Forums

Help › Forums

Average Score Jump

rated by 0 users
Fri, Feb 21 2020 2:44 PM (5 replies)
  • PRG1968
    3 Posts
    Thu, Feb 20 2020 12:38 PM

No one has ever been able to help me understand why my handicap rocketed after one bad round. I've been a WGT Member for a long time and ground away over the years and got my avg to 60.92. I eventually make the jump to Legend status and played a tournament round at Kiawah in 20-22 MPH winds and had a shocker. First time off back tees and horrible wind, I shot 75. The round finished and my average said 75, I looked again yep, 75 and I've been working it back down again ever since. To me that's absolute nonsense and surely a glitch.

Can anyone help? WGT have never answered satisfactorily.

• Rabbit274
    1,178 Posts
    Thu, Feb 20 2020 1:19 PM

It's the same for everyone. When you advance to a higher tier, your original average goes onto the scrap heap. The first score you make in your new tier becomes your average (as you have found out).

A few decent rounds will see your average come down quite quickly.

• TopShelf2010
    10,880 Posts
    Thu, Feb 20 2020 1:20 PM

• MarchieB
    1,525 Posts
    Thu, Feb 20 2020 1:48 PM

Both Rabbit and Don have basically given you the answer, but just to expand a bit and explain.

• At any given time your AVG is only based on RR's that you have played at your current tier.
    • When you Tier up your AVG basically starts being recalculated from 0.00 again and all your previous scores are thrown out.
    • Your first round after tiering up sets the new AVG because it is the only score in your current AVG calculation at that point.
    • The reason for this is because in order to tier up you must play X # of Ranked Rounds at your current tier and your AVG must be at a certain # based on only rounds at your current tier.
  • Robert1893
    7,664 Posts
    Thu, Feb 20 2020 5:31 PM

And just to add one more clarification. It's an average and not a handicap. One's handicap number, which is not calculated by WGT, is a totally different number. 

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Fri, Feb 21 2020 2:44 PM

PRG1968:
    Can anyone help? WGT have never answered satisfactorily.

I find this weird, it happened over six months ago, since then it looks like you've played mostly alt with only a handful of ranked rounds in the last three months. You know the answer to how the average works as you complain about it on your blog.

The average you have now is a real one from all your Legend scores, the 60.92 was saturated so didn't include the worst of your TL scores.  I don't mean to tell you how to play but dropping your average will need more ranked rounds.

RSS