Forums

Help › Forums

Link a spreadsheet to Club Forum

rated by 0 users
Sun, Mar 1 2020 10:32 AM (7 replies)
  • gufygolpher
    776 Posts
    Wed, Feb 26 2020 2:14 PM

Is it possible to link a spreadsheet (Google sheets ) to aClub Forum so that changes in the spreadsheet are automatically updated in the Forum. and if so how

Brian

• TopShelf2010
    10,880 Posts
    Thu, Feb 27 2020 3:25 PM

• JimbeauC
    5,835 Posts
    Fri, Feb 28 2020 12:07 PM

TopShelf2010:
    posting a link

I could be wrong, but I think he's looking for a way for the spreadsheet to be seen on the actual forum page. This would require some sort of routine run against the sheet to update a graphic stored elsewhere. 

Since google docs/sheets don't support macros, it would probably have to be written in Java script. I once used a wysiwyg java editor. I think it would be too basic for this purpose. Anyway, I can't for the life of me recall what it was called. 

• TopShelf2010
    10,880 Posts
    Fri, Feb 28 2020 12:09 PM

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Feb 28 2020 1:58 PM

gufygolpher:

Is it possible to link a spreadsheet (Google sheets ) to aClub Forum so that changes in the spreadsheet are automatically updated in the Forum. and if so how

Brian

That requires something I don't know about but I have a way to get them in there-copy and pasting spread sheets works well in a forum.

• Highlight your spread sheet, right click and select Copy.
    • Go to your post and right click on it to Paste the sheet.
    • Each time you update your sheet, copy it
    • Edit your post and delete the existing sheet
    • Right click and paste your updated one.
    If you bookmark your thread you can get to it from your Bookmarks bar rather than trek to the forum to look for it. It goes pretty quick once you get the hang of it.  :-)

• Wutpa
    4,803 Posts
    Sat, Feb 29 2020 8:34 AM

gufygolpher:

If you are talking about embedding a spreadsheet in a forum post in the same way you can in a web page then....no. I've tried that and WGT doesn't allow it, you just get an error message.

So I created a website for our club's season, which contains a different page for each tournament and the relevant spreadsheet embedded in the relevant page. I then include a link to that page in the forum post about the tournament, which is the best way I can find to do it.

Here's an example (click the link below):

• gufygolpher
    776 Posts
    Sat, Feb 29 2020 9:10 AM

Thanks to all who responded. I really like the reply from Wutpa =- what a great idea but I assume very time consuming to set up and to maintain. 

I think I will stick to Google Sheets and link, in our forum to that sheet.

Again, thanks to all.

• Wutpa
    4,803 Posts
    Sun, Mar 1 2020 10:32 AM

gufygolpher:

Thanks to all who responded. I really like the reply from Wutpa =- what a great idea but I assume very time consuming to set up and to maintain. 

I think I will stick to Google Sheets and link, in our forum to that sheet.

Again, thanks to all.

Thanks for the kind words gufygolpher.

It did take a bit of time to set up the website ahead of time it's true, although that was largely because of all the bells and whistles I added. Most people would find all that stuff unnecessary.

I used Google Sheets for the embedding, and once the web pages are built it is self-managing as it automatically updates when there are changes made to the sheets.

RSS