Forums

Help › Forums

WGT is coming to Steam Early Access! *UPDATED*

Sat, Jul 9 2022 5:35 AM (113 replies)
  • DRAGONFIRESr
    229 Posts
    Wed, Mar 11 2020 7:24 AM

dedBuNNy:

There is one aspect that no one has mentioned.

When you play games on Steam, you log in with your Steam account. This is how you access your games, there are no other log in credentials required. I've never had to use any other credentials for any of the games I own and play in over 10 years. 

You create 'player or user names' in games obviously, but that game is linked to your Steam account, the player name doesn't matter, it's just linked to your account.

If I open WGT in Steam, is it going to take me to the game log in screen? It can't. That won't work with Steam awards and such, those are tied into your Steam account. There's no association on WGT with my Steam credentials so there's no way to link the login with my Steam account. 

You won't be able to launch the game outside of Steam, it won't work.  If I go into the 'steam apps' folder for Steam on my computer and try and run a game .exe I will get an error telling me that 'Steam needs to be running'... WGT/TG can't have two versions of the game available for play, the Steam version will be the only one you can use and it has to be launched from within Steam.

So how is WGT going to keep a linked association between the existing accounts at WGT and Steam accounts? 

I'm sure they've thought about this issue, Steam has ways to link games through other platforms, Twitch, Discord etc.... I've just never seen WGT post anything about this anywhere, if they have and addressed it, just ignore this and delete the post.

If not, can anyone at WGT comment on the subject?

It is entirely possible to play some games through steam, or play them with steam out of the loop, and switch back and forth as you may want.

I play War thunder, and like WGT, it is a free to play game, was a successful stand alone game that moved to steam a few years back.

You can still download it from the WT site directly, or from steam, and can launch it from the steam folder, with steam shut down.

It still retains its unique player login, with or without steam running.

When WT started on Steam, they did offer some "steam only" packages you could buy via steam, but those packages are still usable in game, regardless of steam running or not.

I have little doubt WGT will play more along these lines, than the steam only option.

It makes no sense to cut off the non steam player base needlessly!

For the most part, steam is nothing more than a digital version of game stop.

• WGTChampion
    1,891 Posts
    Wed, Mar 11 2020 5:07 PM

Due to unforeseen circumstances outside of our control, we will not be releasing on steam tomorrow. This is absolutely heartbreaking to our team who have put forward an incredible effort to have the release ready on time.

We will still be holding our original plan of putting up our new update tomorrow for the PCEA version which will include Alt Shot and skins. 

Thank you for understanding. 

_CHAMPION 

• dedBuNNy
    1,919 Posts
    Wed, Mar 11 2020 5:08 PM

I can think of one reason WGT won't want this game running outside of Steam.

I'm gonna wait and see what they do though... If they allow the game to be run outside of Steam as well as from within?  Well... If you think the topic of 'cheats' gets ridiculous now... 

• Ladychipper
    22,680 Posts
    Wed, Mar 11 2020 5:16 PM

Sounds good Champ.  Will we have a choice as to still using this PCEA version or the steam version when steam is completed? 

• jacktrade51
    10,890 Posts
    Wed, Mar 11 2020 5:58 PM

WGTChampion:

Due to unforeseen circumstances outside of our control, we will not be releasing on steam tomorrow. This is absolutely heartbreaking to our team who have put forward an incredible effort to have the release ready on time.

We will still be holding our original plan of putting up our new update tomorrow for the PCEA version which will include Alt Shot and skins. 

Thank you for understanding. 

_CHAMPION 

You guys don't get it.  You have multi million players going back years.  Most of are not and prefer not to be computer literate.

Whatever transition you do ...it has to be simple and easy for us old guys, are at least explained simply and easily.

I tried to download the new WGT access … it refused, and I have a high end PC.

I was a high end bridge player 15 years ago in an on-line game. MS made the format incompatible.  The owners said they had a work around.  It did not work.  I quit.  And the league cratered. Get this right or you are going to collapse on members.

EXPLAIN IT or I suspect a lot of guys will quit.

Tom.

• dedBuNNy
    1,919 Posts
    Wed, Mar 11 2020 6:49 PM

jacktrade51:

You have multi million players going back years...

....it has to be simple and easy for us old guys....

No longer the demographic man, not even remotely. That's not being insulting or anything, it's just so very obvious. 

Game-Stop Gawd! there's a horrifying name from the past! That's one thing Steam is not that's for sure... LoL

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Mar 12 2020 5:31 AM

jacktrade51:
    I was a high end bridge player 15 years ago in an on-line game.

Bridge Base Online.  :-)

• Matrix3381
    85 Posts
    Tue, Mar 17 2020 3:31 PM

YankeeJim:

jacktrade51:
    I was a high end bridge player 15 years ago in an on-line game.

Bridge Base Online.  :-)

With only 14K players left, wondering how they are surviving after everyone left. WGT I think he is on to something with his past posts.

• NannySkeksis
    8 Posts
    Fri, Mar 20 2020 9:10 PM

jacktrade51:
    it refused, and I have a high end PC.

Remember, early access is beta testing. I don't know why you can't install it (is it high-end hardware but dead-end software like Windows 8.0?), but if they wanted everyone on the new app, they'd be announcing support for Facebook login instead of Steam. My guess is that instead of a limited beta, they did a public beta, and limited it by keeping a million Facebook users out.

I'm not concerned yet. It's a little over 9 months before browsers drop Flash, and I think WGT can get a mostly-working game to fully-working by the time the Coronavirus baby boom starts.

• MGB01
    1,469 Posts
    Mon, Apr 13 2020 6:08 AM
    steam says wgt is available in 5 hours from now.....?
RSS