Forums

Help › Forums

The Best Player You've Never Seen.

Sat, Dec 26 2009 9:30 AM (15 replies)
  • PAGES
  • BOFFMEN
    337 Posts
    Wed, Nov 11 2009 8:23 PM

He could break 70 playing either right-handed or left-handed.

He had 55 holes-in-one...and in the 1934 Chicago Open, he made two of them BACK to BACK, the first on a par 3 (187 yds), the second on on par 4 (347 yds).

Three times in Open competition, he shot scores in the 50's.

One day he played 18 holes in 57 minutes (walking) and shot 69.

He had at least 4 drives over 420 yds.

By age 12 he consistently shot in the 60's...by 14 he turned pro.

Sadly, "Because of his ethnic looks and unorthodox method, he was shunned by the PGA of America and never got a chance to display his skill on the national stage."

• TheHustler1
    1 Posts
    Thu, Nov 12 2009 4:50 PM

thats sad,its happened to alot of reallly talented golfers

• HigherThanYall
    51 Posts
    Fri, Nov 13 2009 2:42 PM

50 plus Hole in ones...thats crazy.I personal have 24 Hole in ones.....All recored by Team Titliest witch I was sponserd by for 7 years ...I got sponserd at the age of 12...

• BOFFMEN
    337 Posts
    Fri, Nov 13 2009 5:41 PM

I thought by now someone would've guessed his name.

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Fri, Nov 13 2009 5:48 PM

Guessed? Who needs a guess when you've got Google? I looked him up instantly... A disciple of his apparently gives golf lessons nowadays on his unorthodox swing methods, a one-hour lesson costs only about $1250 or at any rate a few hundred dollars...  

• Vardon
    50 Posts
    Fri, Nov 13 2009 6:25 PM

Is this a joke or for real?  If it's for real, who is it?

• Joeyola
    1,210 Posts
    Fri, Nov 13 2009 8:16 PM

Count Yogi...Ok, do I win a prize?

Joey

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Sat, Nov 14 2009 4:46 PM

I love a good fable. This one is very precious. It reminds me of a word that everyone uses and understands the meaning of..it is a word used in print and vocalised daily, and yet, it is not in any dictionary in the world...the word? guilible.

• BOFFMEN
    337 Posts
    Sat, Nov 14 2009 7:25 PM

“The Best Player You’ve Never Seen” is Chapter 47 in George Peper’s book

The Secret of Golf.

Peper was the Editor-In-Chief of Golf Magazine for 25 years.

Chapter 15 is about Ben Hogan’s classic Five Lessons: The Modern Fundamentals of Golf.

Chapter 29 is about Moe Norman and Jack Kuykendall’s Natural Golf.

Back to Count Yogi, according to Peper, “Despite the admiration and support of his peers-Hogan, Snead, Nelson, and Palmer among them-Yogi never gained the legitimacy he so wanted.”

Not a very gullible group.

...would you like some whipped cream with your humble pie?

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Sat, Nov 14 2009 9:58 PM

I know the book. What you need to understand is two things. Harry Frankenberg was never anything above a mediocre low life driving range pro who remained in that position until he went lower. Number two is that Mr. Peper is somewhat respected in his trade, but his book was not written for the sake of accurate history, but his last chance to make a buck based upon a great deal of storytelling, or if you will, fish stories from the long dead list of people now unable to validate the truth of what he wrote. Nevertheless, it is a fascinating fable.

• PAGES
RSS