Forums

Help › Forums

WGT is coming to Steam Early Access! *UPDATED*

Sat, Jul 9 2022 5:35 AM (113 replies)
  • daveparr
    1,175 Posts
    Sun, Mar 1 2020 9:49 AM

The wgt Early Access download that l am useing now will this connection still work once wgt is Runing on Steam ?

• dedBuNNy
    1,919 Posts
    Mon, Mar 2 2020 8:28 PM

No - Steam is a launching platform, games offered on Steam require it to be running, you start the game from your library or other links you set up within Steam. 

You're just accessing the game differently, apart from Steam running, you shouldn't notice anything different, I mean other than things WGT has added or changed/improved etc for the new version. 

• Ladychipper
    22,628 Posts
    Wed, Mar 4 2020 1:01 PM

Or great, why can't you just find an alternative to Flash Player and keep everything the way it has been for years??

• BogeyOne
    1,961 Posts
    Wed, Mar 4 2020 1:57 PM

Ladychipper:

Or great, why can't you just find an alternative to Flash Player and keep everything the way it has been for years??

• dedBuNNy
    1,919 Posts
    Wed, Mar 4 2020 7:10 PM

Ladychipper:

TG/WGT would simply have to make available versions of Flash enabled browsers for players to download and use or create their own based on one of the available frameworks/API's. Just remove the update feature and there you go. 

They'd also have to keep the servers online.

If you're simply using the browser to play the game, the odds of actually encountering any security issues are pretty well nil. 

The major roadblock to doing that is the use of your account. You'd have to play one or the other, you could not jump back and forth from the Steam game to the browser game. I imagine that would create issues with the way Steam keeps track of your awards and such and other details. I could be wrong, but I don't think you could do that.

• h2ok9
    48 Posts
    Fri, Mar 6 2020 1:59 AM

In my own a pinon after playing the new version of WGT in its standalone floormat for about a week now, I would give the new version an overall score of 3 and the older version an overall score of 9. As I said that this is an OVERALL score on everything about the two games and if they do away with the older version of WGT without bringing over everything that makes it a better game than the newer version, then I truly believe that they have missed the green and got into the water on the third shot of a par three hole !!!!!

• JimbeauC
    5,835 Posts
    Fri, Mar 6 2020 8:52 AM

dedBuNNy:
    You won't be able to launch the game outside of Steam

Not necessarily. I have another game that is in two versions, Steam and GOG. It's a very old game that allows multi-play via IP. Most play by getting together on Discord. I don't have the Steam version and have no clue how that works. 

So WGT could have it available in two arenas. Whether they choose to do so is yet to be seen. 

• WGTChampion
    1,891 Posts
    Fri, Mar 6 2020 9:01 AM

h2ok9:

In my own a pinon after playing the new version of WGT in its standalone floormat for about a week now, I would give the new version an overall score of 3 and the older version an overall score of 9. As I said that this is an OVERALL score on everything about the two games and if they do away with the older version of WGT without bringing over everything that makes it a better game than the newer version, then I truly believe that they have missed the green and got into the water on the third shot of a par three hole !!!!!

Give us your full review of the new game so far. 

_CHAMPION 

• dedBuNNy
    1,919 Posts
    Fri, Mar 6 2020 10:09 AM

JimbeauC:

dedBuNNy:
    You won't be able to launch the game outside of Steam

Not necessarily. I have another game that is in two versions, Steam and GOG. It's a very old game that allows multi-play via IP. Most play by getting together on Discord. I don't have the Steam version and have no clue how that works. 

So WGT could have it available in two arenas. Whether they choose to do so is yet to be seen. 

GOG is another launcher platform, so sure WGT could make the game available from different 'launchers'.

Steam is just one of many, but what I was saying is that the Flash game isn't available on any platform and wouldn't be so as far as starting the game outside of Steam or something else, you would probably experience account related issues somewhere along the line. 

WGT would have to make the PC Steam game totally separate in every way from the Flash game and those accounts I would imagine, I can see where there would be conflicts for sure.

• Wutpa
    4,803 Posts
    Fri, Mar 6 2020 10:49 AM

WGTChampion:

h2ok9:

Give us your full review of the new game so far. 

_CHAMPION 

Hey Champion, I know you didn’t ask me but while you’re waiting for a response from h2ok9 I’ll give you my review, broken down into likes and dislikes.

Avatar swing movements more lifelike.

The heartbeat/flashing screen for close shots is enjoyable.

The closer view of the cup when putting (reverse cam) is helpful.

The chat box allows continued typing between shots and holes.

The invite system from PCEA to PCEA is faster.

Screen transitions/loading is faster and smoother.

Dislikes:

Avatar design/appearance is less realistic and distractingly out-of-place with the photorealistic course backgrounds. The same is true of the balls and flags.

The marker showing when the ball is temporarily beyond the border of the screen.

The ball seems disproportionately large when in flight, almost like it’s an inflatable one.

The distance marker/sign that sits in the cup on the greens is way too large, particularly when using reverse cam for putting. It blocks a large area of the green and makes seeing the break much harder.

The menu design is cluttered and requires more clicks to get to regular play (for those used to the flash version). Clicking ‘Play Now’ takes you straight to coin room options instead of game/match setups as flash players are used to. Personally, since coin rooms don’t interest me this is less desirable and an annoyance.

Getting the optimum screen resolution can be fiddly, and the widescreen aspect means some detail is cut off the top of the screen – particularly important when it is overhanging branches at Olympic for example.

That may seem like more dislikes than likes but overall I am enjoying playing on the PCEA version and have been using it exclusively since mid-January. There are other things I could have added but I did not include stuff that I expect to be added or improved as you add updates, such as multiplayer game play options, better cross-platform invites etc. Also the putting differences have taken quite a bit of practice for me to adjust to, but I don't see that as being good or bad, just different.

So these are just my ragged and incomplete thoughts. Other players' experiences will inevitably differ greatly, but playing it consistently over the course of a few weeks is, I believe, important in order to form a rounded opinion rather than a relatively thin and reactionary one.

Nigel.

RSS