall value but I liked the L55 driver.  It remains one of my favorite and only started seeing it's limitations on the back tees and heavier wind conditions.

Having just rented the L40 version of the SIM (3.0 meter vs 4.5 of the L55), tried out on Kiawah Island hole 1 as a driving range, the meter speed with starter balls is a bit speedy but not as bad as I was expecting a 3.0 to be-  my misses didn't seem that much worse side-to-side than the starter driver on average, just another effortless ~35-50yd downrange. The L55 version with another 22 yards and a 4.5 meter speed sounds like a dream combination worth waiting on trying, from the sounds of it.

Alright, after having two of my three GI2-S balls (one half-used) veer a yard out of bounds on the same hole with at least 5 yards difference in target and a hair difference on the strike... I think I'll settle with the starter rocks for a little while, on any narrow courses and maybe until my driver aim in wind is a bit improved - it was almost a little heartbreaking, losing a new friend unexpectedly when we'd been getting on so well. Still, I think a sleeve of GI-S is a decent idea while I have the 3.0 meter L40 TM driver in the bag (same with the L44 Callaway if it's rentable then) to gain a bit of perspective on it with a slightly better ball than standard.

• Tony08888
    564 Posts
    Fri, Apr 10 2020 2:16 PM

Kenny -

You just joined this month, so I have to say kudos man. You already understand the direction you need to go to get better. Sounds like you are taking the time to research what’s out there and more importantly absorbing it. 

A lot of good advice already given. 

Welcome and enjoy the game!

• KennyDC70
    20 Posts
    Fri, Apr 10 2020 4:26 PM

Thanks Tony!

I'm approaching it like I do most things - learning from the best I can find, shoving my own ego aside, and grinding towards the agreeable objectives marked out earlier on at a pace I like/tolerate, which turns out to be pretty high in this case!

Today has been a grind of the <150yd game in practice mode, my short iron distance control is getting better, my wedges are starting to drop within a yard or two of where I'd like if I think about the shot carefully and my <6ft putts have more confidence already - it's the 10-15ft ones that are in gimmie range now instead. I'm learning to mis-hit it a bit on purpose to fight a light break. Not sure if it's going to remain as consistent as I'm seeing so far.

Just crossed into L44 (trying out the L44 Callaway Epic Flash, not half bad!) I predict most of the way/fully to to L45 by tonight (Friday), with the credit budget now pleasantly recovered from my earlier slightly wayward wedge purchase. On and upwards!

• el3n1
    4,494 Posts
    Fri, Apr 10 2020 4:42 PM

KennyDC70:
    I'm still a bit hesitant to enter the 'big' coin match rooms yet where that cost would be more easily covered.

smart choice... tap on the information - I - before doing so... right now in the lower stake coin rooms you still play off of default tee.  that helps you a little.  if you take a shot at higher stakes (10k and above) your forward tee goes away and you are hitting off the same tees.  better to wait until you get better clubs for that to avoid going bust.

• WahooSerious
    220 Posts
    Fri, Apr 10 2020 6:52 PM

This is great information for us beginners! How would you say the Vokey's compare to the PM Grind's? Are the Callaway's worth the extra 100 credits?

• KennyDC70
    20 Posts
    Fri, Apr 10 2020 7:55 PM

Missed this earlier:

When I started out, the free credit videos were unlimited.  So I went hog wild on club upgrades and even bought the PLUS membership to level up even faster.

Oh man... safe to say it's not quite that easy anymore (or I'd splurge as well), but I feel I'm doing alright with the current methods/limits for both XP and credits with enough to spare for some balls.

el3n1:

smart choice... tap on the information - I - before doing so... right now in the lower stake coin rooms you still play off of default tee.  that helps you a little.  if you take a shot at higher stakes (10k and above) your forward tee goes away and you are hitting off the same tees.  better to wait until you get better clubs for that to avoid going bust.

Thank you for that el3n1, I hadn't ventured to that little icon yet and had no idea. Prematurely running out is still a minor but fading worry, depending on how many coin games I find myself entering per level.

That L44 Callaway Epic Flash (recommended by Edward's guide mid 2019) with an alright meter speed of 3.7 and a current discount of 10% (for the next 22hrs) has me just a bit tempted. Yet, it's a little bit off from the 4.0 speeds in the Ping set that's coming up fairly quickly anyway (I'm thinking that matching strongly across the bag will make for a bit more consistency) and the Epic Flash has been replaced by the Mavrik on the market, which I take it means the Epic Flash may be available on discount in WGT when the Mavrik is updated in, leading me to waiting a bit longer either way.

• ZirjoGondar
    94 Posts
    Fri, Apr 10 2020 9:18 PM

KennyDC70:

Am I better off keeping the 60° for later use, or selling it back for 300cr and eating the 895cr loss?

Might as well use it, Kenny.  From here, you can go one of two frugal ways:

1. Get the L59 PING set, add the 56° Vokey, and sell back the PING hybrid.  Net cost = 5766cr.  The vast majority of players eventually dump the hybrid for a third wedge.  It's a good bet you'll come to the same conclusion.  The 3-irons generally go about the same distance, and you can also punch a 3-wood with topspin from less than 40/50 rough.

2. Follow el3n1's wood recommendations.  Get the L51 3-Wood, the L55 Driver, the L59 PING irons instead of the whole clubset, and the 56° Vokey.  Forget about the hybrid, as mentioned above.  If you get the chance to rent these clubs for free at L51, L55, and L59; you can buy them for 10% off during/after the rental period.  Net cost = 7168cr, assuming you get the free rentals.  The higher cost buys you 7 more yards for the Driver, and both woods have slower meters and much better forgiveness on mis-dings than the L58 PING woods.

• el3n1
    4,494 Posts
    Sat, Apr 11 2020 10:13 AM

KennyDC70:
    That L44

the ONLY clubs I considered below L51 were wedges... that's it... everything else you will end up quickly replacing... You are close enough to the other recommended clubs... just maximize your XP and given this weekend is an XP booster weekend, take advantage.

watch the video at the end of coin games, you don't get the 2 credits, but it does boost your XP earnings so decide which is important to you if the restrictions they impose limit how many videos you can watch.    

• GrindNGamble
    14 Posts
    Sat, Apr 11 2020 11:19 AM

el3n1:
    I waited until L51 for a 3wd,  L55 for a driver, and the L59 Ping irons.  I did so because I like the meter speeds of the driver and 3wd better and it allowed me to space out my purchases.  I don't regret any of those items.

How long did you have between reaching each of those levels? I'm coming up on these now and plan to use the 10% rental discount to buy what I plan on getting, but I'm not sure I'd have enough time between levels to earn enough free credits for all 3 items?

RSS