Forums

Help › Forums

Will WGT website be remained after the end of flash?

Sun, Feb 23 2020 2:26 PM (23 replies)
  • SimonTheBeetle
    3,497 Posts
    Tue, Feb 18 2020 6:41 PM

I was briefly talking about this with a friend of mine and thought why not asking it directly to WGT in a public way here in the forums.

Will the WGT website be remained and maintained as usual after the flash is gone by the end of this year?

If so, what will replace the flash? HTML5? There are quite lots of areas that work under Adobe Flash Player in this website.

This is more of a suggestion rather than a question... IMO it would be very helpful and useful for new players especially if you consider placing a link of MY PROFILE and/or FORUMS on the main screen of mobile/PCEA in your next UI/UX design update. Many mobile players don't even know the existence of WGT website because it is not properly associated. I mean, those who first experience WGT from mobile can't possibly have any clue of this website unless they're willing to find out more about the game since there is no related information anywhere in the app, except for that CC forum link. (Even that link is somewhat hidden deep in the menu.)

Any reply from WGT staff will be highly appreciated. And of course, thanks for the great game!

• AlejBaran
    1,402 Posts
    Tue, Feb 18 2020 11:04 PM

I've been wondering exactly the same.

Thank you for your post and yes, it would be very good and recommended that the website will be maintained.

I hope we get an answer to your question directly from someone from the WGT staff.

Cheers

• TopShelf2010
    10,880 Posts
    Wed, Feb 19 2020 5:45 AM

• MarchieB
    1,525 Posts
    Wed, Feb 19 2020 7:13 AM

Don I don’t believe the OP is asking about the game itself but rather the WGT.com website (Forums / player Account page / Player Profile page)

As far as I can tell this website doesn’t really use Flash. I am able to log in and use almost all the functions from my non-flash phone's OS Browser. The only functions that do not work are the three buttons above a players profile (add friend / remove friend / message) The My messages button does work and you can message with others but only if there is an existing message thread started with them. You cannot initiate a new message without flash. 

• TopShelf2010
    10,880 Posts
    Wed, Feb 19 2020 7:30 AM

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Wed, Feb 19 2020 8:24 AM

TopShelf2010:
    There has been official word on what will become of the flash version even though Champ hinted that it would still be available.

"no" would be the real (missing) key word ;-)) 

• TopShelf2010
    10,880 Posts
    Wed, Feb 19 2020 8:27 AM

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,497 Posts
    Wed, Feb 19 2020 9:34 AM

Seems like no one from WGT will give us any reply on this after all.

No need to apologize, Don. You've got valid points there.

I was only referring to the website but now that it is brought up, I firmly believe the flash version should be remained even after the end of its official support because everyone should enjoy it the way they want. The only issue would be to find workarounds but fortunately, we've got people like Scott so shouldn't be a problem.

• dedBuNNy
    1,919 Posts
    Wed, Feb 19 2020 12:40 PM

The entire menu on the left side of this website is Flash, if you're seeing that then your browser supports Flash.

You can't even log on to the main website without having a Flash plugin running as the user/pass is Flash/AS.

As D-Day looms closer, more and more browsers will kill it, they're not going to wait until the last day, some already have. Just make sure you keep some 'old' installers around and kill Update option. Then it's up to TG/WGT to keep the servers online. 

Adobe doesn't care, their is no licensing issues or anything of that nature, doesn't matter to them if people keep on supporting Flash content, they just aren't going to have anything to do with the player anymore.

There really is nothing stopping WGT from keeping the game servers up and running, they could even create content still... There just needs to be a reliable server to download various browsers which support the player is all. Doesn't even have to be WGT/TG.

I suspect you won't see that happen though, just a hunch.... lol

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,497 Posts
    Wed, Feb 19 2020 8:18 PM

So let me get this straight.

Adobe won''t care whether someone keeps on using flash or not, just that they won't support the product any more and won't be responsible for any damage or loss resulted by using it after its official doom day.

On the WGT side, they won't be liable for keeping the good old flash version so there's no harm for them even if they don't "kill" it.

It will be basically... entirely up to players to procure whatever needed to continue palying the flash and take any risks involved.

Well.......... sounds like the original flash version ain't dead to me. 

RSS