Forums

Help › Forums

Corona Virus Message Millennials and All Should Read

Fri, Mar 20 2020 5:14 AM (36 replies)
  • TyMacni
    1,573 Posts
    Tue, Mar 17 2020 2:47 PM

Can we learn from history, or are we doomed to repeat it?

Below are excerpts. Read entire article at Why the Second Wave of the 1918 Spanish Flu Was So Deadly 

The first strain of the Spanish flu wasn’t particularly deadly. Then it came back in the fall with a vengeance.

The Spanish flu first appeared in early March 1918. The first wave of the virus wasn’t particularly deadly, with symptoms like high fever and malaise usually lasting only three days, and mortality rates were similar to seasonal flu.

Reported cases of Spanish flu dropped off over the summer of 1918, and there was hope at the beginning of August that the virus had run its course. In retrospect, it was only the calm before the storm. Somewhere in Europe, a mutated strain of the Spanish flu virus had emerged that had the power to kill a perfectly healthy young man or woman within 24 hours of showing the first signs of infection.

From September through November of 1918, the death rate from the Spanish flu skyrocketed. In the United States alone, 195,000 Americans died from the Spanish flu in just the month of October. And unlike a normal seasonal flu, which mostly claims victims among the very young and very old, the second wave of the Spanish flu exhibited what’s called a “W curve”—high numbers of deaths among the young and old, but also a huge spike in the middle composed of otherwise healthy 25- to 35-year-olds in the prime of their life.

“That really freaked out the medical establishment, that there was this atypical spike in the middle of the W,” says   James Harris, a historian at Ohio State University who studies both infectious disease and World War I

Not only was it shocking that healthy young men and women were dying by the millions worldwide, but it was also how they were dying. Struck with blistering fevers, nasal hemorrhaging and pneumonia, the patients would drown in their own fluid-filled lungs.

• callaghan159
    6,214 Posts
    Tue, Mar 17 2020 4:23 PM

Heard of this flu, but knew nothing of it. Interesting read.

• arnken
    4,056 Posts
    Tue, Mar 17 2020 4:34 PM

Hey! This is a REAL BAD Virus and i'd like to wish all member luck thru this and stop panic buying, its Dumb, just take all precautions, the main one is keep washing ya hands, hope everyone still with us after this

ken

• BOZskills
    388 Posts
    Tue, Mar 17 2020 6:56 PM

Ty,i was very interesed in reading your research on the 1918 spanish flu outbreak,as it contained alot of info i didn't know. I'd like to add this to your reseach. St. Louis cancelled all of it's public events during the outbreak,in Philly they held a parade. Deaths spiked! In St. Louis the curve remained low. Also history repeating it's self?

• JDGHOST
    6,748 Posts
    Tue, Mar 17 2020 8:06 PM

The difference in medical advancement between 1918 and now are almost incomprehensible .....That along with the fact that people die and get sick from just influenza EVERY year... The numbers of deaths are in the 10 thousand's annually  with hospitalizations in the millions worldwide ....

But now we are one step away from Marshall law??  Everything in the US is shutting down ...The economic downfall from this will be devastating !! The fluctuation in the stock market alone is scary to say the least ...But don't be fooled "Money goes to Money" And Big money is capitalizing on all this right now! My roommate has stock in the company she works for (not much just what they give the employees) But that stock was at 24.07 at 12pm est then following a speech by the President telling us "all will be ok" that same stock was at 33.00 at 4pm Hmmmm...Of course he then back tracked on his earlier statement a day or 2 later and Boom another fall in the market ..."Just saying"

My point being... something smells very very fishy with this whole thing !!!

As the sarcastic Dr Malcolm once said....."Life will find a way" ....Oh and what the heck is the toilet paper deal?? Boy the good people at Charmin and Scott's are laughing all the way to the bank..

JD    

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,468 Posts
    Tue, Mar 17 2020 8:20 PM

TyMacni:
    Not only was it shocking that healthy young men and women were dying by the millions worldwide, but it was also how they were dying. Struck with blistering fevers, nasal hemorrhaging and pneumonia, the patients would drown in their own fluid-filled lungs.

It's disturbingly terrifying just reading it.

• dedBuNNy
    1,919 Posts
    Tue, Mar 17 2020 9:23 PM

You're better off reading this (link) and checking some of the citations if you want to get som useful perspective on the current virus and what's happening.

There was a good piece written by a respiratory consultant who works at a hospital in the UK, checking CT results of suspected cases and confirming a diagnosis. 

What's going around is not to be taken lightly, in his words; it's not being taken nearly seriously enough. Something he wrote that was somewhat unsettling, this virus is 3x more infectious and 10x more lethal than the seasonal flu. The whole piece he wrote is friggin' the scariest thing I've read. It paints a picture of what front-line hospitals are dealing with and preparing for - Chaos. 

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/6/20-0251_article

• brianmartin56
    781 Posts
    Wed, Mar 18 2020 2:14 AM

JDGHOST:
    My point being... something smells very very fishy with this whole thing !!!

Totally agree JD

Brian

• DirtyDuffer
    876 Posts
    Wed, Mar 18 2020 2:40 AM

The only thing that smells at this point is ignorance. I live in NY. Y’all may not like what Cuomo and Co are doing, but it’s the prudent thing to do at this point. 

Be Safe Be Smart & Be Well Please! 

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Wed, Mar 18 2020 7:14 AM

Well what we do know is that this thing originated in association with a wet market, and it's not the first time it's happened.

Perhaps we might, as a race, decide that torturing animals from every corner of the earth in one place before eating or generally just abusing may cause nature to bite back.  On any level some controls over that would not go amiss.

For sure this thing mutating can't be ruled out.  The potential consequence of that hardly bears thinking about.  But fortunately it going even more rogue in a way that 2020 medicine can't help much with is extremely unlikely, at least symptom wise.  Actual viral route cause wise it's different for the forseeable future until that vaccine is out.  

Good news immediatey is that globally our rudimentary defences are showing good signs of working.  Sadly people will still leave before their time and this thing is particularly nasty to any at risk groups if they do get it..

In the immediate interim be smart, take the advice as it's obviously sensible, and the vast majority of us will be fine.

Initially I was very annoyed it stuffed up my travel plans, but now I am finding that simple things like still breathing and appreciating life mean so much more than I gave them credit for.

Cheers:)

RSS