Forums

Help › Forums

putter comparison

Wed, Aug 26 2020 7:29 AM (20 replies)
  • 1Grandpa1
    7 Posts
    Sat, Mar 14 2020 8:35 PM

Have level 70 Versa and level 98 Scotty Cameron Phantom and am an off ding putter....looking for input which of these are the most consistant, accurate putters

• GedEButler
    53 Posts
    Mon, Mar 16 2020 4:31 AM

Grandpa..  pick the one that has the more comfortable meter increments for you, and get comfortable with it..  consistency and accuracy will follow. Spend some time on the putting green with both clubs, and the choice may reveal itself to you~~

• ander101
    390 Posts
    Mon, Mar 16 2020 11:11 AM

Ged's advice is a good one, be comfortable with the increments, i prefer 10-20-50 etc. i too am an off-dinger putter, it's just the way i started & it would be hard to change, as far as putter stats., i have had Nike Method, precision of 4.0 and forgiveness of 3.5 ,which i believe to be the best off-ding putter yet & wish i still had it, but sometimes mistakes are made, i have tried both the Titlest S. Cameron Phantom X6 L98, TM Spider X L94, but now end-up using the TM Spider X L77 with precision of 4.0, forgiveness 3.5.

From what i have experienced Putters with higher numbers of precision and Forgiveness seem to work better for the top putters such as fmags, young 46 and Tekoma that calculate the putt to be made and the move the marker to a certain spot L or R of pin to make there putt.

Off dinger's most often leave the marker on the pin then hit left or right of the ding mark to compensate for the break of the putt.  

St. A's is a good course to start testing putters.

• SlickHunter
    1,034 Posts
    Tue, Mar 17 2020 2:02 AM

I’m an off ding putter, on drives and on approach. I’ve used all top end putters, and all got got rid of them, and settle for the Scotty Cameron. I chose this putter, it’s not because it makes me putt any better, it’s because I like the looks of it. Any putter would work, it’s the way we putt that need work.

• GedEButler
    53 Posts
    Sat, Mar 21 2020 4:03 AM

You have a good point Slick- I have rented, and tried a few of the higher end putters, hoping for a magic bullet to drain some birdies, but none of them did.  So- still hanging on to my L30 TM Ghost Manta, and it still feels pretty good.  The trick lies in reading all the variables of any given green, this seems to be the hard part..  there are some good vids out there on putting skills.  Plus- a great approach shot helps a lot!!~~

• pmm711
    5,515 Posts
    Sun, Mar 22 2020 2:16 AM

Boy the water is cold.  Yeah, and it's deep too. ;-/

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,502 Posts
    Sun, Mar 22 2020 2:51 AM

SlickHunter:
    ...and settle for the Scotty Cameron. I chose this putter, it’s not because it makes me putt any better, it’s because I like the looks of it.

Looks like a Ping's iconic Anser Putter, only more sophisticated. :-)

I think I understand what you mean though. IRL golf, I've learned how to putt with Ping B60 Putter since the beginning. There are hundreds and thousands of "better" putters out there in the market, but that is the one I always feel comfortable with. Ah, that butt-shape end when looking down... what a tranquilizer!

• alosso
    21,037 Posts
    Sun, Mar 22 2020 4:23 AM

You might consider to become a ding putter - that's the most consistant and accurate thing.

IMHO, there are slopes too grave for reasonable off-ding play.

• Tigerpaw509
    1,285 Posts
    Sun, Mar 22 2020 6:36 AM

Funny how on some very shot putts with very little slope you can off ding 95% of the meter and ball still goes straight but miss ding by a pixel the wrong way and the ball seems to be pushed away.

• borntobesting
    9,623 Posts
    Sun, Mar 22 2020 6:43 AM

I have had many putters in my life. Love the one I have now. Don’t know if any of you have ever heard of it. It is called Hammy. My one Scotty Cameron is somewhere deep in the woods behind # 16 @ Ben Hawes Golf course. 

As for here if anyone has had both the Scotty Cameron Phantom and the Odyssey Sabertooth is the Scotty Cameron easier to hit the ding? They have identical stats. The main problem I have with the Sabertooth is hitting the ding with any kind of frequency. I'm late one putt then early the next, 

RSS