Forums

Help › Forums

WGT is coming to Steam Early Access! *UPDATED*

Sat, Jul 9 2022 5:35 AM (113 replies)
  • garyk49
    2,311 Posts
    Mon, Feb 24 2020 3:23 PM

Just as a matter of precaution, as I have seen this happen before.  It says on the Steam site, early access.  My advice would be to download it from steam as the early access.  Once it goes fully to them, I say again, MAYBE, those that get it later then sooner may find themselfs paying for it.

I have both games that I have purchased elsewhere and loaded onto steam, games purchased on steam, and games that were downloaded for FREE from steam.  This also applies to the 2 other I belong to(Origin, which is EA, and UPlay)  Keep your eyes open and pay attention.  At some point in time it's possible that if you want a new course, again MAYBE, you can add it, with a purchase.

• peoch
    1,127 Posts
    Mon, Feb 24 2020 3:53 PM

The new  game looks like a carton game.

• Wutpa
    4,803 Posts
    Mon, Feb 24 2020 4:31 PM

peoch:
    The new  game looks like a carton game.

I think you mean 'cartoon' rather than carton, but either way I do not fully agree.

To my eyes the courses themselves look much like they have always done, which is excellent. However the moveable parts on top of that (avatar, clubs, balls, flag/pin) leave much to be desired. The latter can distract from the former, but I am getting used to it.

Nigel.

• WGTChampion
    1,891 Posts
    Tue, Feb 25 2020 12:02 PM

Guys, it's still free to play. Free during Early Access, Free after Early Access.

Steam does have some rules where an account has to spend $5 to start using social features. I think the reason for that was to stop spam and troll accounts. 

WGT will still have an in-game friends list and all the same social features that can be found in the PCEA right now. 

_CHAMPION 

• TopShelf2010
    10,879 Posts
    Tue, Feb 25 2020 12:05 PM

• dedBuNNy
    1,919 Posts
    Tue, Feb 25 2020 12:36 PM

There is one aspect that no one has mentioned.

When you play games on Steam, you log in with your Steam account. This is how you access your games, there are no other log in credentials required. I've never had to use any other credentials for any of the games I own and play in over 10 years. 

You create 'player or user names' in games obviously, but that game is linked to your Steam account, the player name doesn't matter, it's just linked to your account.

If I open WGT in Steam, is it going to take me to the game log in screen? It can't. That won't work with Steam awards and such, those are tied into your Steam account. There's no association on WGT with my Steam credentials so there's no way to link the login with my Steam account. 

You won't be able to launch the game outside of Steam, it won't work.  If I go into the 'steam apps' folder for Steam on my computer and try and run a game .exe I will get an error telling me that 'Steam needs to be running'... WGT/TG can't have two versions of the game available for play, the Steam version will be the only one you can use and it has to be launched from within Steam.

So how is WGT going to keep a linked association between the existing accounts at WGT and Steam accounts? 

I'm sure they've thought about this issue, Steam has ways to link games through other platforms, Twitch, Discord etc.... I've just never seen WGT post anything about this anywhere, if they have and addressed it, just ignore this and delete the post.

If not, can anyone at WGT comment on the subject? 

• BogeyOne
    1,961 Posts
    Tue, Feb 25 2020 1:25 PM

I am hoping and have fingers crossed that it will be available to play on Linux systems using Steam Play. Steam Play is a feature of Steam that allows some operating systems not listed among those accepted for a game to play the game anyway.  In preparation for that not happening, I have started playing Jack Nicklaus Perfect Golf game again (which does run on Linux) which I purchased about 5 years ago. Yep, it still plays and there have been vast improvements to the game, including lots of new courses and the dumping of that frumpy butt looking player for a nice new and clean look.

The game also allows you to put your local weather on the course along with the real time of day lighting for your location.  Yes, the rain does fall if it is raining where you are.  How about that.

• garyk49
    2,311 Posts
    Wed, Feb 26 2020 7:03 AM

dedBuNNy:

When you play games on Steam, you log in with your Steam account. This is how you access your games, there are no other log in credentials required. I've never had to use any other credentials for any of the games I own and play in over 10 years. 

You create 'player or user names' in games obviously, but that game is linked to your Steam account, the player name doesn't matter, it's just linked to your account.

If I open WGT in Steam, is it going to take me to the game log in screen? It can't. That won't work with Steam awards and such, those are tied into your Steam account. There's no association on WGT with my Steam credentials so there's no way to link the login with my Steam account. 

You won't be able to launch the game outside of Steam, it won't work.  If I go into the 'steam apps' folder for Steam on my computer and try and run a game .exe I will get an error telling me that 'Steam needs to be running'... WGT/TG can't have two versions of the game available for play, the Steam version will be the only one you can use and it has to be launched from within Steam.

So how is WGT going to keep a linked association between the existing accounts at WGT and Steam accounts? 

I'm sure they've thought about this issue, Steam has ways to link games through other platforms, Twitch, Discord etc.... I've just never seen WGT post anything about this anywhere, if they have and addressed it, just ignore this and delete the post.

The only place I can think of is, some of the battlefield games require you to log in to battlelog.  Which also gets stored on your computer.

Correct, I do believe the current launcher we have on our computers now, won't work, without the steam account.  What is there now might become the desktop shortcut.  Maybe the flash version could possibly still work as only flash files are stored local, along with a some cookies, and temps.

As I said earlier, people are in for a different experience.  Wait until they try to move a game and have it still work.  Is your hard drive almost full, better find the instructions if you want to keep the game working.

As far as accounts are concerned, I don't think for me anyway, that it is going to be a problem.  Both here and on Steam I have the same user name.  With 1 exception that I can think of, if you see my user almost anywhere, it is probably me.  I have had this user since 1999.

Don't know is people have noticed, but the current launcher game(PCEA) in some cases brings you back to this website.  Unsure of mobile as I don't use it.  Had it for awhile, then dumped it from the phone, saw no use for it.

• kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Wed, Feb 26 2020 11:40 AM

dedBuNNy:

I think they'll figure it out Bunny.

Recently, Paradox Interactive stuck their own login in front of their game (Cities: Skylines) that used to run just by being logged into Steam.  

So there are ways to login twice.

• dedBuNNy
    1,919 Posts
    Wed, Feb 26 2020 2:13 PM

kavvz:

I think they'll figure it out Bunny.

Ya I figured there would be some option on that, just hadn't seen anyone ask about it or seen a post from them on the topic..

There are some 'anti hax' or league logins which can be optional, they don't tie in with your Steam account though - If Paradox has something along that lines and it links up with your Steam user account for collecting awards etc then cool... 

RSS