• PAGES
  • bobc10
    2 Posts
    Mon, Mar 23 2020 11:19 AM

How about a handicap system?

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Tue, Mar 24 2020 10:02 AM

Some CCs have them, in private. WGT wouldn't do it, if only to avoid licencing problems with USGA.

BTW, WGT's average is not too far from the USGA handicap system.

• DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Tue, Mar 24 2020 11:37 AM

bobc10:

Make one yourself, Bob. Its not hard and if you used that search box on the right side.

You can see what others have done.

• Tucazini
    4 Posts
    Mon, Feb 22 2021 3:33 AM

Handicaps are a terrible idea. No way to make inter tier play fair. Way too many paper Champions. I see so many guys that have 55 average and can not play at all. Anybody can shoot 55 with low wind and 10 greens.

• Robert1893
    7,650 Posts
    Mon, Feb 22 2021 7:55 AM

Tucazini:

Handicaps are a terrible idea. No way to make inter tier play fair. Way too many paper Champions. I see so many guys that have 55 average and can not play at all. Anybody can shoot 55 with low wind and 10 greens.

Wouldn't those be the players you would want to play? And because of their low averages, under a handicap system, they would be at even more of a disadvantage. They'd be lousy players and would have plus handicaps. 

I'm not seeing how what you write here is an argument against a handicap system. 

• BPeterson8256
    2,903 Posts
    Mon, Feb 22 2021 8:08 AM

bobc10:

The Simpatico Springs WGT Tour uses a handicap system based on the scores you post on Tour. You are more than welcome to join in this year long Tour available to all of WGT.

Brett

• Tucazini
    4 Posts
    Wed, Feb 24 2021 11:53 PM

These are the kind of players I want to Play? Are you crazy?  I want to Play the best quality  opponent possible  just as I want to Play the tough and challenging courses . See you have got it all backwards. The idea is to become the best player you can. Not to beat the easiest opponents and call  yourself a winner.

winning doesn't mean a thing if you didn't beat the best 

• Robert1893
    7,650 Posts
    Thu, Feb 25 2021 9:51 AM

Tucazini:
    Are you crazy?

Well, I think we all know the answer to that. Any cursory reading of my posts is enough to establish the answer to that question! Please, give me a difficult question.

Tucazini:
    See you have got it all backwards.

Similar to above, I'm sure that's the case.

Regardless, back to your post that stated: "Handicaps are a terrible idea. No way to make inter tier play fair. Way too many paper Champions."

Literally, I now have no idea what your point is with that post. Seriously. I am clueless; I am without clues. 

By the way, I thought the idea was to have fun. Of course. maybe (as usual) I'm being all crazy and have it backwards. Indeed, I can see it now at the memorial of those who can beat the best.

Frank... what a guy! Did you know he was the a great player of an online golf game who was capable of beating the "best"? What a winner! 

No! No way. Frank was? 

Yup! Great player. I even saw a replay of him in which he birdied No. 5 and No. 6 of Merion in the same round! Additionally, the pin for No. 5 was the back pin not the front one. Moreover, that was from the tips with championship greens.

Damn! Probably took a lot of playing and practice to attain that level of success. But, by golly, that's a life well-lived. 

• SamSpayed
    4,874 Posts
    Thu, Feb 25 2021 12:00 PM

Tucazini:
    Handicaps are a terrible idea. No way to make inter tier play fair.

The way to make a handicap system fair to everyone is to base the handicaps on recent scores rather than tier (or WGT average).  That's what Brett's SS Tour does.  And I know of one CC that calculates their handicaps based on your best X scores out of your Y most recent CC tournaments.

Tucazini:
    Way too many paper Champions. I see so many guys that have 55 average and can not play at all. Anybody can shoot 55 with low wind and 10 greens.

You're right... tier is not necessarily a good indicator of talent, nor is WGT average.  Both can easily be manipulated by less talented players to make themselves appear better than they actually are.

• Wutpa
    4,803 Posts
    Thu, Mar 4 2021 11:53 AM

SamSpayed:
    And I know of one CC that calculates their handicaps based on your best X scores out of your Y most recent CC tournaments.

Our club used to use a system that averaged your best 12 of the previous 15 CC tournament scores, but rather than looking at the round's stroke total (62, 59, 68 etc) it looked at how far above or below par the score was for the course being played. Then an average was created based on that.

Since last year it has been further refined to be course specific since scoring -10 on Merion might be deemed a different level of play than scoring -10 on Bethpage, for example. So the spreadsheet I created now averages the best 8 scores (+/- par) from the last 10 on each individual course for better accuracy.

• PAGES
RSS